scale question!!

Options
So I have one of those old school scales at home, that you slide the two things on to figure out how much you weigh and it says 283. Then I went to the gym last night and stepped on a digital and it said I weigh 259. Everyone says its possible because I look like Ive lost weight but would there be that much of a differnece? which one is usually accurate?

Replies

• flatlndr
    flatlndr Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    I'd say your old school scale is out of calibration. As a starting point, if you set the weights to zero, does the scale indicate zero?

I'm assuming you two readings (gym & home) were on the same day?

(Edited to fix typo, and add a question)
  • sabified
    sabified Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    I would assume that the gyms' scale would be more accurate... after all, that's their line of business... and I'm sure (hoping???) that they wouldn't use a scale which deliberately gave lower numbers...

But frankly, you're here tracking how much you lose right? So if the scale you have at home says that, stick with it to track your loss (and don't stress about the actual number)... I have the same issue, my scale isn't quite that old but I'm pretty sure it's from the early 90s... so until I get a new one, I'm just using it to make sure there's a consistent downward trend
  • GoodLittleEater
    GoodLittleEater Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    They say it's possible you lost 30 lbs in one workout? Ha, uh…. I say scrap all scales, get out a measuring tape and enjoy the frustration of needing to buy all new pants because you're busting a sag :)
  • sltaylor94
    sltaylor94 Posts: 60
    Options
    They say it's possible you lost 30 lbs in one workout? Ha, uh…. I say scrap all scales, get out a measuring tape and enjoy the frustration of needing to buy all new pants because you're busting a sag :)

lolno not in one work out just lately. ive been on a weight loss journey for a while
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    That is a big difference.. Of course, check the calibration of your "doctor's scales". Those generally tend to be more accurate than the spring loaded type BUT they quite possibly may not be for a variety of reasons. In this case, I would find a few other scales around... sometimes you find them in convenience stores and malls... Weigh in 2-3 different locations... It is most likely that the majority will roughly agree with one scale or the other...

I have a digital scale at home... One day, it showed that I lost 25 lbs overnight... I knew that was not right... Turns out that our cat had batted a bottle top underneath the scale and it was off balance... I removed the cap and found my 25 lbs (dang it)...

In the end, the tape measure is the best measure but the scale is not a bad indicator either. Best wishes on every success.
  • CA_Underdog
    CA_Underdog Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I'd measure on your home scale a second time and compare the difference between your first and second reading. From a weight loss perspective, the difference is usually what really matters.
  • CleanUpWhatIMessedUp
    CleanUpWhatIMessedUp Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I have somewhat of the same problem. My scale at home tells me one thing and the scale at the gym says something slightly different. I don't worry too much because it's only a small difference.