Fat to Fondo...any experienced cyclists here?

Options
Hola amigos!
So I have this crazy, insane goal that I'd love to get some advice on if possible. My honey bought me a hybrid bicycle some time ago and I absolutely fell in love with being on a bike. I am (almost) as addicted to riding it as I am to cookies, it was quite the revelation for me, the kid who avoided grade school PE with the fervency of an herbivore avoiding a lion! At first, I could barely make it up the two big hills and 8 miles separating me from my campus, seriously, grandfathers on cruisers were whizzing by me as I gasped for air like a fish out of water...but I didn't care, the freedom of the descents was worth the effort (and embarrassment). :)

A year and a half (and 88lbs) have gone by(e bye) and I'd like to take my hobby to the next level. Now I ride 14-18 miles several times a week and have done 20, 30, and 40 mile rides less frequently (once a week). My community hosts a gran fondo every Summer, and I would be absolutely stoked to participate in the August 2015 ride, but admittedly am more than a bit intimidated. Here are my questions and concerns, if you have any tips/advice/warnings/resources, they would be VERY much appreciated...

1) Presently, I still weigh a bit over 200lbs (but am focused and on track to lose more)...will I die if I participate in this 80+ mile ride next Summer? Note sarcasm, but seriously, is it ill advised if I am still on the chubby side by then?

2) I'm scared of clip in pedals, and of course, am still rocking a $100 Target clearance hybrid. Would I be an idiot not to invest in a road bike for this ride? Will they laugh me out of the local bike shop if a friendly fat person inquires about a road bike? And lastly, how long would be advisable to get acclimated to the new bike? I'm still at an economic level in my life that allows me to make jokes at the expense of the middle class, so...I will be saving for this bike (and shoes, and?) for at least 6 months.

3) What kind of training regimen will get me there? Are my shorter daily rides and one long ride on the weekend (building up to 80) enough?

4) What's the dumbest mistake you ever made on a bike? (for fun and information :)

Thanks for reading, and thank you in advance for any insights you can offer.

Replies

• runningagainstmyself
    runningagainstmyself Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    I wish I had insights, but I don't -- I just wanted to wish you luck on such an awesome adventure ahead!
  • gregsonevans
    gregsonevans Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I weigh 250 pounds and I did a 100 mile ride last year and I regularly ride 50+ miles, build up the miles gradually before the event as it will be very hard to suddenly double the ride distance, invest in a better hybrid bike rather than a roadie as comfort is key when being stuck in the saddle for so long and carry plenty of food and fluids, If the budget allows proper cycling clothing is a must as a decent pair of padded cycling shorts make such a difference, good luck with the ride,
  • ladyargentum
    ladyargentum Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    There will be others who are much more knowledgeable than I am but I will get the ball rolling:

1) If you can ride 40miles now and build up there is no reason 80 is unreasonable.

2) Clip in pedals are amazing once you get use to them- the amount of extra power that I get is certainly worth the time to learn. Just start on small around the block rides and focus on unclipping and clipping. There are different types of clip in pedals but I have only used one type so not the best to advise about this. I doubt people will laugh at u on a hybrid bike- they will think your hardcore doing a long bike ride on one. A road bike is SO different its incredible. Yes they are expensive and if you dont know much you really need to go to a bike shop. My husband bought mine through an online place (I couldnt care less about brand even if he does!) and it cost 1/3 price of a similar brand name bike and does great for me. But yes if you can save and afford for a road bike get one. You will get the use out of it so the investment is worth it!!

3) Sorry can't help you here much.

All the best!!

