Runners!

djc315
djc315 Posts: 585 Member
So, I just finished the C25K program and I am 1 week into the 5k to 10k program. I would really love some runner friends that can give some support and advice. :)

One thing I am struggling with is hydration. I drink water all day, go for a run, 20 minutes in I am SO dehydrated it is disgusting. Like, lips white and peeling. I don't know how to combat that, especially since the last few runs it has cut my run short.

Replies

• rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/543-bridge-to-10k

As for the water issue...carry water with you or plan your run around a water fountain or water stop.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    I have to use a hydration mix (like gatorade or nuun) in the summer.
  • csk0018
    csk0018 Posts: 219 Member
    Someone told me chewing gum during your runs helps with the cotton mouth. I bought gum to try it but I haven't yet. :bigsmile:
  • Sobus76
    Sobus76 Posts: 242 Member
    do you drink coffee, or any other diuretic? weird that you drink water all day and are dehydrated after only 20 minutes.
  • LoveMyLife_NYC
    LoveMyLife_NYC Posts: 230 Member
    Sometimes water doesn't cut it for me. It has to do with the electrolyte balance in your body. What's your diet like? Plenty of fruits and veggies? Try drinking Gatorade pre-run. They have low-cal options too.
  • livityliv
    livityliv Posts: 110 Member
    Google/Amazon running water bottles...they have belts that go around your waist and hold a few smaller bottles or a variety of bottles that strap to your hand, so you don't really have to hold them as you run. They are a lifesaver on summer runs (I have both kinds). Also, consider Nuun or another type of electrolyte drink, especially in the summer. I have both water belts and hand-held bottles, sometimes in the summer I will use the belt and put Nuun in one (its a tab that dissolves in your water adding electrolytes) and plain water in the other, sipping from both throughout the run.
  • sixtyinchesoffury
    sixtyinchesoffury Posts: 321 Member
    hey there! so I completed c25k about a month ago and now am just doing regular runs of about 3 miles. I want to up my distance but also don't want to do it too quickly. I would also love to get back into my lifting. that kinda went on hold during c25k because i'm also a massage therapist (20-23 hours of massage a week) and a mom!! holy cow i'm tired just typing that! anyway feel free to friend me. i'd like to start 5k210k but am gonna hang out at this rate for a bit.

as for the water....I run in Denver which is pretty dang dry most of the time. I must chew gum when I run or I totally get cotton mouth and wear chapstick ! how much water are you drinking? I tell my clients to drink half of their body weight in ounces then match ounce for ounce with caffeine or alcohol. I do get really thirsty after a run but not to the extent that you seem to be experiencing.

friend me if you'd like....we can motivate each other!!

take care,
    Ang
  • goodfido
    goodfido Posts: 127 Member
    I agree with some of the other posters, you may need a Gatoraide type of drink. Also, for longer runs I often use Shot Bloks or Gu. I sweat a lot when I run and those help replace what your body loses when sweating.

Good Luck!
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    There is a lot more than dry lips when it comes to dehydration. Are you still sweating during the run? After a run do you have dark urine? If not, it could just be environmental issues such as dry air and wind stripping external moisture as you run which is easily addressed by lip balm, lotion, and gum to fight any accompanying cotton mouth.
  • djc315
    I do still sweat during my run and my urine is NOT dark. Even after the run, it is the "ideal" color. I eat a lot of fruit and veggies, I am eating more and more as I can. But I do eat a good amount already.

I will try chewing gum. And Shot Bloks or Gru - do they help with electrolytes? I will try those, too. I have a hard time drinking water while running, even if I just take sips I get bad cramps.
  • cruz95060
    cruz95060 Posts: 3
    Have you ever considered joining a local running team or an organization like Team in Training? I learned so much from the Coaches about everything from Hydration to Technique.You may want to look into it.

I typically don't need to carry water on any run under 30mins. Anything longer than 30 mins you should have water on you, anything longer than 60 mins, I carry electrolytes and food.

The fact that your lips peel is a little worrisome, a 20 min run (unless in extreme heat or wind) should really not dehydrate you that much.
  • Pectinbean
    Pectinbean Posts: 62 Member
    I get really thirsty / dry mouthed on runs over 5k. I got a running belt from Amazon that has 2 small water bottles attached that sit either side of your hips. It's really made a difference. Probably doesn't help that I run with my mouth open though...
  • czmmom
    czmmom Posts: 236 Member
    Feel free to friend me. I am currently training for my first marathon. The hydration became easier for me. I would need to hydrate often during a run. I ended up putting a water bottle on my driveway or used a camelbak on longer runs. Now, I don't have to do that as often. Only on my 9 plus mile long runs. (or 6 miles during the summer)
  • FromHereOnOut
    FromHereOnOut Posts: 3,237 Member
    It gets better. I remember having the same problem and tried gum (it helped) and chapstick (also helped) and a water bottle (duh), but eventually you stop huffing and puffing so much and you don't get dry mouth anymore. Nowadays, I never feel especially thirsty in my mouth--but I do feel it in my heavy, heavy legs after about 4-5 miles, which is when I usually hydrate a bit.

It gets better.

Keep going.
  • djc315
    Thanks for the feedback, everyone!

Glad to know it gets better :)
  • RunMyOregonBunsOff
    RunMyOregonBunsOff Posts: 862 Member
    You can add me if you want. I'm training for my first marathon (like an above poster).

Do you take any medication? I take one that causes dry mouth for me. I even have to carry a water bottle on 5ks. I drink about 7 oz per mile. It isn't quite as bad when I use shot blocks but I only use those after 40 minutes. I try to avoid sports drinks in general but will likely start using them some when I get up past about 15 miles.

I have tried gum and it doesn't really work for me but I have heard a lot of people find it useful.
  • djc315
    No, I'm not on any medication that would cause dry mouth. Just daily vitamins.

Added you!

I am going on a run tomorrow and I am going to pick up some of the shot blocks at work. I will see if those help. I am also going to drink more water than I normally do during the day. I'm not sure if that is that doable (only because it's tough drinking water at a retail job), but I will try!
  • taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    If your still sweating and you don't have dark urine after the run, you're not actually dehydrated.

Can't offer any advice on what's happening though.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    do you drink coffee, or any other diuretic? weird that you drink water all day and are dehydrated after only 20 minutes.

Ditto.

For the distance we are talking about, that doesn't make sense, unless it's over 90 F, high humidity, and in the son.
    You shouldn't need any water or energy gel stuff for short distance.
    Shoot, if you eat energy gels at too slow a pace, you just stop using your stored fat for energy and use that gel instead, along with carbs in muscle while insulin is elevated.
    If your body can't support that slight stress, there is likely something not right.

Then again, could be going to fast and sweating out a storm.

But I'd be concerned with why you aren't retaining more water in blood - you had blood test for electrolyte levels?