Adding exercise: Making me gain weight

Options
So, this week I decided to start biking to work, it is really steep uphill on my way home and it's killing my legs, I am continuing to eat 1200 calories a day and don't up my calorie intake. I was losing steadily when not exercising.

This week I have gained 1.3kg (2.8 lbs) back! I know that I am growing muscles, especially with the steep uphill, but can they really grow that quick? O.o

This is really demotivational :(

Replies

• BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,068 Member
    Options
    its not muscle mass, its water weight. when you add additional exercise that your body is not accustomed to it will hold onto more water. this will fade after a couple of weeks, dont sweat it just keep eating at least 1200. in fact you should probably add another 250 cals for every half hour of biking a day to give your body additional fuel
  • StraubreyR
    StraubreyR Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    When I started biking quite a bit, I hit a plateau for about 3 weeks. Now I am losing pretty steadily again. I also agree you need to fuel these workouts! That's an awfully low calorie allowance, I'd be seriously hangry exercising and eating that little.
  • kburns213
    kburns213 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Don't give up. I recently added weights to my workout and have gained around 3 pounds. This will not only change the shape of your body but also slim you down. It isn't always about the weight. It is about the inches. Go by measurement, not only pounds.
  • michellesanver
    michellesanver Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I feel better now :)

I guess it is indeed water weight when it fluctuates that much. Thanks! You're right, I should not worry too much and look at the overall trend instead, not just for one week but for several at a time.

My clothes *do* feel loser,even the shorts I bought with perfect fit two weeks ago are a bit lose, and I need a new hole in my belt.