Gym fears....

Options
2»

Replies

• rayneface
    rayneface Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Glad you're okay - I am sure many people were thankful for your story. It's true people either don't pay attention, don't care or are too worried about themselves - which is great, people really shouldn't worry what others are up to afterall the gym is there for self improvement!
    I've fallen off a treadmill before too. If it weren't for my best friend being on a machine right beside me talking to me, I don't think anyone would have known it happened either
  • reddz12
    reddz12 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Perfect example! I'm sorry that it was made of you but I'm so glad you've shared your story, and I also and hoping for a full recovery on your end! Kudos for restarting.. and then finishing the workout!!
  • ekmcdan
    ekmcdan Posts: 38
    Options
    Loving these stories everybody...

My first day back at the gym, I didn't eat properly(enough) that day and i drank too much water while I was on the elliptical... I was excited to be back and pushed myself so hard I projectile puked water (that went in all directions through my fingers, was trying to hold it back) all over the machine and (get this) my husband's face... I was mortified. No one saw me though, except one girl who was behind me who gave me a look of sympathy (bless her). LOL I still felt it in the morning.... it was horrible. :laugh:
  • debrag12
    debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
    Options
    People actually use the clips on the treadmills? Never seen anyone use them when I've been at the gym
  • NonDebutante3dot0
    NonDebutante3dot0 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I would have asked if you were OK if I was nearby. But it can be sketchy. Often when I ask someone who has fallen if they are OK, I get the sense they wish I'd simply ignored the...infelicity.

OMG, gym fears! I had to approach a gym for the first time in stages: it was almost a phobia. Hiring a personal trainer made me feel much more comfortable learning to use the equipment and organizing a balanced workout. Expensive, but worth every penny if you find the right match.
  • laurenawolf
    laurenawolf Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I've never fallen, but LORDY nothing makes me fart like the elliptical machine. I don't know what it is but it just jiggles out the gas CONSTANTLY. Nothing is more embarrasing then letting one loose and having a handsome stranger decide to use the machine next to you....:embarassed:

You just made my entire day! It made me think about when people fart to the beat of their laugh!

Anyways, OP, I am glad you found humor in this awful situation. I have done that before. I have also fallen off the bicycle seat on a stationary bike, and landed right on the frame holding it all together. I don't think I could pee for a week.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    So...I ate **** at the gym today..... Apparently those safety clips are there for a reason that I understand now on treadmills! I was doing my warm-up and I got sidetracked by a T.V to my right and apparently while watching said T.V. I started to walk that way... Well I ended up walking on the part of the treadmill that doesn't move, falling on my knees then almost started to crawl at the speed of the treadmill before I realized how ridiculous I look so I just fell off the back of it cause it wouldn't stop..... I took a second to shake it off and laugh as I get up saying to myself "that's why you pay attention on a treadmill!' There were quite a bit of morning gym goers there and even a lady using the treadmill directly behind me. NO ONE SAID ANYTHING! No one laughed, no one asked if I was okay....now I think that is probably a blessing but it sorta made me feel like those random strangers didn't care (sad face) Anyways...I'm okay and I got up and started my workout over and was able to complete it. I did get a fancy rug/treadmill burn on my left knee but nothing to serious. I took some ibuprophen for the little bit of pain I was feeling when I got home but I forsee a full recovery! Moral of the story...If you are afraid or anxious about going to the gym...don't be...cause people really don't pay attention to you....even when you eat **** on a treadmill :-) HAPPY FRIDAY!

they may or may not have cared, but i think for the most part they were trying to save you from embrassment.

they probably figured you were ok when you got back on the treadmill lol
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    LOL, that's messed up. Glad you're ok.
  • willywonka_71
    willywonka_71 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Glad you are ok! And I am sure if you had not got up (more serious injury) someone would have helped you.

That being said...everyone has embarrassing moments. I have a lot. It's a gift.

But a gym moment that comes to mind was hitting my head on the Smith Machine bar (the part sticking out on the side).

Could be why I never use the Smith Machine anymore LOL (well for other reasons too)
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I've never fallen, but LORDY nothing makes me fart like the elliptical machine. I don't know what it is but it just jiggles out the gas CONSTANTLY. Nothing is more embarrasing then letting one loose and having a handsome stranger decide to use the machine next to you....:embarassed:

You just made my entire day! It made me think about when people fart to the beat of their laugh!

Anyways, OP, I am glad you found humor in this awful situation. I have done that before. I have also fallen off the bicycle seat on a stationary bike, and landed right on the frame holding it all together. I don't think I could pee for a week.

you squat and dead lift enough- you learn how to crop dust at the gym.

it's just normal.

My only issues is when I'm ripping one jump roping- I'm like- I wonder if anyone heard that or not? was it silent? loud? I can't tell MY MUSIC"S TOO LOUD.

And there is always that ONE GUY- who isn't wearing head phones. Like. jeeze- really?

oh well.

it's fairly normal. LMAO
  • civilizedworm
    civilizedworm Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    ^Yep. Lucky when most people are downwind from me, they are usually on the other side of the gym on the treadmills with iPods plugged securely in.

Except for last weekend.
  • WonderWhitney11
    WonderWhitney11 Posts: 78 Member
    Options

I think everyone has a humiliating moment or two at the gym. Whether its falling, almost falling, passing wind because you're straining or stretching. It happens.

:) This! Not so much falling off of things... but I work out with a trainer (who is adorable, petite and gorgeous, of course), and it's always so awkward when she's holding my feet for sit ups or something and I get that gassy feeling... I've yet to actually audibly let one go during a workout, but it's bound to happen some day! :D

Good attitude, OP! I laugh at myself a lot too. :)
  • kristafb
    kristafb Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Ok this made me LOL! I joined the gym last week for the first time in my 47 years and have worked out twice now with a trainer. Today I decided to go in on my own & do the circuit of strength machines, which my trainer showed me how to use last session. I'm going great, on my 5th machine I'm sitting there where you put your arms against the pads & liftup with your elbows (sorry don't know the names yet) and I just can't do it. No matter how low I put the weight I'm struggling with every lift. I get to about 6 lifts and a rather handsome young man who is walking by says "you know, its a lot easier if you face the right way on that machine" Well color me embarassed! I was sitting on the machine backwards!!! DOH!:ohwell:
  • ksuh999
    ksuh999 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Yeah this happens to me also... when I'm watching the TV. Yes, the TV at the gym. Not girls. Nope. TVs.
  • H0llyG0lightly
    H0llyG0lightly Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Loving these stories everybody...

My first day back at the gym, I didn't eat properly(enough) that day and i drank too much water while I was on the elliptical... I was excited to be back and pushed myself so hard I projectile puked water (that went in all directions through my fingers, was trying to hold it back) all over the machine and (get this) my husband's face... I was mortified. No one saw me though, except one girl who was behind me who gave me a look of sympathy (bless her). LOL I still felt it in the morning.... it was horrible. :laugh:

Oh man, awesome!

Mine's not *that* bad - when on the treadmill, I have a tendency to get my arms caught in my earphone cord and send my iPod flying a few feet a way from me.
  • gpeach1
    gpeach1 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Mine is not as funny as many of these. But here goes.

Was on a stepmill and stopped to change my music without stopping the machine. In one second I am down hanging off the bars the stairs moving still. Also found out the hard way if unplugged the stairs are not locked in place. Climb up put one foot on it stays. Put the rest of my body weight and whoosh there I am hanging off the bars again. Being so high up and dropping low so quick does not go unnoticed. Very embarrassing.