Question about muscle weight

Options
So you know how, you're supposed to gain weight at first when you start exercising because of muscle? But eventually, the number on the scale should go down as well as you lose weight. So my question is...how long can you expect to gain weight for because of the muscles before you see a downward change in your weight?

Replies

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Unless you are spending hours at the gym as a complete beginner doing serious strength training, or you are also eating more calories than your TDEE, you are not gaining muscle.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Unless you are spending hours at the gym as a complete beginner doing serious strength training, or you are also eating more calories than your TDEE, you are not gaining muscle.

This...
  • Ainar
    Ainar Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Not entirely true. You obviously need to do "serious" strength training to gain any significant amount of muscle for your weight to go up any noticeable amount, especially while on deficit. But if you are a beginner you can gain significant amount of muscle even in calories deficit. This is especially true for people who already has a lot of extra body fat to lose.
  • lemonlionheart
    lemonlionheart Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    The weight many people gain when they begin a new exercise regime is water weight. The body holds onto extra water to repair muscles, and this usually drops off again after a few weeks of the new exercise program :)

As the above posters have said, to gain muscle you need to be eating a surplus of calories and do a whole lot of heavy lifting. You can however gain strength and fitness if you lift while in a calorie deficit.
  • Transatlantic20145
    Options
    The weight many people gain when they begin a new exercise regime is water weight. The body holds onto extra water to repair muscles, and this usually drops off again after a few weeks of the new exercise program :)

As the above posters have said, to gain muscle you need to be eating a surplus of calories and do a whole lot of heavy lifting. You can however gain strength and fitness if you lift while in a calorie deficit.

my weight remained the same after working out for 3 months so i guess this is not normal and my current regime is not working for me....
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Not entirely true. You obviously need to do "serious" strength training to gain any significant amount of muscle for your weight to go up any noticeable amount, especially while on deficit. But if you are a beginner you can gain significant amount of muscle even in calories deficit. This is especially true for people who already has a lot of extra body fat to lose.

Yes if you are obese or new...which means never done it ever before you can build some muscle...I wouldn't call it significant...
  • squishycatmew
    squishycatmew Posts: 151 Member
    Options

my weight remained the same after working out for 3 months so i guess this is not normal and my current regime is not working for me....

Have you been taking measurements? Comparing the actual size of your body to before you started, and as you continue, will give you a better idea of how well your regime is working than just your scale weight.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options

Are you tracking your food intake? Your current exercise programme might be working great for you, but fat loss is going to come from having a calorie deficit, so you need to be keeping an eye on your energy intake. Exercise is more for fitness, and health, and retaining muscle mass while you lose weight.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    So you know how, you're supposed to gain weight at first when you start exercising because of muscle? But eventually, the number on the scale should go down as well as you lose weight. So my question is...how long can you expect to gain weight for because of the muscles before you see a downward change in your weight?

No.
  • callas444
    callas444 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I'm not a doctor or a trainer, so I won't talk science, just my own experiences. In February, I started a fitness class that combines cardio, weights, calisthenics, and yoga. In two months of that and my 2 lb a week calorie deficit, I lost 3 pounds. I was devastated. Here I am working so hard and no result. My trainer asked me to update my measurements. In those two months, I lost over 6 inches from my waist and hips. 3 lbs but 6 inches! While science says you don't gain muscle while in deficit, that is my only explanation for my results.
    Four months into working out, I have lost 15 pounds. The inches are coming off slowly now but the pounds have sped up. I suggest doing something very difficult and not only judge your progress by that dang scale. Hopefully you have pictures and measurements to compare, but if not, think about how you feel. Do you have more energy? More stamina in workouts? How are your clothes fitting? The scale is a vital tool but it's only one measure of your health and fitness.

Sorry that got so long and I hope it helps you.
  • Rugbynutter
    Rugbynutter Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Hi,

"The scales only provide with a numerical value which represent your relationship with the earth as defined by gravity"

My point is that for most people, when you drill down, pure weight loss isn't the goal - it's a change in body shape & image.

Weight is just one of the markers you should use. For me, waist/hip ratio & body fat % are much more vital, but the most important is how you look and feel about yourself.

Look in the mirror, if your getting the shape you want then you are succeeding.

Don't get too hung up on "weight".
  • Transatlantic20145
    Options

Are you tracking your food intake? Your current exercise programme might be working great for you, but fat loss is going to come from having a calorie deficit, so you need to be keeping an eye on your energy intake. Exercise is more for fitness, and health, and retaining muscle mass while you lose weight.

Yes I am. So I'm going to switch up my exercise I think.

Callas thank you very much, sounds like you have been working very hard and I'm so happy for you. I don't have before or after photos haha.

Rugbynutter, I'll try not to get hung up on my weight. It's hard though because sometimes other girls ask me my weight and it's embarrassing when I tell them my weight and they're like I'm 100 pounds. lol
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    Is that you BrightCrystal?