Hashimoto's - new meds

Options
After years of struggling with a under active thyroid and being on meds that didn't help my symptoms despite having a "therapeutic lab level" I have been diagnosed with Hashimoto's . http://www.medicinenet.com/hashimotos_thyroiditis/article.htm is a good link with info. After some self research I have gotten my MD to switch me from Levothroxine to Armor Thyroid. Today is one week since I started the new med and so far I'm feeling good (still tired, though) and have even seen a weight loss already without changing my habits or upping my work outs.

So I'm wondering if anyone here has been on Armor Thyroid if so has it helped you or made things worse?
Any one diagnosed with Hashimoto's? How are you treated? I'm wondering if there are other treatments....like special diet/ other meds or vitamins I should think about?

Replies

• editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    I have Hashimoto's. I lost way more slowly than most MFPers, so be patient. But I did it just like everybody else—by eating at a deficit. Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

MFP has a Hypothyroidism and Hyperthyroidism group: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/770-hypothyroidism-and-hyperthyroidism
  • luvleigh77
    Options
    I was diagnosed with Hashimotos a couple months ago, I am on synthroid and asked my endro to let me try armour...this was met with resistance. I am still working on it...kaiser :( I have also found a wonderful functional medicine practitioner who is actually caring for me! So I am taking a mountain of supplements, have changed my diet & am still trying to figure this thing out.
  • editorgrrl
    Options
    Per my endocrinologist, I don't avoid any foods, nor eat anything special.
  • cwoyto123
    cwoyto123 Posts: 308
    Options
    Thyroid issues are not an excuse for being overweight.

This is coming from someone who has had hashi's my whole life.
  • kbudd63
    kbudd63 Posts: 10
    Options
    I dunno, but it didn't sound to me like anybody was trying to use Hashimoto's as an excuse for being overweight....

My dad had Hashimoto's for about 5 years, and took drug therapy for it (sorry, I don't know which one). After about 5 years he started to experience occasional "aura" migraines. Went to the Dr about them, and was promptly taken off the thyroid medication. Both the migraines and his Hashimoto's are gone, and this was 15 years ago, and he has had no recurrence of either.

Just thought I'd let you know that there is hope of recovery...
  • Azurite27
    Azurite27 Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    I have Hashimoto's and also had the normal lab results but still having symptoms. I couldn't convince my doc to switch me to Armour but she did agree to switch from generic to name brand Synthroid and it was a life saver. The weight came sliding off and with the help of Melatonin to regulate my sleep I'm doing much better now. I'll see in a couple months if it also had any affect on my thyroid nodule. I find I do best when I balance my macros but I don't know if this is related to the hashi's or just general health including other hormones.
  • editorgrrl
    Options
    My dad had Hashimoto's for about 5 years, and took drug therapy for it (sorry, I don't know which one). After about 5 years he started to experience occasional "aura" migraines. Went to the Dr about them, and was promptly taken off the thyroid medication. Both the migraines and his Hashimoto's are gone, and this was 15 years ago, and he has had no recurrence of either.

Just thought I'd let you know that there is hope of recovery...
    It's far more likely your father was misdiagnosed. Hashimoto's is an autoimmune disease. Your body creates antibodies to attack & destroy your thyroid. Hashi's doesn't go away.

As I said above, MFP has a Hypothyroidism and Hyperthyroidism group: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/770-hypothyroidism-and-hyperthyroidism

Edited to answer the OP's question about treatment. You can take Synthroid (T4), or Synthroid + Cytomel (T3), or Armour (dessicated pig or pig + cow thyroid glands). My endocrinologist tests my levels every 3 months, then adjusts my dosage.