Push ups

Options
I done twenty push ups yesterday and it was my first time ever attempting it. Today I wake up and my arms are KILLING me. Should I take a day off or do more push ups today?

Replies

• Highwayman_33402
    Highwayman_33402 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    In short, take today off...at least from push ups.

For strength, especially when starting, recovery is your friend. Let your muscles heal properly.

You have delayed muscle soreness (DOMS). There is a good chance that you will be even more sore tomorrow. Personally, when I am sore, I will do a reduced workout 48 hours after the one that made me sore. I say reduced because (1) it hurts and (2) I find that exercising the same muscles helps reduce the soreness. At that point, my primary purpose is to get blood flow to the sore muscles more than get a workout.

Once you get past the soreness, keep up the routine! If you plan to do push ups daily, then keep the stress and numbers low (relatively) after your body adjusts. Since you are just starting, do push ups no more frequent than every other day. Most will recommend that you keep an 'every other day' workout schedule for a particular muscle group. Include me in that group.
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    I agree. No push ups today. Maybe you'll be ready to do some tomorrow. On a positive note, you did twenty push ups yesterday! Well done.