vitamin deficiency -foods

Options
Does anyone have problems with charley horses after a work out? I know i have a vitamin deficiency problem, so i take supplements daily, but wondered if anyone had suggestions for good post work out snacks to help with the cramping?

Replies

• Kourtney88
    Kourtney88 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Stretch and drink lots of water :)
  • Tamelaine
    Options
    Drink lots of water for sure. I've also heard the bananas are good for getting rid of charlie horses. May be wrong, but I got horrible ones when I was pregnant, and that is what someone told me. Too bad I can't stand bananas!
  • glittersoul
    Options
    They're saying bananas because of the potassium.. But there are a lot of foods you can eat to get that besides bananans

http://whfoods.org/genpage.php?tname=nutrient&dbid=90

Potassium is found in abundance in many foods, and is especially easy to obtain in fruits and vegetables. Excellent sources of potassium include chard, crimini mushrooms, and spinach.

Very good sources of potassium include fennel, kale, mustard greens, Brussel sprouts, broccoli, winter squash, blackstrap molasses, eggplant, cantaloupe, and tomatoes.

Good sources of potassium include parsley, cucumber, bell pepper, turmeric, apricots, ginger root, strawberries, avocado, banana, tuna, halibut, cauliflower and cabbage.
  • angelsandwolves09
    angelsandwolves09 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    They're saying bananas because of the potassium.. But there are a lot of foods you can eat to get that besides bananans

Potassium is found in abundance in many foods, and is especially easy to obtain in fruits and vegetables. Excellent sources of potassium include chard, crimini mushrooms, and spinach.

Very good sources of potassium include fennel, kale, mustard greens, Brussel sprouts, broccoli, winter squash, blackstrap molasses, eggplant, cantaloupe, and tomatoes.

Good sources of potassium include parsley, cucumber, bell pepper, turmeric, apricots, ginger root, strawberries, avocado, banana, tuna, halibut, cauliflower and cabbage.

When I was pregnant they told me to eat almost everything on this list!! lol I get major cramps in my legs especially(I have RLS) and eating these foods really helps!! And instead of just eating them by themselves, you could make a side dish with most of it! Also, doing extra stretches for your calves after you work out will help tremendously!!
  • minervasp73
    Options
    You might be dehydrated on top of the vitamin deficiency. I've been downing the hot green tea during the day so that I get all my liquids. At night I have decaf green tea.

I get painful muscle cramps during my exercise, afterwards, and depending on what I did - the next day. Drinking enough liquids really seems to help !!
  • pedro_v2003
    pedro_v2003 Posts: 2 Member
    Options

Also be aware that whfoods uses nutritional density (e.g., potassium/calories) to determine their rankings of excellent, very good, good, and so on. So something could have an "excellent" rating, but you may have to eat quite a bit of it to get to your total intake goals.