i dont believe the scale.

Options
well, this whole issue could be avoided if i actually had my own scale, but as it is, the past 2 times i've weighed myself i've done it hastily in friends bathrooms, fully clothed and in the middle day/evening. despite these facts, the number on the scale was ABSOLUTELY SHOCKING. in fact its higher than even my highest weight ever which i never imagined i would ever get back up to and that was 7 years ago! the thing is, i just dont FEEL that fat. i know i've gained weight since last summer but the biggiebig number on the scales just doesnt make sense to me. is it denial? have i just learned how to dress my fat self better? and now, im terrified to buy my own scale because if thats the truth i dont want to know. :sad:

Replies

• lexistepps
    lexistepps Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I feel ya on this one...before I made my lifestyle change I weighed myself and didn't like what I saw, I was at my heaviest ever!!! So I made a change and feel a lot better, though I still have my fat feeling days!

My suggestion is to buy yourself a scale, weigh something you know the weight of (like a hand weight) and then weigh yourself and account for your scales' difference. I hope this helps, and don't feel bad, everyone has these moments and it's nothing you can't fix with a little healthy diet and exercise :smile:
  • modernfemme
    modernfemme Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I remember when I got older and I got on doctor scales, etc, I was always like LOL THIS THING IS BROKEN. I lived in denial for like years that I was gaining weight and not only that - that I weighed X.

I highly recommend you buy a scale and start addressing the issue - for your health! And before it gets farther out of hand. Weigh yourself every morning to focus (same time every day), and record you weight only once a week.

Don't worry... We've allll been there!
  • xLyric
    xLyric Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Buy your own scale, then weigh yourself one morning, either nude or in pajamas, it doesn't make much difference (your shoes/full daytime wardrobe would) and record that weight. The worst time to weigh yourself is in the evening.

Make sure you weigh before you eat or drink, and some people even like to use the toilet first. (Hey, that little bit can boost your motivation, haha.)

Even if it's still higher than your highest weight, let it go and use that as your motivation to start losing it. I know how you feel though. I've never seen myself as fat because I'm tall enough that it doesn't (to me) look so bad, but when I saw my BMI was obese, it was a shock. But hey, now I'm only 'overweight' so it gets better! :)
  • numberscolors
    Options
    if you don't feel fat, and you like the way you look, then who cares what a number on a scale says?

even though i sometimes don't like the number i see, i weigh myself regularly just to check on my progress. my scale is one of the many helpful tools at my disposal (along with a food diary, tracking measurements, etc) that help me stay on track.

punishing myself for weighing more than i'd like to only hurts my motivation and makes me want to give up more easily!

good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • CarolHudson11
    Options
    Buy your own scale. I used to do the same thing - weigh myself whenever, wherever with clothing and at least a half-days worth of food in me. I got my own scale, waited until the next morning, used the bathroom, took my clothes off and stepped on the scale. I was pleasantly surprised....I didn't weigh as much as all the other scales said. I was very excited. And, even if this isn't the case for you, at least you'll have a true baseline from which to begin this journey.

Good luck and we're all here to support you! :flowerforyou:
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    Been there. None of us gained weight overnight. We look at it every day and just don't see it. Cothes that are suddeny seem tight must have "shrank" since we last wore them. I saw it in pictures....but my answer was to just start taking pictures from the neck up. Even then, my face was very round, and it just wasn't "me" in the pictures.

I agree w/everyone else. Invest in your own scale. You can get an accurate digital scale for about $30 these days. Well worth the investment!! When it's staring you in the face every morning you can't avoid it!

There is nowhere to go but down!
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    I'd buy a scale for yourself... or at least use the same friend's scale a few weeks in a row! I know I was shocked to see my starting number too (also on a friend's scale). Once I finally got my own scale a few weeks later I still hated the number (even though it was 5 pounds less -- yay!). Since then... I am starting to get down to a number that is slightly more acceptable to me. I still don't like it but I know it is a valid number.

I am one who can put on A LOT of weight and still wear the same clothes and not feel there has been any change. That also applies to losing weight for me. So... if you do want to lose some weight, a scale may help you in feeling there is some progress there too. There have been many times I've tried to "diet" to lose weight and gave up a few months in because I didn't think there had been any change. This time... I have a scale... I *know* I've lost almost 30 pounds... and I can still not really see or feel a big difference. But I'm keeping up with it because that scale keeps telling me that the numbers are dropping ever so slowly... and maybe someday in the next few months I'll get back down to the weight that I *thought* I was. Without having that scale to measure progress I would have given up months ago.
  • lazyslug
    Options
    I weigh once a week, in whatever I am wearing, and scales are on carpet (I am so lazy). I don't really care about the fluctuation as long as in the long run I am losing.
  • etherethnic
    Options
    thanks so much for all the replies! it really helps. i really do need to face the facts. I'll buy a scale tomorrow. im feeling better already:smooched: