ALMONDS REALLY

Options
naishadr
naishadr Posts: 8 Member
Okay ya'll........ SO I recently submitted a post regarding never feeling satisfied and always hungry. First off thanks to all that have replied but the most vaulable reply was when someone said to start eating almonds in lue of bananas and oranges due to calorie intake.

(Don't take it the wrong way "MIND IN THE GUTTER") But I'm allergic to nuts... They make my mouth itch and my lips swell up, SERIOUSLY. Its not a bad allergy but I'd rather not..... I LOVE pastaschios but the calories for these are ridiculous (and I just brought two large bags... DAMMIT) Ne who, do you all have any other suggestions??

Replies

• ekmcdan
    ekmcdan Posts: 38
    Options
    Well, let's think. The reason nuts were suggested was due to them being high in fat and protein, which keeps you full and satisfied and are essential nutrients. So look for foods that fit in your daily calorie goal, and are high in fat and protein.

Maybe yogurt, cottage cheese, cheese (yay!) and certain meats. Did you know that you can make salmon jerky? That would be a wonderful snack.
  • RLMsFitnessPal
    RLMsFitnessPal Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    You certainly don't want to take a chance on an allergy getting worse over time. It may be mild now, but you never know when you could have a worse reaction. That's certainly understandable. Google "alternatives to nuts" to see what kind of results you get. I did it just out of curiosity. The first link had a page suggesting alternatives like pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, olives, and avocados. The second link suggested those alternatives as well as hummus, soy, and dried fruits. I'd say talk to your doctor since allergies can present serious health consequences if you're not careful. Your doctor should be able to help you determine the nature and extent of your food allergies.
  • rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Piscachios in the shell--it takes a long time to get through a serving.
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    hummus - make your own with chickpeas garlic and lemon in the blender- High protein and good fat too!
    You could also pan fry canned chickpeas with curry spices and snack on them like nuts.
  • glasshalffull713
    glasshalffull713 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Try pairing a carb with a protein. Or a food high in fiber. Or both. Like for example apple with some cheese, some greek yogurt with some blueberries, a hard boiled egg with some whole grain crackers. The combination of carbs (especially complex carbs) and protein will keep you feeling full longer. Fiber also helps keep you full longer so eating foods like oatmeal, apples, etc. will help. And make sure you are drinking enough water! Often thirst can present as hunger.
  • SharonNehring
    SharonNehring Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Hard boiled eggs, cheese, greek yogurt, tuna, chicken, turkey, avocado. Combining a protein with simple carbs really helps too, like apple slices with cheese or frozen banana slices with peanut butter (if you can have it).
  • PiraRainbow
    Options
    I love eating tuna. The light kind in water. I think it's pretty good for you and it leaves me kinda full. I eat one can with one serving of mayo, But no bread. Just the tuna. Maybe try that?
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    Half cup of greek yogurt, half a serving of pistachios, half a tablespoon of honey
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    avocados
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    sauté pumpkin seeds in coconut oil and sea salt- mmmmm!!
  • takeitsleazybraj
    Options
    sauté pumpkin seeds in coconut oil and sea salt- mmmmm!!
    That sounds amazing
  • chantwizzle83
    chantwizzle83 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    A hard boiled egg keeps me full!
  • Dube11
    Dube11 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Here's a trick I use when I get hungry. I get a full glass of water and drink it as fast as I can. Then I eat a string cheese as slowly as I can. By the end of the string cheese I don't feel hungry anymore.
  • hearthwood
    hearthwood Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    If you're not allergic to peanut butter, a tablespoon of all natural peanut butter works for me.