walking combined with breastfeeding?

Options
polkadotty88
polkadotty88 Posts: 142 Member
Six weeks ago I gave birth to a little boy and have been struggling to lose weight since. I have began walking for about 60 mins per day, some days more and I also breastfeed. So far I have not lost any weight. (I've been doing it for a couple of weeks so far). Do you know if this is a good way to lose weight and will breastfeeding aftually help me lose weight?

Replies

• roanokejoe49
    roanokejoe49 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    What are you eating? How intensely are you walking?
  • mmichellea
    mmichellea Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Sometimes or body holds on to the weight whilst Brest feeding to ensure baby has enuf.
  • hope76579
    hope76579 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    My three little ones are grown now, and the medical advise might have change. 20 years ago though, my MD told me that breast feeding uses about 500 calories and suggested a 2000 calorie diet. Keep in mind to that breastfeeding breasts add weight to the scale. Drink lots of water and keep it up. The benefits of walking are there even if the scale isn't moving. Best of luck to you.
  • MrsATrotta
    MrsATrotta Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I don't personally have any kids but I know walking is great exercise for anyone. Prob about 3 years ago I walked all summer not really even for weight loss just enjoying summer and I lost 20lbs without even knowing it. Now I walk a few times a week (2-5 miles per walk) and I know it helps me. I also do Jillian Michaels Ripped in 30. I feel like I definitely lose more weight with the video, but the walking never hurts to nudge the scale. Maybe add in something a little harder, or like someone else said try walking at a faster pace
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    Now, I'm a dude, so I could be wrong here and whatnot, but I really think it's easier if you sit down. At least give it a shot. Nothing to lose, really.
  • triciab79
    triciab79 Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    Breastfeeding ups your cravings and lowers your guilt around food. You need to be very very careful about how much you eat while breastfeeding. The baby takes what the baby needs. Your body will give to the breastmilk first and you second. Malnourished moms in 3rd world countries have excellent breast milk so you have little to worry about as far as the little one is concerned with either exercise or dieting. The thing that will effect production is being dehydrated. You have to up your water consumption by a lot. You should also take a really good multivitamin and make sure everything you do put in your body has value beyond it's empty calories. 1200 calories of protein veggies and calcium beats 2000 calories of junk food for your babies development.

I dieted while breastfeeding but did not walk because exercise ups cravings and the combination of breastfeeding cravings and exercise cravings were just too much.
  • Thirdandbird
    Thirdandbird Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    My baby is six months and I'm breast feeding. I only started to count calories when he was 5 months old. I've been eating so much better, more nutritious foods and lots of water. The weight has started to come off. I weighed myself when my son was 5 months and then when he was six months. I've lost 9 pounds. I just cut out most processed stuff and started eating fresh foods and drinking more water. I think it's what you eat that will help. You don't have to cut down calories, just eat more of the good things so you don't waste calories. Also since I started eating protein in the morning, like a chicken curry soup with peppers, or a cup of bean chilli, my cravings disappeared.
  • haffykhat
    haffykhat Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I am doing this too. The guidelines for breastfeeding is to eat to hunger and avoid junk as usual. Also go a bit easy on yourself, it has only been 6 weeks.
  • Odiliawine
    Odiliawine Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    The biggest thing would be to make sure that you're eating enough to let your body lose the weight. I did a lot of research on how much breastfeeding burns in calories and the general consensus seems to be that for each 1 ounce of breastmilk you make it takes about 5 calories. It doesn't seem like a lot- and certainly not 500 calories worth- but I know I was making about 60 ounces a day at one point and dropping weight like crazy! But if you're doing too much (and breastfeeding counts as work) and not eating enough then your body will try and stash away the extra calories to make sure you can continue producing milk. You also need to remember that the most amount of weight lost due to breastfeeding is months 3-6. Give your body some time, you've just barely lost all of the pregnancy water weight at this point. Go slow, eat plenty and enjoy your little one!
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Now, I'm a dude, so I could be wrong here and whatnot, but I really think it's easier if you sit down. At least give it a shot. Nothing to lose, really.

I disagree... with a suitable baby sling, you can breastfeed and walk around at the same time. And I think this kind of device was probably invented in the middle palaeolithic era. It has the added advantage of freeing up both hands for gathering food or doing housework or typing up posts on an internet forum (depending on what era you happen to live in). :drinker:

