If I am at a deficit, why am I not losing weight?

12346»

Replies

• Prahasaurus
    Prahasaurus Posts: 1,381 Member
    Hello Lynn,

This thread is getting a bit confusing, as there are two ladies here asking for help. In your case, I would just add a few points:

1 - In general, be very conservative with portions, exercise calories, etc. Always assume you ate a bit more, exercised a bit less. Studies have shown that calorie counts are often 30% off, so it's definitely not an exact science.

2 - It's not just absolute numbers, but relative numbers. You wrote you've only been doing this for three weeks. Are you eating less now or not? Forget about absolute numbers for a second, although of course they are important. But just think about how your daily diet has changed. Is the difference significant? Are we talking 400 calories per day less than before, 100 calories?

3 - Three weeks is not a lot of time, especially considering how much weight can fluctuate. I would recommend staying off the scales for a while. It's counterproductive. If you are eating less than before, if you are being more active, you're going to see positive results over time. Keep tracking, of course, but don't fixate on the weight so soon. Wait a couple of months, my guess if you'll see real results then.
  • tolynkenl
    tolynkenl Posts: 15 Member
    Nutella spreads more thinly, so I can use less of it. It is fewer calories than the peanut butter. Is it any better for me? NO! Absolutely not. But...it saves me about 100 calories or so at breakfast and I feel satisfied.
  • tolynkenl
    Thank you, Prahasaurus!

I finally got myself a food scale, so I'm weighing my food in grams now to be sure I am eating what I think I am eating...but I guess you are right. It is noIt an exact science on everything.

I am eating differently. I changed my breakfast. I am trying to avoid snacking while at work. I am making healthier choices at restaurants. My snacking in the evening is limited to lower calorie foods or in measured quantities so I don't eat too much.

I am walking nearly every day for at least 2.5 miles - up to 4 miles. I am taking exercise classes three days/week now. The walking is all new and the third class/week is new.

I will stick with it. Thank you for your input! One of these days, the weight has to start coming off.

Lynn
  • tolynkenl
    I lost another pound...so I'm now down 4 pounds. Not huge, but better than the way things were going! I've been on MFP now since May 14th, so that's 1 lb./week, which is exactly what I targeted when I set up my plan. I guess I shouldn't be discouraged. I'm on target. :-)

Lynn
  • missdibs1
    missdibs1 Posts: 1,092 Member
    I agree ! I also was not losing I used the IIFYM calculator and I actually plateaued I have slowly dropped my calories and found my "sweet spot" 1400-1500 calories

You log your calories and weight yes? Use this information Slowly decrease calories/ play with macro ratios and find what works for YOU we are all different.

I also have begun to pay attention to my (sorry folks) water intake.
  • jam34jam
    jam34jam Posts: 8 Member
    Bump