Bacon?

Options
I am on a calorie controlled diet limited to 1200 per day.

Is bacon good or bad?

I have heard people say it is good for carbs and protein, but others say its bad because of fat content. I have cut out bread and potatoes in my daily intake. And trying to eat white or red meat with veg for main meals.

Any ideas?

Replies

• GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    I could never say anything bad about bacon... but with a 1200 calorie goal, it might be a little rough. A more lean cut of meat would probably give you more bang for your calorie buck
  • mikegohl
    mikegohl Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Center cut bacon only has 70 calories for three slices.
  • aeragusa
    aeragusa Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Just about anything in moderation is good in my book :)

Maybe consider turkey bacon?
  • vicster9727
    Options
    yummmmmmm BACONNNNN

had a single slice with my scrambled egg this morning! soooo good!

I allow myself a "free day". It's a day that you can eat or drink whatever you want without guilt.... just record the calories and eat/drink in moderation! I am not dieting.... I am changing the way I eat!! If I go to a wedding or party, I want to be able to eat or drink along with everyone else... so that day would be my "free day" :)
  • somigliana
    somigliana Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I think it's just perfect in moderation (as with all things, I suppose). True, it is higher in fat and sodium than other types of meat, but my world would be less happy without a little bacon.

Try a leaner cut to get more bacon for your calorie buck (and less fat).
  • minervasp73
    Options
    Try laying the bacon out on a cookie sheet and baking it. Dump off the fat as it cooks, and turn it over a couple of times so it doesn't stick. Then you can get the most of your bacon with the least fat possible.
  • coolcoolbaz1980
    Options
    Thanks,

So basically if i stick within my calories & eat healthy (with occasional bacon) i will keep losing weight?
  • gabrielle1980
    Options
    On the days when you have bacon just make sure you exercise, if I fancy an indulgence I just make sure I have done enough exercise to cover it. Sometimes I dont even feel like eating the indulgence afterwards!!
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    Thanks,

So basically if i stick within my calories & eat healthy (with occasional bacon) i will keep losing weight?

You can have bacon and it can be healthy.

Look for nitrate and nitrite free bacon without the preservatives. It will be more expensive, but it is well worth the freshness of it.

I do not use cured bacon at all. The preservatives are not good for you.
  • binary_jester
    binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    B...A...C...O...N!! Big fan. Yeah...that's all I got.
  • Tinkaboo
    Options
    Have you tried mattesons turkey bacon?! It's much better for you as less fat etc but is still damn tasty! It also comes in unsmoked and smoked though I have to say i definitely prefer the smoked! Yummyliscious!
    XxX
  • Sharont213
    Sharont213 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I use Oscar Mayer Center Cut bacon and it is only 70 cal for 3 slices.. cook it in the microwave to cut the fat down.. all things in moderation so make it a weekend treat!
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    BACON!!! :love: :love: :love:

Center cut is the best to eat, everyone has already given cals for oscar meyer or any other. I tried turkey bacon and I'd rather be fat than to eat that crap, it smells and ends up looking just like beggin strips for dogs :noway: anyway, a serving of center cut bacon is actually a better choice than a serving of turkey sausage.

I found a great salad that is basically a cobb salad but it has chicken, black beans and a single strip of bacon along with tomatoes and all the veggies you might want.
  • millermichellelea
    Options
    I eat occasional bacon. I do try the nitrate free, center cut to trim where I can. I also bake it on Pampered Chef clay pan and then let the paper towels soak up as much grease as possible. This tends to be less greasy.

As for turkey bacon, I have read that it is just as bad as real bacon so unless you are avoiding pork, eat the real deal!
  • Grokette
    Options
    Have you tried mattesons turkey bacon?! It's much better for you as less fat etc but is still damn tasty! It also comes in unsmoked and smoked though I have to say i definitely prefer the smoked! Yummyliscious!
    XxX

There is nothing healthy about Turkey bacon. you are much better off eating regular pork bacon that is uncured.
  • superwmn
    superwmn Posts: 936
    Options
    I have two slices of bacon, real bacon, every morning with my egg white, mushroom and reduced swiss omelette. Keeps me full for HOURS. At 80 calories for 2 slices, what's not to love? The taste is amazing (hello... it's bacon!) and the fat stays with me and keeps my cravings at bay.

Charmagne
  • Grokette
    Options
    I have two slices of bacon, real bacon, every morning with my egg white, mushroom and reduced swiss omelette. Keeps me full for HOURS. At 80 calories for 2 slices, what's not to love? The taste is amazing (hello... it's bacon!) and the fat stays with me and keeps my cravings at bay.

Charmagne

yet another reason as to why fat intake is so important.

Fat creates satiety. Satiety = less or no cravings and staying fuller longer. In the bigger scheme of things you will end up eating less calories over all when you up your fat intake because in the end you will be eating less, but be eating more nutrient dense foods.

Now we are talking natural occurring fats, such as bacon, olive oil, butter, milk fat in milk (if you can have it), nuts and nut butters, coconut oil............

We are not talking the man made stuff found in the boxed, packaged and frozen foods.
  • Shamrock40
    Options
    Everything in moderation. I'm also a fan of the "cheat day" or free day. Or at least a cheat meal. On Sunday I ate a healthy diet until dinner time. I had 4 yummy chicken wings and 2 pieces of pepperoni pizza. I ended up down 4.5 lbs for the week. When you eat higher fat, higher calorie meals, it keeps your body/metabolism guessing, which is a good thing.

I'm all about the lifestyle change, but my lifestyle must include sweets and bacon and a handful of other tasty things I enjoy. Just not all the time.
  • brgrace
    Options
    All in moderation. An occasional breakfast including bacon won't hurt...the oscar meyer precooked bacon is a little lower in calories and fat...plus much less mess and faster to cook! Also try jimmy dean turkey sausage patties..they're pretty good too!
  • Ashia1317
    Ashia1317 Posts: 415
    Options
    Mmmmm bacon!

Just like a few others posted, I eat Turkey bacon. I don't really TASTE a difference, but I like the fact that turkey bacon is a bit thicker and it makes me feel like I'm eating more for just about the same - if not, less than I would regular bacon. And it cooks up really nice too, I think, better than regular bacon. I add it to a egg white omelet or have it as a protein side to my waffles.