Crossfitter Attempts 100 pull-ups! Amazing!

Options
FunkyTobias
FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
hlxjgwy.gif

Replies

• drumbum77DW
    drumbum77DW Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Ridiculous!!!!!! :yawn:
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    hlxjgwy.gif

I think he skipped leg day, "holy skinny legs Batman"
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Mrs Azdak wondered what was wrong when I burst out laughing....

Post this again next time someone starts another "Why R U Hating CrossFit" topic.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    Damn kipping *kitten*. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • FWMagicMike
    FWMagicMike Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Do you know how hard it is to actually do that motion repetitiously?
  • mattjft
    mattjft Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    not very hard when its a gif
  • tross0924
    tross0924 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Not nearly as hard as doing an actual pull up repetitiously?
  • FWMagicMike
    Options
    Not nearly as hard as doing an actual pull up repetitiously?

All I'm saying is I did a lot of "knocking" because of the style, and the unorthodox way of how pull ups were being done. Yes strict pull ups are much harder to get 20 done...100% strict. This style (in the GIF, called a butterfly pull up) is not as easy as it looks. I am still learning how to control my body to bang out even 10 in a row. My body seems to lose the fluidity of it and I need to stop, and retry. It looks so easy but is still a challenge. Hey, give it a try just one session and see how hard it really is.
    And yes, strict looks much nicer than kipping or butterfly. Kipping and butterfly work different muscles and engage more motor units by its style.
    Think of it this way, let's us a push up as an example, if people only agreed that a standard push up is a push up and can only be called a push up, would; tricep, wide arm, divers, lizard, typewriter, uneven, or the many others out there be cheating? All those mentioned work different muscle groups too.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    Just FYI.
    I ain't knocking the style...

It was just a joke what I said. :wink:
  • FWMagicMike
    Options
    Just FYI.
    I ain't knocking the style...

It was just a joke what I said. :wink:

Oh, well played then. Well played.m :drinker:
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Reminds me of the video of the pregnant woman doing the same thing
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    Anyone who uses kipping pull ups as their sole means to judge Crossfit has clearly never taken a CF class, or if they did, they puked in the bucket and were so embarrassed that now they've gotta hate. I would like to say that I just got my first pull up yesterday after 8 months of progressions (I'm a powerlifter who couldn't do a dang pull up). I was NEVER allowed to try a kipping pull up and I am still not allowed to attempt to kip at CF. I have to be strong enough pull off strict pull ups unbroken in succession before I ever even think about doing high reps in a kipping style. I would say that at my box, we do dead hangs more than we do kipping.
  • sculli123
    sculli123 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    Anyone who uses kipping pull ups as their sole means to judge Crossfit has clearly never taken a CF class, or if they did, they puked in the bucket and were so embarrassed that now they've gotta hate. I would like to say that I just got my first pull up yesterday after 8 months of progressions (I'm a powerlifter who couldn't do a dang pull up). I was NEVER allowed to try a kipping pull up and I am still not allowed to attempt to kip at CF. I have to be strong enough pull off strict pull ups unbroken in succession before I ever even think about doing high reps in a kipping style. I would say that at my box, we do dead hangs more than we do kipping.
    The thing is, training to puke in a bucket for the purpose of bragging to friends isn't good training. I've done some CF before too and SOME of the workouts are good for conditioning but a lot of it is dangerous and stupid - i.e. high rep olympic movements with bad form. There are much better ways to get to be able to do 20 rep strict pullups. GTG comes to mind as does a program called the twenty pullups challenge. There's a website with the program and it works even if you can't do pullups yet.
  • rieann84
    rieann84 Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Yeah, just the fact that they have a bucket to puke in nearby makes me S M D H. But, to each their own.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    kipping "pull ups" and pull ups are not the same thing.

I think of cross fit as the zumba of weight training.

it's good- it does a thing. It gets people moving and doing things that they weren't before- and THAT"S GOOD.

But zumba- no matter what you tell yourself is NOT a dance class.
    Much like Cross fit no matter what you tell yourself are not a program for power or oly lifting.

it's a thing to do- and when people do - that's good. But it's not power lifting- it's not oly lifting- and it's not a program.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    The thing is, training to puke in a bucket for the purpose of bragging to friends isn't good training. I've done some CF before too and SOME of the workouts are good for conditioning but a lot of it is dangerous and stupid - i.e. high rep olympic movements with bad form. There are much better ways to get to be able to do 20 rep strict pullups. GTG comes to mind as does a program called the twenty pullups challenge. There's a website with the program and it works even if you can't do pullups yet.