OP: Set your MFP goal to lose 1lb a week.... then log 500 cals/day as exercise (breastfeeding calories) and eat them back, and log and eat back 80% of your exercise (walking) calories. If you're mixed feeding, then reduce the 500 breastfeeding calories in proportion, e.g. if your baby gets half his feeds from formula, then half the number, i.e. 250 cals. It's totally possible and safe to lose weight while breastfeeding, and it does help in that it gives you up to 500 calories extra a day, but as someone above said it can make you more hungry as well, hence the need to count calories. Don't try to lose weight faster than 1lb a week (0.5lb a week if you have 15lb or less to lose) as you need to be sure you're eating enough to keep up your milk supply. Your baby may need more calories during a growth spurt so if you have days where baby seems to be constantly feeding then don't be afraid to eat more to keep up your milk supply.
  • PinkCupcakes84
    PinkCupcakes84 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    You're only 6 w pp. You will start to lose the weight just give it time. Congrats on your bundle!!
  • cheripugh1
    cheripugh1 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    My baby is six months and I'm breast feeding. I only started to count calories when he was 5 months old. I've been eating so much better, more nutritious foods and lots of water. The weight has started to come off. I weighed myself when my son was 5 months and then when he was six months. I've lost 9 pounds. I just cut out most processed stuff and started eating fresh foods and drinking more water. I think it's what you eat that will help. You don't have to cut down calories, just eat more of the good things so you don't waste calories. Also since I started eating protein in the morning, like a chicken curry soup with peppers, or a cup of bean chilli, my cravings disappeared.

yep I agree with the above... and 6 weeks is no time, don't rush it you will be fine.
  • Lesleycali
    Lesleycali Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your new baby!!!

Your body is still adjusting to all these different changes and IMO 6 weeks is still really early on in the postpartum period. That said walking is great exercise and yes, invest in a sling or baby wrap! I wore my two babies everywhere, even hiking, and they could just nurse as needed!!! Plus extra work out (and cuddles) for mama carrying the baby round. I can't say enough about babywearing, but that's a whole different topic lol

I really didn't start to think of watching caloric intake until the kiddos started eating solids at 6 month or so. Besides that I found gentle exercise and eating sensibly (real food and not gorging on sweets, well not all the time anyway) was a good starting point. Breastfeeding really changed my appetite, for sure, though. I was much more hungry.
  • caterpillardreams
    caterpillardreams Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Congratulations by the way.

Very good advise from the previous answers. I have a 9 week old baby.
    And it is very hard. She is my 3rd baby. I am 31 years old and its getting harder to get back in to shape.
    That being said, its what you eat that is gonna be the main factor in losing weight and getting healthy.
    You will crave more food, you will be hungry more often. I hardly had cravings when I was pregnant compared to how bad they get while I am breastfeeding.
    My advice
    1) Do not buy any junk food. Treat yourself every once in a while, but be honest about how much you are treating yourself.
    2) cut back a lot on added sugar. Not saying do not have any but you need to know where your sugar is coming from. Sweets are my weakness.
    3) cook at home. This is a biggie. If you are out a lot. Pack a snack, use your slow cooker, cook a big dinner and pack leftovers for lunch.
    4) snack on apples, bananas, strawberries. its the perfect season to get your fruits in.
    5) Water, Water, Water. buy yourself a big reusable bottle, and fill it up a few times a day and drink alot. a cup before a meal, a cup after. First thing when you wake up drink a couple glasses.
    6) Walking has helped me regain my strength.

I have eaten some fast food a couple times since I have had my baby, but I do not ever plan on it. it will also save you tons of money if this is one of your weaknesses. its cheaper to make what you want at home. and you can make it healthier.

You can do this. Some days are harder then others but you have to want it. Its easy to give up, but you have to fight for what you want, even if it means fighting your cravings.

Its true you need to take your time, because for me this weight loss is very slow. Some people look amazing in one week after, others not so much. when you see being to understand that it will take time, then you can be honest with yourself, and know that it dos no happen over night.
  • MscGray
    MscGray Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    When I was nursing I left my body's needs fall by the wayside because I was so concerned about the baby's needs. I ate very little through the day and then when I had a chance snarfed a ton of crap. Some things that I would recommend are make sure that you are eating through out the day, try to keep your water intake and protein up...those will both help keep you full for longer, and help keep you milk supply up. I didn't watch my diet post partum, but they did encourage me to take in an additional 500 cals a day while nursing....so if your tracking, maybe edit you daily calorie goal up a little, keep it up and soon enough you will see results!
  • Kittysaurusrex13
    Kittysaurusrex13 Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I'm still nursing my son at 18 months and didn't start losing any weight until I got serous a few months back. Wallkng is great exercise for a new mom because you can bring your baby along in a carrier or stroller. Make sure you are getting 500 extra healthy calories in so you don't put your body in starvation mode.

In a few months when baby is ready for a jogging stroller you should consider running. Since I started ruining I've lost 12 lbs.
  • Polishprinsezz
    Polishprinsezz Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Sometimes or body holds on to the weight whilst Brest feeding to ensure baby has enuf.

not true!
  • Polishprinsezz
    Polishprinsezz Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    do u breast feed and walk at the same time?

does that matter? and yes you can do both at the same time. most babies dont suckle non-stop for 60 minutes though.
  • mbennett024
    mbennett024 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I got back to my pre-preg weight from just breastfeeding and not eating as much junk in about four months, though I was overweight to begin with so I am still trying to lose more. It seems to have stalled out here at 11 months. I eat anywhere from 1200 - 2200 cals a day, usually more like 1500.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!