Vaction next week

Options
I am going to FL (from NY) next Thursday. I am very excited; I am also nervous because my mom has already asked me, "Where do you want to go to eat?" Part of me wants to stay on track- especially since I am new at MFP and have lost a couple of pounds. We are going for 10 days, so it is a while! My mom and my aunt that we are going to visit both love to go out to eat. Part of me is thinking, I'll just take the weight off when I get back. Although, that's what got me in this position in the first place! What should I do?!?!

Replies

• BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,068 Member
    Options
    dont track, just make sensible choices. i did this on my christmas vacation to mexico and somehow ended up losing a couple pounds. its a vacation, so relax, just make sure you get back on track afterwards, itll only take you a couple weeks to burn off any fat that you gain in that time (if you do end up gaining at all)
  • Chickee8586
    Chickee8586 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I agree. While out you can make sensible choices for your eating and be mindful of portion size. If you are given a meal that is larger than wanted/needed ask for a to go box right away and fill it up before you start on your food.
  • BiancasHusband
    BiancasHusband Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    If you go to chain restaurants, you can look up the calories online and be ready with what to order when you get there. Make sure you exercise and you can still stay on track when on vacation.
  • peacheslcg
    peacheslcg Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I would try to track where possible when on vacation. I didn't complete a lot of the days, but I didn't want to get out of the habit of doing it. I also tried to be active. I went and worked out when others were sleeping. If I had dessert or what's not, I didn't feel too bad about it, since I was getting some exercise in daily.
  • IGbnat24
    IGbnat24 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Enjoy yourself but be smart about it. Avoid bread, pasta and potatoes--ask for extra veggies as a side instead. Ask for dressings, and sauces on the side and just use a little. The weather will be nice so take the opportunity to walk the beaches from pier to pier. Have fun!
  • R_Woodruff
    R_Woodruff Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Just make some good choices and splurge a little, it's your vacation! I just got back from FL and I had "gained" 10 lbs, within a week I was back down to normal (all water weight). I ate what I wanted, but still used portion control as a rule of thumb. Eat till you're full not gorged. You'll be fine, just go back to normal when you get home. Have a great trip!
  • jaygreen55
    jaygreen55 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I just try to be as active as possible on vacation so I burn the extra calories I eat. Walk, hike, play tennis, swim etc. You don't have to be at work so there's no need to be a couch potato
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    If you go to chain restaurants, you can look up the calories online and be ready with what to order when you get there. Make sure you exercise and you can still stay on track when on vacation.

+1