inches vs pounds

Options
Ok so I'm 5'2 currently 126.6 lbs, my goal weight is 125 lbs and i started at 141 lbs- yay me! My measurements in inches are 34 (breast) 27 (waist) 39 (hips) 12 (neck& arms). I'm actually happy with how i look now but would love to just lose another inch off my waist and arms. I've been losing about .5 pounds a week and doing a lot of weight training along with cardio at least 60 minutes 5 days out the week. my question is, will building muscle help get the last inch off or should i focus more on cardio to shed more fat off my midsection? should i still eat a deficit? I'm kind of confused so I'd really appreciate any advice that'll help.thanks in advance

Replies

• Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    If your goal is fat loss which is what will give you inch loss then yes you should still eat at a deficit.

You should keep up your strength training but not to build muscle (as you are at a deficit) but rather to keep up your strength and retain your muscle.

Once you drop that fat you can evaluate your appearance and if you think you would benefit from some extra muscle you would actually want to eat at a small surplus (extra calories) and lift heavy. Bigger muscle can actually end up giving you a tighter fitter look (flatter stomach etc). If you don't lose the fat first though that muscle will still be covered.
  • bald_navy_wife
    bald_navy_wife Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Okay now i understand thanks a lot!
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    If your goal is fat loss which is what will give you inch loss then yes you should still eat at a deficit.

You should keep up your strength training but not to build muscle (as you are at a deficit) but rather to keep up your strength and retain your muscle.

Once you drop that fat you can evaluate your appearance and if you think you would benefit from some extra muscle you would actually want to eat at a small surplus (extra calories) and lift heavy. Bigger muscle can actually end up giving you a tighter fitter look (flatter stomach etc). If you don't lose the fat first though that muscle will still be covered.

This is great info.
  • dmenchac
    dmenchac Posts: 447 Member
    Options

Nothing else to see here folks.
  • spara0038
    spara0038 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info- I'm pretty much at the same height/weight as you with the same stats. Helpful info!
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I stopped losing WEIGHT a year ago, but am still losing inches. I would do it faster if I lifted heavy or was ambitious, but I'm not.

What I did do was buy a Pilates ball chair I sit on all day at work and walk 45 minutes a day. I've lost 2" on the waist and 2" on the hips in the last year. I'm 5'10", 150 lbs, 38, 28, 39. It's amazing how much your body can change while remaining at the same weight.
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options

This is exactly what I was looking for with my post the other day! I have to learn how to ask the right questions. I needed this too. Thank you.