Can I replace salt with soy sauce?

Options
I have always consumed a hell of a lot of salt. I put it on everything (just savoury, obviously) and I reckon I take in more than I should and don’t drink enough, which could be a contributory reason to my stalling in recent weeks. I have decided to go cold turkey (which, ironically, tastes far better with salt) and give up adding salt to my food and basically “train myself” to enjoy food without it again.

I have been using pepper as an alternative flavouring and enjoying it, but I am still missing the salt. Would soy sauce be an ok substitute or would it be counter-productive as far as too much sodium goes?

Replies

• endermako
    endermako Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I switched FROM soy sauce to salt instead. Soy sauce has a lot more sodium than just a dash of salt. I use two dashes of salt and pepper on my 1 cup of brown rice for lunch and i'm right as rain.
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    If you enjoy salt, I recommend you set MFP to monitor both sodium and potassium.

From there, drink an entire extra glass of water with any heavy salt meals, and ensure you get plenty of potassium throughout the day. (A red skinned potato is a wonderful source of potassium).

Water will help dilute the extra sodium, and potassium will help the kidneys quickly process and remove sodium from your body.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Soy sauce pretty much is salt. So you wouldn't really be making a substitution, sodium is sodium as far as your body is concerned.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    If you do not have a medical reason to give up salt then don't do it. Drink plenty of water and that will flush the sodium away. I am an old southern girl with southern taste. Never in a million years will I not eat salt in my food in some form. Even if you don't add it, many foods are made with sodium, anyway. Moderation is the key!
  • natstar26
    natstar26 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    soya sauce is high is sodium which is salt.... so its all the same really...
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    Try that Mrs Dash. It is lower in sodium with a lot of flavor.

I dont use it Mrs Dash. I love my Lawry's Season Salt.

My dad and sister have a bad habit of putting salt on everything on their plate without even tasting the food first.
  • jaygreen55
    jaygreen55 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Soy sauce is high in salt but several companies (like Kikoman) make reduced sodium versions that have less
  • h7463
    h7463 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Look in the salt/spice section for 'Original No-Salt' sodium free salt alternative. Doesn't taster quite as 'salty', but it's better than no salt at all.
  • jwooley13
    jwooley13 Posts: 243
    Options
    Adding lemon or lime juice over the top of something often satisfies that savory craving for me and cuts down significantly on the amount of salt I put on my food. I'm a salt junkie, but when I became more mindful of my sodium intake I definitely noticed that I felt less bloated most days. Don't cut it out entirely, but moderation is important.
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    You can do whatever you choose to do!

Replace salt with soy sauce? If you like salt, keep salt. If you like the flavor of the soy sauce, get the low sodium alternative, it's really good.