Good program for muscle gain?(beginner)

Options
Okay so I'm trying to gain muscle,slight surplus
With emphasis on pre and post workout nutrition
And adequate protein. Is this a good routine? I made it up
Myself,personally my body didn't respond well to 5x5 super
Heavy lifting. Gave me bruises and left me weak.

I alternate this routine every other day

A.
Squats,3x8
Incline bench,3x8
Barbell row,3x8
Oh press,3x8
Lat pull down,3x8
Weighted push ups,3x8

B.
Deadlift,1x8 top set
Close grip bench press,3x8
Barbell row,3x8
Oh press,3x8
Barbell curl,3x8
Weighted tricep dips,3x8

I always do the max number of reps that I possibly
Can on each set WITHOUT going to failure.
I workout every other day and alternate between the two.
Once I get 3x8,I up 5 pounds and repeat,primarily focusing
On progressive overload.
Is this routine good for a beginner?
Thanks

Replies

• LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    No. Stick with Stronglifts 5x5.

Bruises? Improve form.

Left you weak? The first time you start lifting you will feel like death no mater what program.

If you have no clue what you're doing, you can't make up a routine. If you were "SUPER HEAVY LIFTING" starting 5x5 you were doing it WRONG.

Start with the bar.
  • LazSommer
    Options

Barbell curl,3x8

And no.
  • EllaIsNotEnchanted
    EllaIsNotEnchanted Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    People (like LazSommer) are going to list exercises that work for them. Is this routine working for you?

here is a program picker: http://www.rohitnair.net/pp/#muscle_gain/aesthetics/whole_body
    do your research and find out if any of these programs seem interesting to you. Play around with the picker, read up on them, and go- I'll try out this one.

However, if your program is working- no problem. I see compound lifts. I see push/pull. I would probably add pull-ups. That is just me.

Bruising can be because of the position of the bar. Is it too high and set on bone? Make sure you are placing on deltoid (coushiony part of the shoulder).
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    You start with the bar in Stronglifts 5x5 and slowly work your way up. That is important. You don't start that program super heavy.

Maybe you should try again.

I don't see anything wrong with your current program if you are lifting really heavy when doing it. Progressive loading is key.
  • Clarifications
    Options

Barbell curl,3x8

And no.

Biceps are an actual muscle and though compounds work
    Them indirectly,curls work them more directly so i don't see your reasoning.

I posted videos of my form on here and actually got positive
    Feedback,it wasn't my form. Every body is different,thanks for the
    Input but just because I'm not doing 5x5 doesn't mean im not lifting heavy.
    It's just a little lighter,which for MY body is good.
    Cns is more effected by low rep training anyways,im trying
    To gain improvements in muscle,not cns,which though they
    Somewhat go together,they are different goals and 5x5
    Isn't gonna get me there.
  • LazSommer
    Options

Barbell curl,3x8

And no.

I'll give it one more try for you.

You will not progress 3x8 5 lbs a week as consistently with your program as with a real beginner program.

Increasing your bicep size doing curls does nothing for you.

5x5 isn't heavy lifting in the beginning. You should be starting WITH THE BAR. There should be no difference in the starting weight no matter what program you are doing. Unless you can't do the bar.
  • LazSommer
    Options
    In the end, though, you can be as defensive as you want of your expert program and take whatever advice you wish. It's your body and your gains (or lack there of).

If you really want to learn more about lifting, head over to a weight lifting forum and see what they think about your program.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

Barbell curl,3x8

And no.

I think you're making things into somewhat of a black and white by stating that 5x5 won't get you to your hypertrophy goals. Add 100lbs to your squat over 6 months and a slight calorie surplus and I guarantee you your legs will grow.

Now having said that, if you don't want to do a 5x5 there's nothing wrong with that. There are other programs that work quite well that aren't 5x5.

All pros is a solid beginning program and it's in a higher rep range -- maybe that will suit your needs more or at least your preferences:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=4195843
  • LazSommer
    Options

Barbell curl,3x8

And no.

I think you're making things into somewhat of a black and white by stating that 5x5 won't get you to your hypertrophy goals. Add 100lbs to your squat over 6 months and a slight calorie surplus and I guarantee you your legs will grow.

Now having said that, if you don't want to do a 5x5 there's nothing wrong with that. There are other programs that work quite well that aren't 5x5.

All pros is a solid beginning program and it's in a higher rep range -- maybe that will suit your needs more or at least your preferences:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=4195843

At least listen to this dude.
  • Clarifications
    Options
    In the end, though, you can be as defensive as you want of your expert program and take whatever advice you wish. It's your body and your gains (or lack there of).

If you really want to learn more about lifting, head over to a weight lifting forum and see what they think about your program.

Thank you for your advice and acknowledging the fact
    That my program is indeed an expert one.
  • LazSommer
    Options

Is that a haiku?
  • Clarifications
    Options

Is that a haiku?

Yes. I've been waiting for a moment like this to show
    Off my poem skills.
    You seem like you wanted it.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    A good program is progressive with deload mechanisms. Nothing particularly wrong with full body 3x8 for a young man, but see first sentence.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I would suggest 5x5 for your major compound lifts (bench, deads, squat, ohp) but on your accessory lifts I would suggest 8-12 rep ranges. Creating your own program as a beginner should not be done when there are so many great tried tested and true programs out there.

did you build deloads into your program, is the rest period enough, etc.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    So- I'm not seeing anything crazy wrong with your program- but as a proclaimed beginner- I feel like you perhaps you started off with 5 x 5 incorrectly.

Programming is not for the beginners- it's not setting you up for failure necessairly- but it's certainly not setting you up to make the most of your potential gains.

If I could go back and start lifting all over- I would go back after college when I was ON a program (through the football coach- power and oly lifting) and start a strength oriented program- i'd be a lot further along now for sure.

If you don't like starting strength- try googling for other compound lift- strength programs for beginners.

And bicep curls are a muscle and they need work- but if you are trying to get all the gainz- doing larger muscle groups will be more beneficial than wrapping time up into individual isolation's.

also eat- lotz.
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Eh, as long as your compass is set straight, you can program for yourself. But it takes a bit of work to get your compass straight.

You need to understand the rep ranges, not just what they do, but also the gray area involved. You need to know the fundamental compound motions, and how to balance work. You need to understand set timing, workout structure, and overall scheduling.

Its not THAT hard, it isn't PHD level stuff. If you can pass a HS science class, you can come up with a decent program for yourself, especially if you start with the basics.