Feel like I'm never going to be at my goal

Options
I've been walking everyday doing 3-4 miles a day.
It's been hot.
I push my kids in their stroller which is about 75 pounds...
I've only been doing this a week, but I feel like I'm sooo slow!!
I've switched from soda to water.
It takes me about 2 hours to do 4 miles.
I realize I'm not suppose to be speedy Gonzales in a week but I think I need encouragement!!!
I'm 23, 230 pounds, & 5'5
I feel like as slow as I am I will never be able to run like I see other doing... I ran for a couple mins today and I just knew I was going to die LOL..
Friday I'm completely changing my diet. (That's when we get paid)
N I think for awhile I will try lean cuisines and some frozen veggies and stuff.
The whole diet thing is still hard for me... I don't any recipes n I know I will over indulge.
I get so bored and I eat which is a problem but my biggest problem was soda! Any one has some advice encouragement your stories anything!!!

Replies

• Veil5577
    Veil5577 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    As you said, you've only been doing this a week. It didn't take a week to gain the weight, and it will take longer than a week to lose it. You've made good steps so far, especially switching to water.

Use this site to help you stick to it... the Success Stories thread is really really great. No matter how hard it is, keep up the walking... you'll soon find it will be easier and that will feel ssooooooo good!

Slow and steady wins the race... especially as a lifestyle change. You can do this! :flowerforyou:
  • vikkiec12
    vikkiec12 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I was really slow when I started as well! The thing that helped me was doing the 'couch to 5k' app. It takes you through slowly and eventually you will be able to go faster. The most I've run is 5 miles and that was thanks to the app. Would definitely recommend it if you want to start running :). Good luck!
  • hearthwood
    hearthwood Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    At your weight, it's probably best to not go into an extreme exercise routine right now. Start out slow, working out 2 times a week at short intervals. Then when you can easily do that, move up to 3 and 4 times a week. Endurance doesn't come overnight, it's consistency that builds it. You have to learn to get comfortable with being uncomfortable. Wear the sweat like a badge if honor.

Right now--work on your calorie intake by following MFP. 96 percent of weight loss comes from eating less. Exercise is to put you in shape and burn calories, thereby speeding up your weight loss, (if you're not over eating your workouts?) It's very important that you find an exercise program that you like doing. Not everyone likes to run. I have to work out with others or I won't. My husband has a complete gym downstairs, but I get bored on machines, so Jazzercise is it for me. I am kind of a social person so it gives me time with the gals.

Healthy Choice dinners, if you don't like to cook. It's all about portion control. Going on weird diets, that eliminates food while bulking up on another only add weight in the long run.

Just eat less and move more--and you'll be on your way. Be patient and consistent.
  • miss_phat_booty
    Options
    I think the main thing people need when they start a weight/loss lifestyle change is patience. It didnt take a week to put the weight on so it won't take a week to get it off.

I find reading the success stories thread (esp the stories with pics and timeline) really keeps me motivated. If you enjoy running, you should look in the C25K app. Another item that may help in your journey is a food scale to keep track of how much you are truly eating.

Give yourself some goals, like adding 30 seconds to every time you run.
  • _KitKat_
    _KitKat_ Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    My neighbor has lost 105 lbs. 3 years ago she had trouble walking 3 houses to the corner, she now walks 6 miles a day, and works out at the gym. She loves it and is just now your weight. Its only been a week, just make up your mind and everyday will improve. Remember, the changes you make need to be life style changes, don't deny yourself something if it will not be sustainable. Slow, steady, moderation and sustainable are the words you need to have on your mind when you make changes.

Great job, on making the decision to get healthy!
  • mebepiglet123
    mebepiglet123 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    No matter how slow you are. You are off the couch... Sooo you are faster than last week. Just a thought, do you have a smartphone? If you do download an app like endomondo which tracks where you go and how long it takes, that way you can track your progress.

I have been at this for over a year now, I have noticed my fitness Improve a lot, give it time don't be too hard on yourself, fuel your body well and keep walking you will succeed.
  • Chickee8586
    Chickee8586 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    You have walked anywhere from 20-28 miles this week. Did you do that last week? It doesn't matter if you're slow, you are doing it.

Try jogging for 30 seconds at a time. Then walk for a minute or two until you catch your breath, then jog for 30 seconds. You will get there. After a week, jog for 45 seconds and walk for a minute. And so on, and so on. You don't have to run a 5k your first day. Look up C25K (couch to 5k), they use the same cycling of jog/walk as I put above. Maybe not the same times, but it's the basic format for that program.

As for your food, maybe sit down one day and plan out your meals for the week. Make them and put them into single serve containers in the freezer. Then each day, just take one out for lunch and eat that.

The frozen meals (Lean Cuisine) tend to have quite a bit of sodium. So if you start with that, just become aware of your sodium intake. Drink lots of water, both while walking and with all your meals.

Add a bit of lemon to your water. It makes it taste a bit fresher. Also look up other combinations of veges to put in water and try those. Sometimes variety takes away the dullness of "water again???"
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    starting slow is not a bad thing...I started slow...20mins of walking and eating less.

Upped that when I could to body weight exercises (squat/plank challenage)

Upped that when I could to at home videos (30Day shred) and that's when I started counting calories...

Upped that when I could and started lifting heavy weights..still counted calories, got a food scale

18 months later I am at maitenance...50lbs lighter and much more fit and healthy than I was when I started.