Edited: to say a good seat is a MUST. I personally have a Selle SMP TPK (ladies) and I can sit on that comfortably for ages. No its not the best seat out there but damn it is comfy compared to anything else I have ever used. Find one that works for you
  • WannabeSC
    WannabeSC Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    You love cycling and want to go longer distance, I would say go on and invest in a road bike. Find a good bike shop, or a club and look for a used one or year old model to help save on money. It is much more enjoyable to be riding a well fitted and maintained bike that doesn't weigh a ton every time you face a small climb. Congratulations on your weight loss, I have many friends who are now very competitive on their bikes that started out just riding as a way to lose weight....you will get there and any investment you make in equipment is also an investment in your health journey. Have you read fat, slow triathlete? It is about a mans journey in weight loss through triathlon, I think you might enjoy it. Good luck. I think you are on the right track just building up your long rides on weekends to the desired target distance, but I would stay just short of your goal distance and accomplish that on race day!
  • OPile
    OPile Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Nothing helpful to share other than support. But I am interested in others replies.
  • _Resolve_
    _Resolve_ Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    I did my first grand fondo two weeks ago, I started training for it 5 months ago 3 days a week strength and 3 days a week spin. Endurance cycling is a bit different than your average 30-40 mile ride.

A few things to consider:
    A hybrid bike is great to go out for a 20-30 mile ride, but you wont want to use it for a metric (62 mile) or full century (100 miles) By the time you hit mile 70 on a hybrid you are going to wish you had a road bike.

Clip ins - necessary to use them, you can push and pull once you wear them, I would suggest picking up some SPD shoes and get into a spin class as soon as possible to get used to wearing them

Training - You use much much more than just legs, you use shoulders, core, back.. almost every single muscle in your body is going to be used for a grand fondo. I would suggest recruiting the help of a cycling trainer to design a program for you

Get out and ride! - You have to build up to a grand fondo, in the months before try and get out at least twice a week, start at 30 miles twice a week, then 40 miles, 50 miles, 62 (metric), 75, 90 then taper off as you lead up to the big day.

Nutrition - You have to practice eating and hydration, I burned 5500 calories during the 6 hours and 48 minutes it took me to complete the ride. I would suggest picking up the "scratch labs portables book" and find some portable food you like, also pick up some scratch labs hydration mix and get used to drinking it on the go. I went through a gallon and a half of water during the ride.

Heart rate training - Google how to train in heart rate zones, if you dont have a HRM.. get one.

Hill repeats - Make sure you start to practice hills, pick one and literally go up and down it once a week for at least an hour. Practice standing climbs, seated climbs, knees to chest.. push pull push pull... that hill at mile 80 will tear you up if you arent ready

Thats all I can think of for now.. a grand fondo is something that all cyclist strive to complete. Its a great goal to have, don't take it lightly. It was the hardest physical task I have ever completed.
  • gregsonevans
    gregsonevans Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I disagree with buying a road bike, a modern hybrid can be lighter than a roadie and they have come on leaps and bounds over the last few years, if you are not comfortable on a road bike especially if you are carrying extra weight you will really struggle, spd pedals will make it easier but I did my 100 miler on my 10 year old hybrid with normal pedals and a rucksack full of sandwiches and water :smile:
  • _Resolve_
    Options
    I disagree with buying a road bike, a modern hybrid can be lighter than a roadie and they have come on leaps and bounds over the last few years, if you are not comfortable on a road bike especially if you are carrying extra weight you will really struggle, spd pedals will make it easier but I did my 100 miler on my 10 year old hybrid with normal pedals and a rucksack full of sandwiches and water :smile:

k
  • yesterdayusaid2morrow
    Options
    Thank you all most sincerely, I will definitely check out that book, I can use all the insider info I can digest! :)

That's it, I am making this promise to myself as of this moment...I will see it happen.

_Resolve_, gregsonevans, my highest kudos to you both, it's difficult for me to fathom the level of commitment such an achievement takes, but I believe I'm ready for it at this juncture in my life. It's very inspiring to hear that this is a realistic, achievable, albeit *kitten*-kicking goal.

