Using all calories

Options
Is it just as important to use up your physical activity calories as it is to use up your daily calories? I come from a WeightWatchers frame of mind where it wasn't necessary to use activity points. Same concept?

Replies

• DoralisM
    Options
    You came from a Weight Watchers frame of mind... what do you mean? Did the program not work for you? I'm thinking of joining
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I dont eat all my physical activity cals..lost about 70lbs thus far but I eat when Im hungry I dont deny myself the extra if I need it.
  • lgeren
    lgeren Posts: 45
    Options
    I have the same question because when I log in my exercise, it adds calories to my daily calories that I can intake. I don't think you're supposed to considering I've heard from others that the goal is to exercise off as many (or more) calories than you eat but it's confusing considering it says "you can eat XX of calories since you worked out."
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    The site is based on the fact you eat them..many lose weight doing so and many do not eat them and have same success...just go with what works for you
  • sfrench1979
    Options
    hello i too was in ww once. 50 cALORIES = 1 POINT . hERE tells me to eat 1500 calories but ww tells me to eat 26 points which would equal 1300 calories. So i try to eat in between hope this will help.
  • mrmade
    mrmade Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I try not to eat my Exercise calories either. And I have lost 60 + lbs. But if you need to use them then do so.

Good Luck
  • Livi_Loves_Pink
    Options
    I have the same question because when I log in my exercise, it adds calories to my daily calories that I can intake. I don't think you're supposed to considering I've heard from others that the goal is to exercise off as many (or more) calories than you eat but it's confusing considering it says "you can eat XX of calories since you worked out."

You burn calories just by being alive. MFP already sets you at a deficit (cals in vs out) to lose x amount per week. When you exercise you make that deficit bigger, so you "eat them back" to keep the deficit at 1lb (500 calories) or 2lbs (1,000 calories) per week. Having a deficit of more than 1,000 calories is considered unhealthy.
  • sswoboda2113
    Options
    Doralis, WeightWatchers is a great program and I lost a lot of weight using what I learned there but then I gained much of it back - I just stopped tracking what I ate, ate too much and got lazy. WW has a new program now and I'm not familiar with that. This time around, my husband and I just wanted to try something different and using MFP is free so that was a big plus for us. I'm finding that MPF is very similar, really - just keeping track of what you're eating and controlling your portions. I also find it easier and quicker to count calories than calculate points. Good luck on whatever you choose!
  • javamom
    javamom Posts: 309
    Options
    You came from a Weight Watchers frame of mind... what do you mean? Did the program not work for you? I'm thinking of joining

The weight watcher program only has you eating about half of your exercise calories if I remember correctly. I think that is what she meant.
  • javamom
    javamom Posts: 309
    Options
    You don't want your net calories (eaten calories minus exercise calories) to fall below 1200. This can slow your metabolism over time. I have nearly all of my exercise calories each day and lost 4 pounds this week! Eating too few calories (below 1200 once you subtract exercise) can have a negative impact on your metabolism/weight loss. Exercising allows you to eat more and still lose weight - that's the beauty of it!
  • sswoboda2113
    Options

The weight watcher program only has you eating about half of your exercise calories if I remember correctly. I think that is what she meant.
  • sswoboda2113
    Options
    Sorry I didn't answer the question completely...Actually WW goes by points, not calories and they don't require you to use your "Activity Points" unless you want to...it' s your choice. So that's what I was referring to. Thanks, Javamom, and everyone else for all the info!