What I didn't do was give up my favorite foods and things I crave...I just fit them in, if that meant exercise I did exercise...I actually timed a walk one day for a cone of ice cream cause I wanted ice cream...

start with little things like going for a walk...log what you eat (not necessarily in goal) just to see how much you do eat and where you could make better choices..

If you eat when your bored, exercise instead...jumping jacks, burpees, lunges bw squats etc...

I eat lean cuisines sometimes they are quick and easy. I love tyson chicken strips too, dannon light and fit yogurt...

As for recipes tonnes online or just use different spices on things..like greek spices on chicken or pork, lemon herb on fish etc.
  • sugarlemonpie
    sugarlemonpie Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Just want to say, you can do it! The more you work at it, the easier it will get. :)

There's a lot of brilliant resources on this site, so use it to your full advantage.

If you need any encouragement or motivation, feel free to friend me!
  • tabithaduarte
    tabithaduarte Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    The thing is though if I only workout 2 times a week I feel like I wouldn't be encouraged to go. I feel like I should do it everyday or I I'll quit.
    Before I had kids I lost 30 pounds in 3 months but walking 10-12 miles a day. I did start off doing 4-5 miles then worked up to 12. ....then I got pregnant haha.
    I think imma keep walking everyday but maybe some days I won't do 4 but maybe 3.
    My legs burn soooo bad, does anyone know y they burn when I walk??
    I see all these stories on the news where they just started walking everyday and they lost so much weight and I want that to finally be me! I really want to lose 100 pounds my long term goal!!
  • tabithaduarte
    Options
    Thank u all for the motivation and advice!!
    Imma keep on keeping on TIL I get to where I want to be!! Today was the hardest day for me and so many times I wanted to quit but I finished my 4 miles. 1 mile at the park 2 miles around my neighborhood and 1 mile on the treadmill. I was that determined to Finnish those miles!!! I'm 230 and I want to be 130 pounds. Sometimes I think 100 pounds Is a very unrealistic goal but if I stay dedicated I can do it... Well <<<<that is what I keep telling myself.
    I'm also considering joining a gym just to get in some weight lifting so that maybe my arms will get toned.
  • tabithaduarte
    Options
    I'm gonna look for the app!
    Thanks
  • AngeliqueAcee
    AngeliqueAcee Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Welcome and good on you for starting your journey!

I'm a walker aswell, I refuse to run. I see the same articles "Start walking, lose 20 lbs in a month" and crap like that. To me walking is a way to work every part of my body (I swing my arms like a crazy person when walking :D ).

Your legs burn because they are getting a good work-out, most likely! Just make sure you have some really good shoes, since most walking nowadays is on asphalt. It's better to invest in some good shoes than to be in constant pain when walking :)

When you get to the point of "I don't want to anymore" Just think of your goal and the minutes of mental exhaustion will be soo worth it in the end :)

Also, I set myself mini-goals where you treat yourself to something (saw a thread on this just today). That make it more worth it and you won't feel like it is such a long way to go.

You can do it!
  • tabithaduarte
    Options
    Yesterday I swung my arms & they sore today!!!!
    I checked my weight this morning and I was 225!!!
    My legs are very sore today it almost makes me not want to go walk today but I will be going anyway idk if ill be able to make it thru 4 miles or not but imma try then on Sunday I will rest!!
    Do u have have certain shoes that u find to be the best??
    Right now I'm using sketchers memory foam shoes and they are ok but I don't feel like they have enough cushion in them.
    I was thinking about getting some shape up sketchers!
    I'm not sure of any many goal I could set right now I'll have to think of some, it would be nice after a long workout week to treat myself to something small:)
  • Chickee8586
    Chickee8586 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Shoes are really a personal preference. What works for me doesn't work for someone else. If the Sketchers work for you, great. If not, don't be afraid to try other brands.

Here's a WebMD article on choosing shoes.

http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/features/choosing-best-workout-shoes
  • tabithaduarte
    Options
    I will defiantly read it thank you!!!
  • annesoucy57
    Options
    When I started I was overwhelmed by the number of pounds to loose and would have my doubts about getting there. What is working for me is setting myself smaller goals of 10 pounds. Focussing on those 10, once I get to that goal I plan the next 10 pounds. I reward myself at each goals, I have a bracelet that I love and each small goals I achieve I get myself a trinket to add to it. It is a reminder of what I achieved.

I am loosing slowly also getting use to my new eating habits which I know will be this way for the years to come.

Best of luck you will get there may it be one step at a time or 10 pounds.
  • lolalament
    lolalament Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    earl_nightingale.jpg

It's huge :-( I don't know how to make it not huge.
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,197 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Tabitha - you're doing great! When I get sore, I just figure it's my fat crying out, trying to make me settle down so it doesn't have to disappear. LOL! One thing to be careful of - it's absolutely awesome to be so motivated that you push through some muscle soreness. But really listen to your body - if things get sore and stay that way OR if its more than soreness, please see a doctor. I've got stories about people who didn't listen, and they ended up 'benched' for longer than they should have been.

You're doing awesome - you'll be so glad you decided to do something about your fitness. Just remember, it took a long time to get to your current fitness level - it'll take a long time to get to the one you want. In my case, it took 13 years to get to over 200 pounds. I'm fortunate that it's only taken about a year to get back into a size 10 pants. :)

Keep it up, beautiful! :flowerforyou:
  • tabithaduarte
    Options
    I love it!!!
    Thank you