I do think I will invest in a road bike as have already been competing in multiple dietbets and a local weight loss competition to save money for just such a reward...and the ability to both push and pull sound worth the stiffness and a few character building falls to me. I do wonder if I will be able to swap out a bigger booty friendly saddle with the variety I typically see on road bikes, which appear pretty agonizing...or maybe I'll wear two pairs of padded shorts, ha! :)

With the importance of mid-ride nutrition, is this what I read about avoiding "bonking"? Carb heavy, a bit of sodium? A 6000+ calorie burn is insane! Ha, I used to eat that much in a day easily but am blown away by the consideration of burning that much. :) I don't know how advisable this is but between riding days I alternate jogging and body-weight exercises, sit-ups, push-ups, and the like. Maybe I'll switch to just the body-weight exercises on off days.

Thank you again for the tips and sharing your inspiring accomplishments! Much appreciated.

Time to ride!
  • _Resolve_
    Options
    Thank you all most sincerely, I will definitely check out that book, I can use all the insider info I can digest! :)

That's it, I am making this promise to myself as of this moment...I will see it happen.

_Resolve_, gregsonevans, my highest kudos to you both, it's difficult for me to fathom the level of commitment such an achievement takes, but I believe I'm ready for it at this juncture in my life. It's very inspiring to hear that this is a realistic, achievable, albeit *kitten*-kicking goal.

I do think I will invest in a road bike as have already been competing in multiple dietbets and a local weight loss competition to save money for just such a reward...and the ability to both push and pull sound worth the stiffness and a few character building falls to me. I do wonder if I will be able to swap out a bigger booty friendly saddle with the variety I typically see on road bikes, which appear pretty agonizing...or maybe I'll wear two pairs of padded shorts, ha! :)

With the importance of mid-ride nutrition, is this what I read about avoiding "bonking"? Carb heavy, a bit of sodium? A 6000+ calorie burn is insane! Ha, I used to eat that much in a day easily but am blown away by the consideration of burning that much. :) I don't know how advisable this is but between riding days I alternate jogging and body-weight exercises, sit-ups, push-ups, and the like. Maybe I'll switch to just the body-weight exercises on off days.

Thank you again for the tips and sharing your inspiring accomplishments! Much appreciated.

Time to ride!

Yes, bonking is when you literally run out of fuel. A lot of cyclist like to use sticky rice with peanut butter and jelly as a mid cycle treat. I did those, cliff bars, hammer gels, larabars and bananas. Check out my blog and read the "Finish Line" post, the link is in my profile. There are other posts that also talk about the training I was doing if you are interested.

Best of luck.
  • segovm
    segovm Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    So prepare for a few different opinions, we all have different things that have worked for us.

1. You will not die. Hydration and some carbs will get you through most any ride as long as you are patient. I'm 250 lbs and went for a 47 mile fun ride yesterday. I would be out again today if it wasn't raining here.

2. I rode a lot in my youth. A lot. I've never once used clips. I lived in Utah and rode up 20 mile mountains with an average 10% grade in my hardest gear and never once used clips. If you like em use em if not they aren't magical, a tiny increase in overall output at the cost of locking your feet in. I do like toe straps on my road bike which can be a decent compromise

2.5 Bike shops are there to make money. If they made fun of chubby people buying bikes they would go out of business. Personally I would probably shy away from overspending on a nice bike right now if you see the weight loss continuing as the overall fit of the bike you want may change with your shape. Maybe grab a road bike / spare bike on Craigslist to see if it's a fun ride for you.

3. For me, the thing I did even on commutes, every day, in a hurry or not, was to pedal full force for a sprint as long as I could hold it every few minutes. They call it High Intensity Training now. The more often and longer you can sprint, and I mean full blast, the easier it is to just tool along.

Find other people to ride with if you can too (casual riders at first, not olympic trainers). It really helps to have to keep up with the pack even if its intimidating at first.

4. Rode up the aforementioned 20 mile mountain in Utah in April wearing bike shorts and a light fleece only to discover that it was still winter and the top and once I stopped pedaling up my sweat soaked body became a human popsicle.

Good luck! Hope you find something that works for you in all the tips!
  • yesterdayusaid2morrow
    Options
    Thanks for the wonderful advise segov, I really appreciate it! And I hope I shall heed your story and always remember to bring a layer or two of extra warmth! lol