Buoyancy in the swimming pool, what you may not know.

BARBnKS
BARBnKS Posts: 84 Member
They say fat floats & it is so true! Some time ago after reaching 200 lbs (presently weight 279) I discovered I had a special talent which seems to make my close friends & spouse chuckle. That's ok because with this new talent of being able to float upright in the deep end of the swimming pool I no longer have fear of drowning. I can perform all kinds of leg & arm exercises without holding on to anything & has been helpful to get in lots of exercise without added pressure on my back & aching joints, especially my knees. I suppose at some time when I get closer to reaching my goal & have lost a great deal of fat I will lose my buoyancy but that will be ok because I expect to be able to be much more active on land once the extra weight is gone & has quit putting so much pressure on my joints. If you are overweight & didn't realize it you should try it, you may also have this special talent!

Replies

• No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    thats great that you can get in good exercise and not stress your joints.

most people would float if they just relaxed in the water with a full lung of air, but if they tried to do aerobics or whatever thier head would probably go under. people usually drown because they panic.

there was a guy in my lifeguard that had a lot of muscle and very little fat, he sank no matter what lol
  • brc912
    brc912 Posts: 43 Member
    I noticed this as well when I weighed 375... I could "tread water" upright without moving my arms or legs. When I would breath in, I would raise out of the water about 6 inches and when I exhaled I would drop down, but never go under. Now, however, I have to work to stay afloat. But that is a tradeoff I will make EVERY time! :D
  • tibby531
    tibby531 Posts: 717 Member
    I became aware of this after dropping about 50 pounds and jumping into a pool. I sank. and actually had to work to keep my head above water. I had always thought I had been a good swimmer; NOPE! just very buoyant. ;) haha!
  • Very interesting. I did not know that! I wonder if that's why I can never learn to tread water? Doubt it. Thanks for the post, Barb! : )
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,740 Member
    I floated to an extent that seemed to be exactly the same at 300 lb as I do at 180 lb.
  • BARBnKS
    BARBnKS Posts: 84 Member
    Evelynn, you could not float & tread water easily because you don't have any fat! I sank when I was skinny like you. Hope no one will go to the deep end & jump in just cause I mentioned this. You could be like the muscular guy who sank to the bottom. Seltzermint, that would be so cool if I can still float upright when I get down to 180!
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,740 Member
    that would be cool (I guess)...I didn't float totally upright even at 300 lb, though. I mean, I can float on my back for as long as I like (could also do that as a kid under 100 lb) and tread water pretty easily...but nothing about it changed when I was much heavier, is kind of what I meant to say. I am a strong swimmer etc, but could never float enough to do a workout while floating upright.