Cured my PCOS

Options
I have successfully, naturally cured my PCOS!! I'm super excited, I never thought it would be possible. I've had PCOS for over 10 Years, ever since I went off birth control pills after I got married, to have children. We have no children as of yet, just miscarriages. Anyone who has pcos knows how super hard it is to lose weight and feeling bad because of insulin resistance, wacky hormones, non ovulation, etc. I've lost 30 lbs!!!! I no longer am on metformin and have stayed off of it. My hormones are completely normal, even my prolactin and testosterone, which was always super high. For the first time in 10+ years, I have had a completely normal sonogram at my gyno office!! Didn't show one cyst!! I always have multiple cysts and don't ovulate. I don't think I've ovulated in years, my body just couldn't. I am super duper excited!!! My hubby, too. Also, I am doing extremely well for being a year and a half Breast Cancer survivor. I'm going yo continue doing what I'm doing and lose another 50 lbs. I have a Drs appointment on the 20th and I'd like to lose another 10lbs by then. If I follow my life plan, it's definitely possible!

Replies

• zeina888
    zeina888 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Amazing!! How did you do that? With diet and exercise only? I have PCOS. My Dr. says that I will have cysts foreover. I can only control the situation with diet and exercise but it will never be totally cured according to what the doctor said.
  • beneficiaryofpossibility
    Options
    Thats fantastic! Congratulations! I have been diagnosed with PCOS since I was around 14 years old. I have always been overweight, and as a married adult off birth control I never naturally ovulated. I never tried any prescription drugs while trying to get pregnant-- The summer before I found out I was pregnant with my son I lost 30 pounds and I miraculously started having completely normal cycles. I don't know that I ever truly cured my PCOS, however I the symptoms have yet to return since having my little guy 14 months ago. I'm so glad that someone else has been able to fight off that annoying syndrome by making healthier lifestyle choices like I did!
  • Pinuplvr1218
    Pinuplvr1218 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Congrats, first off. Can I ask how you did this? Was there any particular diet you went on?
  • PinkyFett
    PinkyFett Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    How did you cure it? I always thought it was something you just have for like... ever?

Just by weight loss and proper diet?
  • Kitten2629
    Kitten2629 Posts: 1,359 Member
    Options
    While I find it interesting that it's been "cured" Way to go.

I have also had it for 10 plus years and have been on metformin since after my first child. I was blessed with my second child with the help of fertility pills. My doctor says I am a medical text book example of what it would look like around the ovaries. Even when I got down to a size 4 they still wanted me on the medication.

Yes, it can be controlled with Diet and exercise and yes if you lose enough you could be taken off the medication, but please be careful of the word "cured" For some reason that makes me nervous for you. You've done a fabulous job! Congrats and I hope you continue to achieve your goals.
  • LadyDeadlift
    LadyDeadlift Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    What a wonderful breakthrough for you! I wish you continued health and fertility success!
  • plantbasedbreezy
    plantbasedbreezy Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    This is amazing for you! In 2012 I, too, "cured" myself of PCOS, after having been on metformin for a mere 6 months. I lost 55 pounds in that 6 months. When I hit the weight goal my Dr set for me, she said I could come off of it. I had some tests done and no cysts, completely normal hormones, and regular cycles. I even lost another 12 pounds. This was all summer 2012. By January 2013, I was pregnant with my second child.

Everything IS possible. Keep up the amazing work!
  • Persian99
    Persian99 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    That is awesome - way to go!

You're not alone either. I am also no longer diagnosed with PCOS. Since the weight loss, my hormone levels are 100% in normal ranges, I have very regular cycles, and everything seems to be working perfectly. I was also able to get pregnant after losing some weight. My doctor told me that although there is such a thing as "lean" PCOS, the women who are overweight and diagnosed can often lessen symptoms or shake it entirely by losing weight.
  • MaureenS04
    MaureenS04 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    This post is exactly what I needed right now, I too have PCOS, been diagnosed for 14 yrs now, I had 2 children naturally without having a period for 2 years before falling pregnant with my son who is now 7 and my daughter who is nearly 6. My husband got a vasectomy last year so I got my mirena coil removed 6 months ago and currently its a nightmare, I have been bleeding for 11 weeks now every day from spotting to full on flooding. Anyway once again I have decided to get my weight down as I feel this is the way forward, my doc wouldn't put me on metformin, don't know why. He said to just watch what I eat and exercise. I generally eat quite healthy but then I have crazy binges where I eat takeaways, crisps etc. I also think my downfall is wine too so going to cut down on that. Any tips etc would be helpful, thank you x
  • kateparedes
    kateparedes Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! I too have PCOS; I was diagnosed when I was 16 and have been battling with the hormones and symptoms ever since. Since getting married, I went off birth control to prepare for pregnancy and gained a large amount of weight. Has anyone else encountered this? Now my doctor tells me that I need to lose 30lbs if I want to get pregnant next year. She doesn't really want to put me on any kind of medication right now. I remember leaving the doctor's office with tears in my eyes. I just don't know where to start! Some advice on how you succeeded would be really helpful!
  • Goldilukes
    Goldilukes Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with pcos and pre diabetic 5 years ago and since then have lost 52lbs. I have always had regular periods though so I'm not completely textbook symptoms. I was lucky to have my son when I was 15 well before being diagnosed but I was to try now I have no idea if I could conceive. I have slight thinning around the hair line and have excess hair which I have to keep on top of, none of my symptoms have disappeared since losing all the weight except I'm no longer pre diabetic. I'd love to know if anyone managed to solve the hair growth? I did low carb and now calorie count and neither have made any difference.

Good luck to you and well done for changing things up! I wish you continued success.
  • tuckeychicken
    tuckeychicken Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    That is truly inspiring and just completely amazing! So happy to hear you have cured your pcos. I have to admit I had just recently heard about it , but it sounds like something quite difficult to go through. Great job on the weight loss as well and I hope you will reach your goal.

Also if you and your husband are trying still for kids I hope you will soon be blessed with them. Keep up all your great work.
  • Persian99
    Persian99 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! I too have PCOS; I was diagnosed when I was 16 and have been battling with the hormones and symptoms ever since. Since getting married, I went off birth control to prepare for pregnancy and gained a large amount of weight. Has anyone else encountered this? Now my doctor tells me that I need to lose 30lbs if I want to get pregnant next year. She doesn't really want to put me on any kind of medication right now. I remember leaving the doctor's office with tears in my eyes. I just don't know where to start! Some advice on how you succeeded would be really helpful!

For me, I went on a relatively lower calorie diet for the first 6 or so months. I knew I couldn't eat as many calories, so I upped the quantity of food I could have (fresh vegetables, a bit of fruit, oatmeal, yogurt, popcorn) so I didn't feel deprived. I also made sure I was well hydrated because I think my brain had mixed up hunger and thirst for a long time. Honestly, once you get in the habit, it starts to feel second nature. A big thing for me was planning ahead. If I had good food prepped and available, I was less likely to get takeout or just much on potato chips. If it was one of those times (like about 3 pm) when I would normally reach for something high in calories and junky, I'd brew myself a cup of tea and sip it.

Good luck to you. You can do it. I'm not someone with a tremendous amount of self control or willpower, but once I started losing, it wasn't that difficult to keep going.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!