Too low for too long?

Options
I'm a 6' 2" male at 193 lbs, and am working on body fat loss. I'm doing strength training 3 days a week. 4 months ago I had my calories at 1,500. I did that for 2 weeks. Then I switched down to 1,300. After some much needed advice, I brought my calories up to 1,800.

My question is this: Would there be any benefit to doing maintenance calories for a week or two, to kind of balance out the month of calories being too low, or should I just stick with my current 1,800 deficit?

Thanks for any feedback!

Replies

• kelsully
    kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    I do not think it is necessary to bump up the calories any more if you still want to lose, unless of course you feel like you are losing too fast or you are feeling hungry all the time.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    You might hear about something called a "diet break," in which people eat at maintenance for a couple of weeks before resuming their deficit. However, this is usually done if the person is having trouble losing weight. I guess it sort of shocks the system? I'm not sure. If you're losing weight, there's no reason to change anything.
  • trustymutsi
    trustymutsi Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    You might hear about something called a "diet break," in which people eat at maintenance for a couple of weeks before resuming their deficit. However, this is usually done if the person is having trouble losing weight. I guess it sort of shocks the system? I'm not sure. If you're losing weight, there's no reason to change anything.

My weight loss has been pretty slow, but I'm assuming that's been because my calories were so low. Maybe if after a week or two I'm still not losing, I'll try a maintenance week.
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    What are you lifting?
  • sculli123
    sculli123 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    OP I don't think you're eating enough.
  • trustymutsi
    Options
    What are you lifting?

I don't have my diary in front of me, but here's a rough estimate:

Bicep curls: 50 lbs (yes, this is very low, but I'm experiencing pain in my forearms.)
    Dead lifts: 120 lbs
    Squats: 115 lbs
    Should press: 70 lbs
    Bench press: 110 lbs
    Bent over row: 55 lbs each arm.
  • trustymutsi
    Options
    OP I don't think you're eating enough.

Even though it's only 500 calories less than maintenance?