I think you missed her point. Crossfitters do not train with puking in mind.

No one in CF with a brain is promoting high rep Olympic movements with bad form. Generally speaking if you have a large volume you drop your weight dramatically to insure you can maintain good form and stop to rest or stop altogether if you reach a point where form is shot.

Our coaches shut people down regularly when they feel they are doing something dangerous.

It is also strongly suggested that you be strong enough to do multiple pullups from a dead hang before even attempting a kipping pull up.

At the end of they day, whatever program keeps you working out is the best one for you. I did the standard split routine for 10 years. It works, but leaves a lot of gaps. I then moved to more full body programming, which fills in a lot of those gaps (especially building a strong core) and for me Crossfit took that one step further.

If the standard split routine works for you, that's awesome. It doesn't mean Crossfit or any other routine is more dangerous.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    kipping "pull ups" and pull ups are not the same thing.

I think of cross fit as the zumba of weight training.

it's good- it does a thing. It gets people moving and doing things that they weren't before- and THAT"S GOOD.

But zumba- no matter what you tell yourself is NOT a dance class.
    Much like Cross fit no matter what you tell yourself are not a program for power or oly lifting.

it's a thing to do- and when people do - that's good. But it's not power lifting- it's not oly lifting- and it's not a program.

Agree 95%. I do CF three times a week and have started to add in a pure weightlifting day once or twice a week. Because to get better at lifting, you need to lift.

As to it not being a program, I say it depends. Our gym's programming is very much designed with long-term goals in mind over the course of a month or several months.

Our last three or four weeks have been very squat heavy, where the WOD was just straight lifting. I'm sure it will cycle to something else in the next few weeks. We might not always know what it is, but there is always a plan.
  • sculli123
    sculli123 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options

I think you missed her point. Crossfitters do not train with puking in mind.

No one in CF with a brain is promoting high rep Olympic movements with bad form. Generally speaking if you have a large volume you drop your weight dramatically to insure you can maintain good form and stop to rest or stop altogether if you reach a point where form is shot.

Our coaches shut people down regularly when they feel they are doing something dangerous.

It is also strongly suggested that you be strong enough to do multiple pullups from a dead hang before even attempting a kipping pull up.

At the end of they day, whatever program keeps you working out is the best one for you. I did the standard split routine for 10 years. It works, but leaves a lot of gaps. I then moved to more full body programming, which fills in a lot of those gaps (especially building a strong core) and for me Crossfit took that one step further.

If the standard split routine works for you, that's awesome. It doesn't mean Crossfit or any other routine is more dangerous.
    Yes they do train high rep olympic movements. Maybe not at yours but they do them 'for time' thus going for high reps. I train in a lot of different ways to meet certain goals, rather than just training to train. . I wouldn't say I do a 'standard' split though. What I got out of it was circuit training, which i don't have a problem with as a conditioning workout. But all that is another type of conditioning workout, it's not geared toward any goals so therefore is not ideal for someone with real goals other than getting off the couch. It's far from being the be-all-end-all it claims to be. Have seen a lot of injuries from it too. The only form of crossfit I would definitely do again is crossfit football because they do it right. They have a real strength routine (one that is actually programmed well) followed by a crossfit conditioning workout at the end on most days.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    I usually do CF 3x per week, strength training 3x per week and a separate Oly class with separate coaches for 2 hours once per week plus yoga and some hiking/trail running or swimming. Not everyone who does CF does it exclusively. For some of us, it's a good complement to our overall training programs.

I loved gymnastics as a kid and it's fun to do it as an adult. I think the gymnastics elements of CF are really overlooked by most non-Crossfitters. It's something I can't really find in the gym. I did pole for about a year and then my studio closed and my house isn't conducive to it so having a CF as an outlet for my gymnastic interests has been fun.

I've never actually seen anyone puke in the bucket, nor have I puked. I've seen girls puke at basketball practice and I came very close to puking myself at the end of a trail race. I guess we better do away with evil trail running. Mostly I was poking fun at the troll who posted this thread. However, people will/can puke at any point if they are going all out in any activity where they aren't properly conditioned or it's hot, or they ate improperly, etc.