Weight Training to Lose over 100 lbs

Options
Hi, everyone. I am needing some advice on weight training. I used to work out with heavy weights, years and years ago. I have over 100 lbs to lose, at this time. I know there is no way to "spot train," but my legs are large (yes, because of the fat), but are even large, when I was quite a bit smaller.

I was wondering if I should just focus primarily on low intensity cardio , until I lose quite a bit more weight, or should I add deadlifts, squats, lunges, etc to my routine. I have read so many differing articles on whether I should lift heavy with lower reps, or lighter, with higher reps. I'm basically wanting to tone, and not add any bulk, while I burn this fat off these big legs/hips. I don't want to look like a deflated elephant, and want muscle to take place of the fat. I'm NOT afraid of lifting heavy, if it gets me a lean, toned body.

I hope this makes sense, and thanks, in advance, for any advice given.

Replies

• rick_po
    rick_po Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Strength training will be helpful, but there are some things to keep in mind if you're carrying around a lot of excess weight.

You are already lifting your own body weight every day. A body weight squat or lunge might already be heavy lifting. Don't fall into the trap of comparing the plates on your bar with other people's. If you need to start with body weight movements, that's okay. It's also okay to progress to light dumbbells before you try an empty barbell.

Your legs are pretty darn strong already. It's not a disaster if you lose a little muscle as you lose weight.

As you lose weight, some of your lifts will get easier because you weigh less. Make sure you keep pushing yourself and increasing your lifts as you go along.

A combination of cardio and strength training is a great way to go. Heavy and low reps for strength training, to maintain muscle as you lose weight. Cardio to burn a few extra calories.
  • hottieunderconstruction
    Options
    Thanks so much for the response. Yes, I know my legs are strong, since I lifted really heavy, years ago. I'm just not wanting elephant legs, and need to "lean them out."