Stupid scale!

Options
How do you get over or deal with the stupid number on the scale. My clothes are fitting better I feel better I know I'm on the right track. I lost almost 5inches from last week to this week. Which I am very happy about which could also mean I'm gaining muscle bonus! However I can't seem to get past the fact the number on the scale isn't moving too much. How do you deal with this if you have or are experiencing the same problem?

Replies

• KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    I have had the same problem. The scale has budged 1 lb for me in 6 months, however I have lost inches as well and I feel like my body is changing. I think that the measurements and taking pics are so much better then the scale.

I see it as myself nor people can see how much I weigh if never looking at the scale, but myself and people can see the way I look and feel. If you look and feel great, then that is what matters. The scale weight makes no difference anymore.

Honestly I would love the scale to go down, but if I continue to lose inches and the scale doesn't move then so be it. I rather lose inches (fat and very little muscle) anyway.
  • april979
    april979 Posts: 39
    Options
    I have same problem. I found at one time I was weighing myself too often and would get so discouraged. Now I try not to weigh myself any more than twice a month. Keep working at it though and it will move eventually. Dont give up before it happens.
  • Shmeelady
    Shmeelady Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I get it trust me.

Only for me I am gaining!
    For the past two weeks I have been trying to tone up, started strength training twice a day, have lost inches and even dropped a pant size. HOWEVER I have gained 4lbs!!!

It's a complete downer, and I can't get over it. lol.
  • nesto610
    nesto610 Posts: 107
    Options
    I used to have the same feelings as you, however, I learned to click the "reports" tab on MFP and take solace in the fact that the graph tends to follow a downward trend. Keep up the good work!!

I am not gonna lie and say that I still don't get discouraged from time to time when the scale goes up, especially if it is drastic. However, usually the drastic upticks are due to the fact that I had a weekend filled with sodium overload and my high weight is due to water retention..

Just keep on keeping on!!
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    If it doesn't move for more like six to eight weeks, you may be eating maintenance calories. By weighing very often I actually understand my body weight trends, when I'm retaining water, when to expect a drop, etc. If you prefer to weigh less often, that's okay too :)
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I sat myself down and asked myself "Why do you care about your scale weight? Write down the reasons"

After staring at the blank page for a while I got over it and stopped caring about my scale weight. I still measure for the datapoint for TDEE calculatuon but I have no emotional investment.

So. Why do you care about tour scale weight?
  • Apocalypz
    Apocalypz Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Get rid of the scale. Let's be simple about it, shall we? You already recognise that you're changing for the good. Keep tracking your calories, continue to exercise, then maybe check in on your long-lost friend in 2 weeks. Would that be reasonable?
  • __freckles__
    __freckles__ Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    How do you get over or deal with the stupid number on the scale. My clothes are fitting better I feel better I know I'm on the right track. I lost almost 5inches from last week to this week. Which I am very happy about which could also mean I'm gaining muscle bonus! However I can't seem to get past the fact the number on the scale isn't moving too much. How do you deal with this if you have or are experiencing the same problem?

Are you eating at maintenance? How long has it been since the scale moved? If you've lost inches you're on the right path. Did you recently start weight training - maybe you are retaining water? Need more info.

Personally I could give a rat's what my scale says. I'm more interested in body fat percentage and how I look in the mirror.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    Options
    I sat myself down and asked myself "Why do you care about your scale weight? Write down the reasons"

After staring at the blank page for a while I got over it and stopped caring about my scale weight. I still measure for the datapoint for TDEE calculatuon but I have no emotional investment.

Why do you still display a ticker?
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options

Why do you still display a ticker?

Why not? As far as I am aware the only ticker there is on MFP is weight-based. If they had a waist measurement ticker or a %bodyfat ticker I might use that instead although %bodyfat measures aren't that accurate. I still track measures including scale weight, I just don't have an emotional attachment to scale weight. I want to lose fat, I want to drive my percent bodyfat lower. My desire is to get down to a more athletic 12%-ish bodyfat and improve my fitness level. If I'm 155 pounds or 180 pounds when I achieve that I really don't care. I assume I will be 155 pounds, hence the ticker...but the number itself doesn't matter to me...just the progress.

I weight myself daily. If the number goes down I enter it into MFP and it displays on my ticker. If the number goes up I enter it into MFP and it displays on my ticker. I don't feel particularly good or bad doing so it is just routine. Scale weight can be a useful measure of progress but it is not one of my goals, My goals are bodyfat related or fitness related, not scale weight related. That is all I meant. If someone were to ask me on the street what my weight was I would just tell them with no emotional attachment to it.
  • cinnam6n
    cinnam6n Posts: 31 Member
    Options

Focus on what's going right for you. Weight is very complex and it falls off some people and clings onto others. You have to look at the changes in your body and inch loss is key. You could be gaining muscle and losing fat at a similar rate. Especially if you are exercising a lot.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    Options
    I assumed it was a progress ticker, as in I want to get from here to there. You could always turn it off if it's meaningless to you. Just seemed odd to say weight doesn't matter yet you prominently display your own progress meter.

But what I find amazing is a number of posts saying weight doesn't matter on the "General weight loss" forum. A legitimate head scratcher for me.
  • JG762
    JG762 Posts: 571 Member
    Options

Make the scale your friend. Read the ramblings on my profile page...
  • fit_gal
    fit_gal Posts: 167
    Options
    Something like this happened to me a few years ago. Turned out the scales spring had broken. I had to buy a new scale.
  • fit_gal
    fit_gal Posts: 167
    Options
    Ps This has happened with a battery scale too. The batteries were low.