Weight training

Options
i wanted to hear from women who do weight training on what kind of plan their working to. Basically i'm looking to find out what weight exercises have worked for others to help them tone up.
missi

Replies

• melmi20
    melmi20 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I'm doing a 12 week weight training plan that a friend told me about: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/womans_lean_sexy_bible.htm

It gives you the breakdown on how us women should be training with free weights, the benefits that occur in your body as a result, and how to perform each move. It's been great for me so far!
  • msbanana
    msbanana Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    I'm a weight training fool. :bigsmile:
    I'm kind of a gym rat now so I go 5-6 days a week and I alternate lower body and upper body days. I do legs 3 day a week- my leg routine is about like this:

Warm-up (1 mile run)
    Walking Lunges w/dumbbells (Forward & Backward)
    Squat Jumps
    Wall Sits
    Step-ups (15in Step- 15lb dumbells step up high knees)
    Hack Squat
    Incline Leg Press
    Single leg (Romanian) Deadlifts
    Kettlebell Swings
    Deadlifts
    BOSU Squats (using weighted medicine ball)
    Band Work (I have several resistance bands that I use for flexors inner/outer thigh, hips etc)
    *END* Run Stairmill (20 minutes)

My Upperbody I do on non leg days 2-3 days a week
    Warm-up (1 mile run)
    Chin-ups (I use the assist machine)
    Benchpress
    Incline Bench press
    Barbell Curls
    Upright Row
    Overhead Barbell Press
    Inclined Pec Fly (barbells)
    Front Arm Raises
    Side Arm Raises
    Overhead Tricep Press
    Dips
    Skull Crushers (have a spotter for these)
    BOSU Pushups
    *END* Elliptical 20 minutes and/or Swim 20 minutes (I'll usually do both)

Both of these workouts are pretty intense but they get the job done. I've had tremendous success with these and my guns are coming along quite nicely. :bigsmile:

**Editied to add: CORE EVERYDAY!!! I usually do it after my cardio but exercise ball crunches, planks (Prone and side), hello darlin's, butt burners, bridges, scorpions etc.. all do wonders. :drinker:
  • jenneyd
    jenneyd Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I'm doing a 12 week weight training plan that a friend told me about: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/womans_lean_sexy_bible.htm

It gives you the breakdown on how us women should be training with free weights, the benefits that occur in your body as a result, and how to perform each move. It's been great for me so far!
    thanks for posting!
  • carolww
    carolww Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    There's a great book you can get from Amazon. The New Rules of Lifting for Women. I did this program and loved it.
  • leighclayton
    leighclayton Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    There's a great book you can get from Amazon. The New Rules of Lifting for Women. I did this program and loved it.

I want to check this book out after I do the Female Body Breakthrough program I am currently working through - Rachel Cosgrove is the author. Her husband Alwyn Cosgrove designed the workouts in the New Rules for Lifting. I really like Rachel's program so far. It is kicking my *kitten*.

I also use the TRX for strength training - it is a total core workout and is actually really fun too. I am really into the whole functional fitness and bodyweight strength training workouts.
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    P90X
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    I do various things...

Arms -

Tricep curls
    Tricep extension
    Bicep curls
    Overhead press
    (and more I don't know the names of)

Legs -

Squats
    Static squat with bicep curls
    Leg press
    Hamstring extension
    Hamstring curls
    Dead lifts
    Hydrants with a kick

Core -

The thing where you hold onto the bars and you're vertical, and have to pull your legs up to your chest - lol! I don't know what they're called but they WORK and hurt.
    Side plank lifts

I do a lot of other stuff that I don't know the names of.
  • skinnyb450
    Options
    Thanks of the info - I will bump to read later :):smile:
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    Crossfit.
  • AdamATGATT
    AdamATGATT Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    My wife has been doing the workouts from the book, "Smart Girls Do Dumbbells". http://www.amazon.com/Smart-Girls-Dumbbells-Judith-Sherman-Wolin/dp/1573223867.

She likes it alot.
  • rawdefault
    Options
    I do this 3 times a week, plus 30+ mins cardio 5 times a week. I'm only doing 1 set of 16 - 20 reps per exercise, and it takes just over 20 mins for me to complete. I'm also doing the 200 Squats Challenge.

Upper Body
    - push-ups
    - bicep curls
    - tricep extension
    - lateral raises
    - chest flies

Abs
    - crunches
    - reverse crunches
    - oblique crunches
    - bicycle exercise
    - modified plank (just hold for 30 seconds)

Lower Body
    - front leg lifts per leg
    - side leg lifts per leg
    - squats
    - lunges per leg