Miscarriage Support

Options
I am so lost. I hope someone will be able to respond or help. My miscarriage is not passing. I have been unable to workout, and as a result feel awful. I also don't know why it's not working .....anyone here experience difficulty with not being able to workout due to a miscarriage as well as the miscarriage not passing despite several doses of medication?

Here's kind of a background of what's going on...

I was at 4 weeks. Doctor prescribed

800mcg misoprostol buccally
24 hrs later same (but I took vaginally because nothing happened with the buccal other than cramps)

the second does, TEN hours later, intense cramping a few clots passed. Spotted. Nothing.

Went back to doctor. Everything still intact except for the yolk sac

Gave me 1200mcg to take again buccally or vaginally, 24 hrs apart.

Took the first vaginally last night. Intense cramping about 7/10 for hours. One drop of blood.

Stupid, I called the doctor they said buccal was faster into my system. Took the next dose bucally this morning.

That was three hours ago and I have chills and a headache.

After FOUR doses of this stuff, I am thinking my body is just immune to it.

I have an intensely sensitive cervix (passed out during both iud insertions with misoprostol!) in the past.

In Canada they don't fully put you out for a D&C it's called twilight sedation. Has anyone had this?? Especially with a sensitive cervix? Experiences? I am terrified for the pain and my future fertility.

What about delayed reactions to the medications? The doctor said she'd seen delayed reactions of days or weeks. I just want this all to pass and start working out again. :(

Replies

• MeganAnne89
    MeganAnne89 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    First and foremost you need to take care of yourself.

It's okay that you can't exercise right now, don't worry about it. You need to do what's right for you and for your body and if your body is telling you that it can't handle exercising right now, then listen to that and don't push it.
  • GeorgieGuitar
    Options
    I can't offer much in the way of advice as i've never been through anything like this, but I really do hope you feel better soon, and please don't worry about exercising. If you physically can't, it's SO important that you listen to what your head and body are telling you. A few days aren't going to make any difference in the grand scheme of things. Your health comes first xxx
  • mlt2908
    mlt2908 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I have had two miscarriages - both after the birth of my first child (she is almost 19). I did not have the issues you seem to be having; I did not have to take medication and did not have to have D&Cs. I miscarried both times at about 10 weeks. I DID go on to have another child (he's almost 15) so it has been quite a few years since I had the miscarriages (I am now 52). They were both truly a difficult time emotionally, and then when I did get pregnant with my son, I was terrified the entire time as I was afraid it would happen again...but it did not. Please don't beat yourself up on not working out - you need time to heal physically and emotionally. If you start feeling fine physically, maybe getting back into an exercise routine will help bring some normalcy back and make you feel better, but don't push yourself just for the sake of working out. I did go to one support session at the hospital after the second miscarriage. There was only myself and one other couple in the group, and it did help to talk with the counselor and the other couple. I am so thankful that I was able to go on and have my wonderful son - I can't imagine life without him, so he was a blessing after the two miscarriages. I hope you feel better soon.
  • conniedj
    conniedj Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I'm really sorry for your loss. I have had 2 miscarriages....both passed without D&C. I understand your fears about the D&C, but have several friends who had them and had no fertility issues.

Honestly...if it were me and I felt like working out, I would just work out. The only thing you need to be concerned about is hemorrhaging. I agree with the PP, it is such a hard and heartbreaking time! Regarding the meds....I would give that a rest and just let your body do what it needs to do....D&C if it comes to that.

Hope that you feel better soon!
  • JulieAnn72
    JulieAnn72 Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry for your loss. I have had two miscarriages. I never took medications for either. The first required a D&C. I got the twilight sedation and didn't feel/remember a thing. Unfortunately, there were complications (my OB was an idiot) and I had to have it done again within a week. That time, the sedation wasn't as effective, although I didn't feel anything. But I do remember being in the OR that time. You shouldn't have that issue if you only have it the one time, though. My issue was that it wasn't as effective the second time in such a short time.
  • chelciebrown07
    chelciebrown07 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty much in the exact same position your in now. The doctor said we could maybe wait to see if it comes out naturally but i'm not sure which is more emotionally and physically devastating, having it taken out while i'm unconscious or having to wait around push it out myself. :( I've taken a bit of a break from working out myself because of the stress and emotions, but I think it would actually help a bit for mood lightening sake. If your body is tell you no though, listen to it!
  • So sorry to hear you are going through the same thing. It's so awful isn't it?? I hope we both get results quickly. Feel better.
  • tmaryam
    tmaryam Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    First and foremost, I am deeply sorry for your loss.

Secondly, if you're having chills, please get to an emergency room, or at least report that symptom to your dr and ask if she'd like you to go because that usually indicates an infection.

You're in my prayers. Love & light. :heart:
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Have you checked since the second dose? At 4 weeks, you would not need to pass very much.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    The d&c shouldn't affect future fertility. You can give birth after.

There are sites that specialize in trying to get pregnant and they talk about miscarriage as part of that. I think you'll get better answers there.
  • QueenofHobbies
    Options
    OP my heart goes out to you. I had a miscarriage at 14 weeks between my 2nd and 3rd child (I have 4 now). I never took any drugs and I was sedated, I do not have a sensitive cervix, and I had a D&C. I cannot remember what kind of sedation it was but it knocked me out and frankly I was so emotionally upset I was just a zombie about it all. My doctor was an aggressively acting one though- she didn't even ask me if I just wanted to pass it naturally- but looking back I'm glad I just had the D&C. The two pregnancies following my miscarriage I was wracked with worry but they were both completely standard and healthy and born perfectly healthy.
  • mommysockmonkey
    mommysockmonkey Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I've been pregnant 9 times and have 4 wonderful kids, so I've been through it too. The medication is not always effective. Has your doctor discussed a D&C? In my case there was a medical reason that I could not have a D&C, and had to just wait it out....which is awful. Hugs to you and feel free to PM me if you have any questions or if you just need some support.