cellulite

Options
Hi ladies,

I'm just starting out and don't really have much weight to lose, but I have very bad cellulite (especially for a fairly slim woman). I'm focusing on eating healthier, cutting back on processed foods, and exercising.

I was just wondering whether any of you who are further into their journey saw an improvement in your cellulite and if there was anything specific you did to improve it (i.e. lots of strength training in the legs or area where you had it?). I don't even like wearing shorts/shorter skirts and dresses because of it :(

Thanks!

Replies

• rickysticky305
    Options
    Sexy girl over here!
  • sadrithmora
    sadrithmora Posts: 121
    Options
    I have to say when I weighted 40 pounds more the cellulite was very noticeable and I felt awful about it. Right now I can't see any at all and it had nothing to do with the weight loss, I started seeing the difference when I was getting right amounts of water. I guess it does depends on the stage of you cellulite, so I guess I was just lucky. But I'm pretty sure staying well hydrated (wish I do fail quite a bit still, but defo not as badly as i used to) has it's benefits.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    Weight training will help.
  • rayneface
    rayneface Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Lowering your body fat %, not your weight will help (weight training, lifting heavy and frequently will help with this, as well as keeping your diet on point)

I know of women with 6packs that claim to still have cellulite still so I don't know that it is something that will be 100% gone, although can be improved.
  • h7463
    h7463 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Lowering your body fat %, not your weight will help (weight training, lifting heavy and frequently will help with this, as well as keeping your diet on point)

I know of women with 6packs that claim to still have cellulite still so I don't know that it is something that will be 100% gone, although can be improved.

^ This.
    Believe it, or not, people can still be considered clinically obese, even if they seem to be normal body weight. Your body fat % counts. BMI charts can only go so far. Sometimes you have to look at the overall body composition.
    Looking at the intro at your profile page, you need to adjust your nutrition significantly, if you want to find out if your cellulite will disappear. I'm 50, train like a mad woman usually 6 days a week, and I am now at about 17% bf. Cellulite is almost not noticeable. The rest is genetics....the other women in my family are sad proof for this....
    My suggestion would be, that you look around at your local gyms or healthcare providers, and ask for a fitness assessment. This should include measurements and info about your body composition. You can use it to set your nutrition and exercise goals.
    Good luck!
  • emmanap91
    emmanap91 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    the cause of cellulite is mainly genetic, but good hydration is key. That and decreasing BF% as others have said, but most of it will be out of your control.

The skinniest and the most muscular women can still have plenty of cellulite, if it's in their genes.

EDIT: I have tons of cellulite on the backs of my thighs. When I was at my heaviest (135 lbs) and when I was at my thinnest (114 lbs), still tons of cellulite. And I already drink a ton of water, have since I was a kid.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    the cause of cellulite is mainly genetic, but good hydration is key. That and decreasing BF% as others have said, but most of it will be out of your control.

The skinniest and the most muscular women can still have plenty of cellulite, if it's in their genes.

EDIT: I have tons of cellulite on the backs of my thighs. When I was at my heaviest (135 lbs) and when I was at my thinnest (114 lbs), still tons of cellulite. And I already drink a ton of water, have since I was a kid.

This...

I feel that pear shaped tend to hve more on the thighs because that's where the fats go...
  • emmanap91
    emmanap91 Posts: 300 Member
    Options

This...

I feel that pear shaped tend to hve more on the thighs because that's where the fats go...

Yeah I think you're right - further, cellulite on the legs is usually an indicator of good genetics in the sense that it means your body tends to store fat away from the viscera.
  • bikinilinds
    bikinilinds Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Start using Nivea Q10 moisturiser all over the areas that need it. I'm serious! I've been using the product for about a month now and I have already noticed my butt, thighs and belly are a lot smoother and the cellulite appears to have faded, and the stretch marks on my belly from pregnancy have also smoothed over. My butt also appears more lifted.

I don't think you need to lose weight. I think you look good! You should totally try the lotion.
  • MerigoldMurphy
    MerigoldMurphy Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I'm not really trying to lose much weight, but like it was mentioned, I need to lower my body fat and increase my muscles a bit. I'm just starting out so I don't expect to see an improvement for a while - just that it was possible!! I just signed up at the gym and yes the assessment said I was obese based on body fat. The guy couldn't believe it because I'm fairly slim, but it just goes to show you're not always healthy just because you're not overweight. Thanks again everyone, and good luck! Also add me if you'd like. Today was my 6th day :)
  • Rachel202f
    Options
    Hello ladies!

I would like to share my recent success. I don't personally think being slim has much to do with cellulite... I'm slim and always have been and I've always had cellulite. Lowering body fat does help and exercise is great for the shape of your legs but unless you get rid of all your fat you can't get rid of all your cellulite through that method (and you're not going to get rid of all the fat on your bum, nor would you want to - that's where us girls store supplies for famine/winter!)

I've been doing some research and for the last month or so, maybe a bit less, I've been doing the following and it has enormously helped with the cellulite situation - I would post photos but I want to keep going for a little while until I have a more drastic result as I'm still on my way...

1) dry brush fairly vigorously before showering - what people say about swelling causing the 'temporary cosmetic effect' of dry brushing seems to be total tosh to me. My legs look *worse* immediately after brushing when they're a bit pink but they look better week on week...
    2) after dry brushing apply a circulation-boosting tonic to the legs. My personal recipe is one tablespoon water, one tablespoon honey, half a cup of instant coffee and a bit of cayenne pepper (amount is based on preference - should be enough to feel a slight tingle but not a burn) - mix it up until you have a thick sticky mixture so it's not too messy and will stay on the skin. Looks ridiculous but it works (I presume by encouraging blood flow to the area the way a lot of rubbishy chemical cellulite creams do - both caffeine and cayenne are famous for this)
    3) after shower rub in some coconut oil - massage your legs and when you find hard fatty lumps try to work them out a bit.

