NEED WORKOUT IDEAS ON THE CHEAP!

Options
Hi everyone, so I am fully broke and living with my parents since my divorce. I used to have Excercise TV on demand at my gorgeous huge apartment in Manhattan ;( but not my parents don't have that. We do have a treadmill, but it gets boring sometimes. Are there any free workouts online or on youtube anyone can suggest? I can't really invest in Wii or workout videos right now. Thanks so much in advance!!!

Replies

• MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    Try Jillian Michaels 30 day shred, it sells for 9$ in most stores & is a good workout. I'm actually doing a 30 day stint right now and I'm enjoying it a lot.
  • manleyzoo
    manleyzoo Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    You could walk. If it is too cold or weather is bad, go to your local shopping mall. They usually have walking programs. I am doing some strength training online at hundredpushups.com. I do pushups, situps and squats from that site.
  • abyt42
    abyt42 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    I've used Netflix (there's a fairly limited selection), work out videos from my public library, and a treadmill. I also do jumping jacks (which is a great burn in a little amount of time), and take Zumba and yoga classes through my job. I'm also signed up for yoga classes through a local community college (they begin in two weeks: I'm a little nervous.)
  • janna674
    janna674 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    if you have cable...there is Exercise on Demand channel with tons of free workouts!
  • mom2alexandmatt
    Options
    You could try your local library for exercise DVDs too.
  • WonderNoodle
    Options
    bobharper.com has several vids to do.

walking is always free.
  • Ashlea_M
    Ashlea_M Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I bought a skipping rope for $4 at the supermarket and pushed all the furniture back in my tiny apartment so I could skip inside :) It burns heaps and you sweat so much, i used to take boxing lessons and skipping for ten minutes straight was the warm up and it really burned a lot of fat off me and that was when I was thin! I've since gained 40Kg and i've started adding the skipping to my routine because I know it works for me and maybe it might help you :)
  • mrsannett
    mrsannett Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Hello to you!! I would say walk around you neighborhood. And when you go to a store park as far as you can to burn a few extra calories. I do that all the time. Also when there is a elevator skip it and take the stairs. There is always little things to do. I am sure you will get great ideas on here.
  • hotpickles
    hotpickles Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    Hi! Thanks for the add btw :)

I'm in the same boat. I used to belong to a gym at my school but no longer want to waste the money, when I can do what I did there for free at home. I've taken up running and walking, and have managed to suck it up, bundle up, and run in the cold. It's actually very refreshing!

Other than that, I bought some free weights awhile back at Wal Mart, so I use them for upper body workouts (bicep curls, tricep extensions, shoulder raises, etc) and for lower body workouts (squats, lunges, etc.). I also try and do push ups. I emphasize the word *try* LOL.

L.
  • Alafia22
    Alafia22 Posts: 112
    Options
    www.exercisetv.tv

I work out on my laptop sometimes. They have a bunch of free workouts. Also... I do billy blanks Tae bo on YouTube. Look for playlists so the divided parts play back to back.
  • lazyslug
    Options
    I saw a link on here, but didn't go there yet.

http://www.women-workout-routines.com/free-workout-routines.html
  • TaneeisFitforLife
    Options
    Women's health has a great selection of workouts (& they are free!)

http://www.womenshealthmag.com/fitness/fitness-workout
  • erikaengen
    Options
    If you are on facebook join bob harper's website and you can take advantage of mytrainer. He always has lots of good ideas.
    Good luck...don't give up!!!
  • kittytrix
    kittytrix Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Every weekend, my family and I head out to the coutry and go hiking. I don't know if that's an option for you, but you not only get a workout, but you get to get out of the city and spend some time in a natural surrounding.
  • sweetestthing
    Options
    Thank you for the best advice! I'm excited to try them this week. Looking forward to another healthy week and wish everyone the best.
  • punkrockmama
    punkrockmama Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Those are all really great ideas!!!
    Also, there is dancing, and check your local freecycle and/or Craigslist for free/super cheap DVDs, books, workout gear.
    Good luck with your new life!!!!!!
  • blt4dtuff
    Options
    I alternate 4 sets of 5 reps on the ab-wheel with 4 sets of 10 6-count body builders: Start standing up. 1) Squat, 2)thrust legs out behind you (push-up/ plank position), 3) down push-up position, 4)push-up, 5) squat position, 6) stand. You could replace the ab wheel with a couple sets of crunches and your cost is zero. Do it with the news on, or some music or simething. This takes a total of about 15 mintues and I'm pretty well spent when finished.