Cooking Challenge: Black Beans

Options
13»

Replies

• karriecook
    karriecook Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    voted and looking forward to the next challenge. Eager to see what it is!
  • noiinteam
    noiinteam Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    bump
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    Can it be a copied recipe?

I just had a filling delicious recipe wit black beans last week.
  • barefootbeauty
    barefootbeauty Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I wish I'd seen this post before today - I LOVE black beans and make them at least twice a week. I'm definitely trying a couple of these recipes and I'm going to keep my eyes open for the next challenge. :)
  • inskydiamonds
    inskydiamonds Posts: 2,519 Member
    Options
    voted and looking forward to the next challenge. Eager to see what it is!

It's up! http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/149380-cooking-challenge-red-lentils
  • 60HzShuffle
    Options
    I like my turkey burger surprise with black beans, but these recipes are so good, I'm afraid to post it!
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    I can't believe I missed this! Black beans are soooo good and I make a killer, easy Korean style pan friend black bean side dish that is a sure hit. Damn! :grumble: Bumping for the recipes anyway. Thanks everyone!
  • mrslotfy
    Options
    NAME OF RECIPE:
    Black Bean and Avocado Burritos

INGREDIENTS:
    1T Olive Oil
    2 cans Black Beans, drained
    1 Avocado, peeled, pitted, and diced into chunks
    2 cloves Garlic, minced
    4 Tortillas (I use Whole Wheat)
    1 cup shredded Cheddar Cheese

DIRECTIONS:
    1) Heat olive oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add beans and garlic and season with salt and pepper. Cook, mashing with spoon, until warm about 5 minutes.
    2) Wrap tortillas in paper towel and microwave for 1 minute (this helps them roll). Layout on flat surface and and layer mashed beans, diced avocado, and shredded cheese equally between the four tortillas.
    3) Roll up like burritos, wrap in paper towels, and microwave for about 2 minutes to melt cheese. Slice burritos in half on an angle to make 8 halves.

CALORIES PER SERVING:
    1 half burrito = 255 calories is using regular fat cheese

HOW MANY IT SERVES:
    8 servings

OPINIONS ON HOW IT TASTED, ETC:
    This is a favorite in our house! 1 half burrito is filling and delicious. Very quick and easy to make.

PICTURE (optional):
    http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs417.snc4/47984_426089789260_638469260_5085715_1872174_n.jpg
  • amyadell
    amyadell Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    This one came from www.allrecipes.com It's called "addictive sweet potato burritos" I've made it twice now... both times loved it:) They taste so good and are really satisfying! They are also really big so usually a half of one is enough for a small meal or snack, unless it's your dinner meal!!! Sounded like a weird combination but invited a whack of people over and tried it anyway... everyone thought it was great!!! Great to make and have left over for packed lunches... we've been eating them all week :) A little low fat sour cream and salsa goes great with these too!

Ingredients
    1 tablespoon vegetable oil
    1 onion, chopped
    4 cloves garlic, minced
    6 cups canned kidney beans, drained (almost all reviews say use BLACK BEANS instead... I did!!!)
    2 cups water
    3 tablespoons chili powder
    2 teaspoons ground cumin
    4 teaspoons prepared mustard
    1 pinch cayenne pepper, or to taste
    3 tablespoons soy sauce
    4 cups cooked and mashed sweet potatoes
    12 (10 inch) flour tortillas, warmed (we use whole wheat ones)
    8 ounces shredded Cheddar cheese (I leave the cheese off but of course it's better with cheese on)
    Directions
    1.Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
    2.Heat oil in a medium skillet, and saute onion and garlic until soft. Stir in beans, and mash. Gradually stir in water, and heat until warm. Remove from heat, and stir in the chili powder, cumin, mustard, cayenne pepper and soy sauce. (I found it much easier to put the beans in the blender/food processer with a little less water and THEN put them in the pan with the other stuff... mashed them the first time and it took FOREVER!!!)
    3.Divide bean mixture and mashed sweet potatoes evenly between the warm flour tortillas. Top with cheese. Fold up tortillas burrito style, and place on a baking sheet.
    4.Bake for 12 minutes in the preheated oven, and serve.
    Nutritional Information
    Amount Per Serving Calories: 505 | Total Fat: 8.5g | Cholesterol: 20mg Powered by ESHA Nutrient Database
  • inskydiamonds
    Options
    Voting ends tonight at 5PM PST! Get your votes in!

http://www.scribbld.com/customview.cgi?user=whiskey&styleid=27146
  • inskydiamonds
    Options
    Congratulations to heathersmilez for making the South Western Black Bean Salad! You are the winner of the black bean cooking challenge!

Make sure you enter the red lentil challenge (http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/149380-cooking-challenge-red-lentils) which ends on Saturday!
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for voting for my recipe, such an honour!
  • lisamt83
    lisamt83 Posts: 119
    Options
    Bump
  • mirna_ayala0428
    mirna_ayala0428 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Happyoceangirl
    Happyoceangirl Posts: 1,993 Member
    Options
    Bumpity bump! I'm going to print these and try em out.

Not too sure about the black bean pancakes, but what the heck? :)
  • sharamia
    sharamia Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Yum, I'll try this one for sure.
  • anotheryearolder
    anotheryearolder Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    ohm nom nom yummy stuff here! Getting the printer warmed up...