I think just the coconut oil and dry brushing would work (and I got that bit from the following article: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/06/18/get-rid-of-cellulite_n_1562687.html though I do it slightly differently) but if you do the above I think with any luck you'll have fairly drastic results fairly quickly. If you fancy adding a few glasses of cayenne and lemon juice a day to your regime this is probably not a bad idea either as there has been some research showing that cayenne pepper helps your body activate brown fat and burn white fat due to the capsaicinoids contained in it;

"Another recent study has suggested that the ingestion of capsaicinoids can increase energy expenditure and fat oxidation through the activation of brown adipose tissue (BAT) in humans from the effects of the capsaicin.[59]" - Wiki

Won't go on massively about brown v white fat but brown is the good stuff.

I hope sincerely that this helps and would be very interested in feedback if anybody has a go at it!
  • Rachel202f
    Options
    Didn't mention but the above for me has added about 15-20 minutes to my daily routine. I work in the coconut oil with my clarisonic (which I can't use on my face as it makes me break out). Personally I think it's more than worth it, especially since we're approaching summer!
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Weight lift, squat, and lunge. That's the only thing that has ever worked for me.
  • waiting4change
    waiting4change Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Start using Nivea Q10 moisturiser all over the areas that need it. I'm serious! I've been using the product for about a month now and I have already noticed my butt, thighs and belly are a lot smoother and the cellulite appears to have faded, and the stretch marks on my belly from pregnancy have also smoothed over. My butt also appears more lifted.

I don't think you need to lose weight. I think you look good! You should totally try the lotion.

I agree with this - started using while working out and losing weight and I do notice a difference.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    The cellulite on my thighs is gone but I'm not 100% on why as I've changed too many things.

It's not weight loss as I've lost weight in the past and it was still there and I've just done a bulk and it didn't come back. So, for me, a combination of strength training, foam rolling/massaging, exfoliating and moisturising (and caffeine (I use a homemade scrub with coconut oil and ground coffee)).

Sorry I can't be more specific but it just sort of disappeared without me noticing exactly when. I'd stick my neck out and say that the strength training has helped lower fat in the area rather than just losing weight.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options

Won't go on massively about brown v white fat but brown is the good stuff.

Which adult humans have very little of (and predominantly found in the upper body) :/

Do you possibly have the answer to this in the form of an expensive supplement we can purchase in the hopes of ingesting and growing our own brown fat cells? =D
  • Eleonora91
    Eleonora91 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I have the same exact problem with cellulite, even if I'm not a slim woman.
    I happen to hold most of my weight on my thighs and butt, and I guess they also increase my overall fat %. I'm a healthy weight, but I still look chubby/fat.
    I have been trying to increase my strenght training and cutting my cardio, I'm still losing weight since I'm eating at a deficit, I also keep my salt and sodium intake under control, drink a lot and basically do everything I should do to resolve my problem with cellulite. Yet, losing weight (I lost around 19 kgs) and drinking more hasn't helped much.
    I don't know if having cellulite and holding most of my fat on my thighs are connected phenomenas, but I wanted to ask you guys if you think lifting heavier weights (which is something I haven't done yet) and decreasing my fat percentage could help me to get rid of at least some of this cellulite and also get my thighs to look at least proportionate to the rest of my body.
    I don't believe in using pills or creams and other products too much, and I don't want to waste my money on that, but I might spend my money in joining a gym if that's what I need. Working out at home is great but I can't afford to buy and store so many tools which is basically why I haven't ever lifted heavy weights even if everyone says that would be the best thing for me.
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I was 120 pounds and covered in cellulite. I'm now 130 pounds and have very little. I went through a bulk with heavy lifting compound lifts program coupled with a moderate weight hypertrophy accessory program. And then a short cut. I will be honest, I saw cellulite reduction while on the bulk. My butt in particular wanted to change with the heavy weights. When you cut after, the cellulite (which is just connective tissue between body fat) will diminish.

It's all about strength training. For a thin woman, you really need to consider eating above maintenance and then cutting to lose the fat. Squats, deadlifts, romanian deadlifts, lunges, leg curl, leg press, leg extension, step-ups, hip thrusts, back extensions with or without weights, kickbacks, donkey kicks....and....cycling.

I moisturized and got massages all the time and had cellulite. It wasn't until I started strength training that it went away.

ETA: I wear the same size clothing. I started as a 4, went up to a 6 in my bulk, and am back down to a 4 with 10 pounds added to my frame.
  • ChloC97
    ChloC97 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hi, I feel your pain, I've always had cellulite and I probably always will. I read an article a couple of years ago that said that the way all the expensive lotions and potions work for celulite, is that they hydrate the skin and stimulate the bloody supply under the skin. It said you can achieve the exact same results by giving your thighs a good rub in the shower every morning and slapping on some good ol' baby oil. It seems to work for me, I'll never fully get rid of it but over the past couple of years it's become less noticable.....I always like to remember the fact that even Kate Moss has cellulite, if she can deal with it, so can I! ;)
  • kellymoss549
    Options
    Here's a couple of often overlooked tips for getting rid of cellulite.

Body Wraps - These are great as they really get the trapped toxins moving by helping to stimulate your lymphatic system.

Dry Skin Brushing - This helps to clean your skin pores and great rid of dead skin cells. Regular skin brushing helps to tone the skin which makes it tighter. By tightening your skin it helps to stretch out the dimply "orange peel" and improve it's appearance.

I hope that helps. You can read more here...

http://vanishingcellulite.com/