personnel trainer

Options
Hi im looking to tone up. Im pretty much at my target weight but my belly is a wee bit flabby. I run cycle and swim but I was thinking of getting a PT to help me tone up.
Does anyone use 1?

Replies

• cantfail
    cantfail Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I am one. If you decide to look for a trainer, ask about their certifications and education. There a many certifying bodies out there. Some of the reputable ones are NASM, The Cooper Institute, ACE and NSCA. If you belong to a gym, observe the trainers working with people to get an idea of the trainer's style. Think of what motivates you. Do you want someone who is "in your face" pushing you or would you prefer a more laid back approach. Often, finding someone who meshes with you personality wise is as important as their qualifications.

Oh, and congrats on reaching your goal!
  • sweetcurlz67
    sweetcurlz67 Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    what she said, however, I've also found that some trainers don't really 'know' their stuff. maybe they're new? I ask questions and they have to ask the head trainer and get back with me. I don't have a trainer now but when I can afford it I also want one that I mesh with who KNOWS what they are doing!
  • mebepiglet123
    mebepiglet123 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I do.. But only once or twice a week. Depending on my schedule.

Love it. She pushes me, always changes it up... I would not be able to push myself on my own.
    Be warned tho it's takes a lot of time and you will not become toned overnight, nor can you spot reduce.
  • luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    Options
    I've been working with my trainer since September of last year. I started swimming to lose weight last summer and joined the gym when the weather changed so I could use their pool. That wasn't enough though and here I am now lifting weights and working harder than I ever imagined I would or could. I nursed a pretty serious back injury for 7 years so she basically had to start from scratch to get me to this point. I think I got lucky in finding the right person for the job. I highly recommend it but be prepared to work hard. To this day she still gives me a better workout than I ever give myself.:bigsmile:
  • FitnSassy
    FitnSassy Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I have one for accountability purpose. My trainer pushes me farther than I would go on my own. I've had several throughout the years--some good, some not so good. It's important for me to work with someone who connects with my needs. It can be pretty expensive, especially if you're planning for long-term. If you are disciplined, you can get some free routines on Jefit.com. There's also an app so you can always access your routine. I'm currently in a semi-private training program that's helping me bridge the gap to working on my own. I say try whatever you are considering and make your decision to continue or not.
  • TiberiusClaudis
    TiberiusClaudis Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I found them to be much like HS teachers. Some are just going thru the motions, but once in a while you find one that truely knows his/her stuff and cares about you and your results.

In prep, you should go in with as much specifics on what you want your results to be. I actually took in a picture of a male model that I wanted to look like...eventually. This gives the PT a specific idea on what routine, diet, motivation level is needed to meet your expectations.

If you simply go in saying I want to be more toned..that's not much help. Of course a good PT will ask pointed questions, but if you go prepared, that really helps them.

Also, don't be afraid to ask them about ALL health/fitness issues. These folks spend hrs and hrs reading and keeping up with the latest research along with putting it into practice with other clients, so they know what works and what doesn't.
  • linz1976
    linz1976 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Ok thanks everyone. A bit expensive but it would be worth it if it worked