Work... Do I Count It?

Options
I'm a cashier, and my entire shift I'm standing, bending, crouching, just generally moving. Can I count this as exercise? How does that work?
I've read that for a normal weight person, standing still for eight hours burns almost a thousand calories. If that's true, with all of my extra activities (and the fact that I'm definitely not "normal weight") I'm burning quite a bit. How do I compensate for this in my logs?

Replies

• MissJay75
    MissJay75 Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    This should be built into your diet profile when you set up your account. From 'my home' go to 'goals' and change settings.

Set your activity level to lightly active (the description says "Spend a good part of the day on your feet (e.g. teacher, salesman)"
    or Active "Active: Spend a good part of the day doing some physical activity (e.g. waitress, mailman)" Whichever you think is a better description. The computer will use that to calculate how many calories you burn in a day (not including exercise) and subtract some amount depending on how many pounds per week you said you want to lose. The number left is the amount you should eat every day, taking your job into consideration. I highly doubt it's an extra thousand though, that seems high for standing vs sitting.
  • EvelineUK
    EvelineUK Posts: 97
    Options
    In my head, it works like this: anything you do beyond your normal daily activities, you log. So if it's in your normal daily activities to stand for hours, bend, crouch and all those things you said, you should have that in your profile.
    So go to 'settings' and set your daily activities for 'active'.

Hope that helps!
  • kinmad4it
    kinmad4it Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Why do you want to count it as exercise? Is it so you can eat back the alleged calories you think you've burned?
    If it's part of your everyday routine and has been a part of your everyday routine for a while, chances are it has obviously had no effect on helping you lose weight. Why would suddenly logging it make a difference.
    I personally only log actual exercise that I purposely do in order to exercise, not walking to the shop, not whisking eggs for an omelette.

At the end of they day though, it's about calories in versus calories out and if it works with logging your normal mundane everyday activities then go for it.
  • Carrieendar
    Carrieendar Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I teach Martial Arts, but I do not log it as exercise. I simply set my settings to "active" and log my running/lifting/etc.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    No you do not count it.