Need help/ advice juice cleanse?

Options
I have been on a crazy binge for the last 11 days and I feel so sick after eating around 4000 calories a day. I want to try a juice cleanse to get my body to feel less full. I feel like I am going to throw up all the time lately. Would a water fast be better? I am a recovered anorexic that has gained 80 pounds through binging the last year (60 to 140 pounds). I need to lose 40 pounds in the next ten weeks. Please help!

Replies

• tinkbaby101
    tinkbaby101 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Have you gotten help from a professional regarding the binging? A juice cleanse (or water fasting) isn't going to make your cravings go away, or curb your binges.

Also, 40lbs in 10 weeks is a very, very aggressive amount of weight, unless you're substantially obese. What is your current height and weight?

Speak with a doctor and get some help. That's where I'd suggest you start. :flowerforyou:
  • 120by30
    120by30 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Honey, get off this forum and seek professional help. Please.
  • Act2130
    Act2130 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I am 5'2 and 145 pounds about right now. I lost 5 then gained ten with the binging in the last eleven days. I have been in treatment for the anorexia for many years but the binging is new (for the last 8 months). I am not seeking anorexia, my ideal weight throughout treatment was 105 so that's what I am seeking. My binging is terrible when I feel like there is no hope to lose 40 pounds. I am hoping if I can give myself a boost I will feel better about myself and will eat healthy.

At the risk of oversharing--- my husband served me with divorce papers ten days after I got out of treatment for the anorexia and we are going to court in ten weeks--- hence the ten week goal.

I want to be healthy---- so protein shakes???

Ugh--- I wish there was a magic pill
  • Savemyshannon
    Savemyshannon Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm very sorry that you're going through such a hard time.

I will strongly suggest that you seek professional help. I hope you don't take that poorly. The fact is you are recovering from an eating disorder and you're going through a personal trauma. That puts you at a high risk for relapsing or turning to other self-destructive ways to channel your stress. I hope that doesn't sound presumptive, I speak only from personal experience, having recovered from my own binging/purging and self inflicted injury years ago.

Having a healthy way to release some of that pent up stress will do you a world of good and will help to keep you on the 'straight and narrow' in regards to your health and eating. While I applaud your desire to be 'healthy' instead of 'skinny', I think that your personal and mental health should probably come before your physical weight. Once you're happy and healthy in your mind, it becomes easier to put that into your body, as well.

I hope I didn't offend and again, I'm sorry about the divorce. Good luck. :(
  • Act2130
    Options
    I appreciate the advice--- I agree the body tends to react to the mind. If I feel good about myself losing weight seems to be a lot easier. I am just trying to figure out a way to at least coast into neutral. I am desperately trying not to fall into the b/p cycle because I know it's easy to simply trade eating disorders. Hoping I can lose some weight and recognize myself again :/
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    I have been on a crazy binge for the last 11 days and I feel so sick after eating around 4000 calories a day. I want to try a juice cleanse to get my body to feel less full. I feel like I am going to throw up all the time lately. Would a water fast be better? I am a recovered anorexic that has gained 80 pounds through binging the last year (60 to 140 pounds). I need to lose 40 pounds in the next ten weeks. Please help!

No. 1- there is no reason for a cleanse of any kind. Your body naturally cleanses itself.

No. 2- You say you are a recovered anorexic, but it sounds to me like you still have an eating disorder because you binged for 11 days at 4,000 calories a day. Now you want to go to the other extreme and fast., as well as lose 40 pounds in the next ten weeks Because of this, you need to get professional help. Please do this right away.

No. 3- you will not lose 40 pounds in the next ten weeks- that's four pounds a week and not at all realistic. You will cause more harm to your body.

Please, PLEASE, get yourself to a doctor.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    Why do you need to lose weight before going to court?
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    HIre lawyer to show up in court for you.
  • 120by30
    120by30 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I am 5'2 and 145 pounds about right now. I lost 5 then gained ten with the binging in the last eleven days. I have been in treatment for the anorexia for many years but the binging is new (for the last 8 months). I am not seeking anorexia, my ideal weight throughout treatment was 105 so that's what I am seeking. My binging is terrible when I feel like there is no hope to lose 40 pounds. I am hoping if I can give myself a boost I will feel better about myself and will eat healthy.

At the risk of oversharing--- my husband served me with divorce papers ten days after I got out of treatment for the anorexia and we are going to court in ten weeks--- hence the ten week goal.

I want to be healthy---- so protein shakes???

