Breastfeeding ???

Options
New to this application, wanting to lose the baby weight but I am still breastfeeding... how much more calories should I add to my total calories allowed in order to make sure my baby gets what he needs and still lose they weight? Recommended was 1340

Replies

• Natalie0506
    Options
    If you're breastfeeding, you need to add at least 500 more calories per day.
  • superfinnwoman
    Options
    My sister is breastfeeding and using myfitnesspal. She just adds swimming worth 500 calories a day to her exercise log.
  • Shawnalee0703
    Options
    I would ask your dr honestly to be certain because it depends on how healthy your weight is. But I have heard from many that it is around 500 a day. But while breast feeding and moving you shouldn't have any trouble losing baby weight :) Best of luck!
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    Welcome! How old is your baby? Are you exclusively breastfeeding? If you're exclusively nursing (no formula or solid foods) then nursing will burn up to 500 calories per day. Shoot for a range of no fewer than 1500-1800 calories each day.

http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/mom/mom-weightloss.html

Make sure to drink plenty of water -- it's always important, but even more so if you're nursing. And if you're currently eating significantly more calories than your goal, taper down slowly. A sudden drop in caloric intake can cause a drop in milk supply.
  • LittleMissAngi
    LittleMissAngi Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    you can log it too. I don't know what it falls under, maybe breastfeeding?
  • pjsma11498
    pjsma11498 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I breastfed both of my kids and I was always told to add 500 calories to whatever your daily intake of calories should be. You can burn however much you need to in order to lose weight, but if it hasn't been long since delivery, I would check with your doctor first.