Females eating 2000 calories a day

Options
Hi there, for the last 2ish years I have been trying to eat around 1500-1600 calories a day with the exception of normally a cheat on a Saturday night. I have been struggling with the eurge to binge randomly which I think may be caused by my lower intake of food. I exercise daily rather intensely and am 23 years old. I am thinking of trying to eat more each day of good food eg: upping my oatmeal amount and adding extra scoop of protein in the afternoon.
Any comments welcome!

Replies

• Malthuura
    Malthuura Posts: 3
    Options
    If your intake is 1500-1600 total- meaning you eat that while burning 500-1000 calories or more- then I think you might be right. I'd up your intake with healthy additions- more protein, especially after a workout, some fruit or veggies. If you're eating small portionas you might have to enlarge them at mid-day or breakfast. Make sure to drink plenty of water throughout the day and that could help. Also don't be afraid to have a serving of starch/carb with at least one of your meals if not both. They add the calories and they can help fight the cravings. Sometimes a snack like- a serving of Triscuits (which is only 6 crackers) can help you stay near your calorie goal (they only have 130 per serving) while actually curbing the craving and fulfilling it at the same time. *smiles* I hope that helps. I wish I could be more help. *smiles*
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    If you're trying to maintain, you might feel less binge-y and do fine on higher calories. I know some people claim they lose better at higher intake here but it's really not very likely. Though they may certainly adhere better and still lose and be more comfortable.
  • __freckles__
    __freckles__ Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Need more info. How tall are you? How much are you trying to lose per week? What are your workouts like? This is the calculator I used to figure out my calories. This is for TDEE so your exercise calories are already included so you don't have to record them or worry about eating those calories back:

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/ 

I'm 5'8 and lift weights 3x's a week. My maintenance TDEE is 2200, so I am eating 1950 in order to lose 1/2 a pound per week. The jury is still out and I'm praying I don't have to eat less as I just started cutting this week after a 15 week bulk.
  • sarahroseconroy
    sarahroseconroy Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your anwsers! I am 5'9 and weigh 80kg so would like to loose 5-7kgs my workouts are walking or running everyday for 30-40mins with two BodyPump classes, two big weights sessions and a game of netball each week! I think it will see how I go on 2000 I just need to hit the urge to binge on the head because when I do I really ruins my progess
  • sarahroseconroy
    Options
    Oh and so far in the past two years I have lost 12ish KGs but I know I could be better with my nutrition in terms of eating more daily instead of binging because of lack of food!
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your anwsers! I am 5'9 and weigh 80kg so would like to loose 5-7kgs my workouts are walking or running everyday for 30-40mins with two BodyPump classes, two big weights sessions and a game of netball each week! I think it will see how I go on 2000 I just need to hit the urge to binge on the head because when I do I really ruins my progess

I'm 5'8" and 166lbs (~76kg). I lift heavy 3 days a week, although I'm moving to a 4 day split soon, and I run, sometimes....if I feel like it, I've been meaning to do more of that....

Anyways, I am losing steadily at about a 1/2 lb per week eating anywhere from 2300 to 2500 calories a day. Obviously your mileage will vary, but 2000 calories a day for your stats sounds completely reasonable.
  • sarahroseconroy
    Options
    Awesome you sound nice and balanced! Thanks for the advise!!
  • __freckles__
    __freckles__ Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options

Just plugged your numbers into the scooby calculator and it says you could eat closer to 2300 and still lose 1/2 a pound a week (I put you at 3-5 hours of exercise per week). So you can definately start out with 2000 and see how it goes, and you can most likely eat even more than that.

Good luck!
  • kimstwin
    kimstwin Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I am 5'10". I run 3x weekly, lift 3-4 times a week. I eat 1950-2400 and net from 1800 and up depending on exercise. I have lost 111.5 pounds in just over 3 years.
  • sarahroseconroy
    Options
    Very cool! Love it thanks everyone you have resited my faith it eating a little more! Hopeing it stops the binge sessions!
  • littlekitty3
    littlekitty3 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I'm the same age as you, shorter than you, at a healthy BMI and I eat 2200 calories average. I am also a vegan who eats a ton of carbs (just proving that high protein is bullsh!t and that binges are usually because you are not eating enough carbs from the right sources.... a.k.a. vitamins and minerals the body is trying to get). I have way more energy from my days of eating 1200 - 1500 calories and better mood.
    So I'm just saying go for it.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    I'm the same age as you, shorter than you, at a healthy BMI and I eat 2200 calories average. I am also a vegan who eats a ton of carbs (just proving that high protein is bullsh!t and that binges are usually because you are not eating enough carbs from the right sources.... a.k.a. vitamins and minerals the body is trying to get). I have way more energy from my days of eating 1200 - 1500 calories and better mood.
    So I'm just saying go for it.

Because high carb works for YOU doesn't make high protein "bull****" for anyone or everyone else, just sayin'