Ugh--- I wish there was a magic pill

Your husband is a jerk and you have nothing to prove to him at court. I know that's easy for me to say, but it's the truth. Doing a juice cleanse or water fast would not only not help you lose weight, it could trigger another binge half-way through it. If you can't seek out a professional due to financial issues, maybe you could find a support group nearby.
  • Savemyshannon
    Savemyshannon Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    If you're employed, check to see if your employer offers an EAP--Employee Assistance Program. It's an anonymous telephone center where you can call in and receive over-the-phone counseling. Not only do they listen to your problems and offer guidance over the phone but they can also act as a great resource and connect you with mental health professionals, support groups, even financial counselors. It's a great program that is sadly underused.
  • Act2130
    Options

Lol I think this is the best advice!!!
    And yes I am aware I still have disordered eating...and yes treatment is wayyyy too expensive ( for those of you that dont know-- treatment centers are over 1000 dollars a day and insurance rarely covers it)

And....as far as unrealistic goal? It's calories in vs calories burned yes? Eat 1200 burn 1450 bmr 1750 would create a deficit of 2000 a day equaling 4 pounds a week? And please don't jump down my throat if this is crazy--- I'm trying really hard NOT to be anorexic. I'm new to this
  • Act2130
    Options
    If you're employed, check to see if your employer offers an EAP--Employee Assistance Program. It's an anonymous telephone center where you can call in and receive over-the-phone counseling. Not only do they listen to your problems and offer guidance over the phone but they can also act as a great resource and connect you with mental health professionals, support groups, even financial counselors. It's a great program that is sadly underused.

Thanks! I will definitely check into that!
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options

And yes I am aware I still have disordered eating...and yes treatment is wayyyy too expensive ( for those of you that dont know-- treatment centers are over 1000 dollars a day and insurance rarely covers it)

And....as far as unrealistic goal? It's calories in vs calories burned yes? Eat 1200 burn 1450 bmr 1750 would create a deficit of 2000 a day equaling 4 pounds a week? And please don't jump down my throat if this is crazy--- I'm trying really hard NOT to be anorexic. I'm new to this
    It's not your fault that you are anorexic, therefore you cannot try or not try to be anorexic.

Losing 4 pounds a week is crazy, and will most likely lead to more bingeing.

If you have health insurance, then you can be proactive for yourself and get your doctor to refer you to support group for people with eating disorders. You can find free groups as well, such as Overeaters Anonymous, which is for those who overeat or under eat.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options

Netting a negative amount for the day is going to harm your body.
    I know you've said that you have disordered eating habits, but from what I've read so far, it seems like you are on the edge of a relapse. 40lbs in 2 1/2 months is not going to happen. 40lbs in two months is likely going to get you put back into treatment, if it doesn't send you to the ER first.

Please get professional help as soon as possible. The cost is nothing compared to the importance of your health, well being, and most importantly, your life.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Honestly, it is crazy. And unrealistic. And unhealthy. And I would be saying that to someone without a history of eating disorders. For someone who has been anorexic and is binge eating... it is even more crazy. Sorry if that sounds brutal, but it sounds like you want honest advice. Attempting this is going to make your situation worse.

Bear in mind also that calories in/calories out is not as simple as it seems because as a recovered anorectic, your body may not expend energy in the same way it would have done once, so the calculations will likely be off for you. That said, your body (or a hypothetical non-eating disordered body) is not going to let go of 4 lbs of fat a week. Not unless you have a lot more weight to lose than you do. So, you're going to drop muscle mass, and bone density (both of which have probably been negatively affected already by your disorder) which will lower your metabolic rate and make it even harder for you to maintain a healthy weight.

Not to mention the fact that for many people (and I think we can include you here) binge eating is directly caused by restricting food intake. It's a normal physiological and psychological response. You're talking about an insane amount of restriction. You're already bingeing. Do you honestly think that cutting calories so drastically is not going to make you binge more? This is not something you can will yourself out of or somehow find the mental strength to avoid.

Please get professional help as a matter of urgency, whatever you can afford, and whatever free services you can get hold of. You do not need to lose weight to be in court, you need to start taking care of yourself. Please, please, please read all the comments here and see this thread as a wake up call.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options

doesnt seem like you are trying
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    How were you planning to burn 1450 extra calories per day?? You're very small already I would say at least four hours of intense exercise, not realistic! You've been down this rabbit hole before and know where it leads; don't do it. Wanting to lose that much weight in that little time at your size is not normal, it's disordered. You should adjust your plan or seek help for this all too familiar issue
  • agrafina
    agrafina Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    40 pounds in 2 months is completely unrealistic. You seem to still be very much stuck in an eating disorder mindset. I agree with others. Look into an EAP program, start looking around in your area for psychologists who have experience with eating disorders. Trying to meet your aggressive goal will destroy you. Going from eating 4,000 calories a day to a deficit of 2,000 will be extremely difficult. That is a 6,000 calorie a day change, and you will only binge even worse than you are now, which will make things even worse.

As far as court goes. Hire a lawyer. **** your ex. You need to take control of your life and do what is best, and healthiest for you. If that means weighing 145 at court but not having relapsed into a full blown ED, then that is your victory. Your health and well-being matter more than showing up all hot in court for the man who is divorcing you.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    No.
  • ihad
    ihad Posts: 7,462 Member
    Options
    Definitely check into an EAP program. NEDA can also point you at other available resources that may not be so expensive:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/ihad/view/eating-disorders-a-place-for-help-623013

I would advise you to keep your diet and your court date separate issues. Trying to lose so much weight so quickly will put you on a bad path.

Set a reasonable goal, like losing 1 - 2 pounds a week.

Work on building healthy sustainable habits. Instead of a cleanse, just start eating within your calorie goal with balanced meals that meet your macros and allow for an occasional treat.

Take care of yourself - you've got better things coming.