Do you count non-starchy vegetables in food diary

Options
Hi guys! I was wondering if you include non-starchy vegetables in your food diary. I include potato, yams and avocado. Should i be including all vegetables to ensure my calories are correct? I noticed non-starcy veg are 'free' according to Weight Watchers and my nutritionist wasn't concerned about counting the carbs in vegetables due to the high fiber content.

I'm interested to hear what you guys do!

R

Replies

• traceywoody
    traceywoody Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I count everything. It does add up. :)
  • PinkCupcakes84
    PinkCupcakes84 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I count it all
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Depends. If you eat greens by the pounds every day, maybe you should.
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Logging everything gives you a much better picture of what you are eating and allows for easier dietary adjustments in my opinion

Wondering what your nutritionist has against other types of carbs though
  • hiba_84
    hiba_84 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I log everything
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    I do. This is why Weight Watchers failed me.
  • Oxxygi
    Oxxygi Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I count all ! :)
  • Catlady87
    Catlady87 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    It is kind of the whole point of calorie counting to log everything you eat and drink. Just because they aren't starchy doesn't mean they don't have calories. Yes some are very low, but things like sweetcorn and peas have a higher calorie content than say asparagus.

Edit spelling
  • kirili3
    kirili3 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Better to, I guess.

I tend to leave out coffee and tea. But not milk and sugar, if you see what I mean.

That said, veggies can have calories. Not much, but for example there's about 90 calories in a medium stalk of broccoli.
  • HelensBeads
    HelensBeads Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I do, broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, carrots, onions, mushrooms, green beans, lettuce, cucumber, beetroot, peas (starchy), sweetcorn (starchy), beansprouts, bamboo shoots (go in my sweet and sour); all get counted. Not only do they have calories (OK not many but when you have half a plateful a couple of times a day that's a couple of hundred calories) but it's an easy way of keeping track of my 5 a day (minimum).

Edit: And I track my fibre as well, so they all add up there.
  • daynerz
    daynerz Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    You answered your own question.

Yes and Yes.
    What if you didn't add up? The Calories that you didn't think mattered would be 200 calories by the end of the day.
  • brevislux
    brevislux Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's food.
  • wannakimmy
    wannakimmy Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    Yep, this isn't WW, it is MFP and I believe it is designed to log everything in order for it to work properly. So, yes, I log everything.
  • debbiewsharpe
    debbiewsharpe Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    definitely! If it goes in your mouth, log it. You dont want to be fooled by the extra calories.
  • di36
    di36 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I log everything that goes in my belly
    EVERYTHING
    Including drinks
  • BeginningAgainMay14
    BeginningAgainMay14 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I do, not that I'm terribly concerned with the caloric value of the vegetables I eat (I tend to eat a lot of lettuce, celery, chard, and tomatoes, all of which are pretty low calorie) but because it gives me an accurate record of what I ate. That way I can see at a glance if I'm getting enough fruits and vegetables (I aim for 7-9 per day) and I have a good record. On some days I find I'm not hungry enough to eat all my calories, and on some days I want to chew my left arm off, so by keeping an eye on my food diary I can tell what kinds of food are keeping me satisfied. Leaving out the veggies would render that worthless.
  • anasazirose
    anasazirose Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    i log it all. even though the veggies are low in calories, for me i like being able to look back and see what i've eaten on those good days when i come in under my calories, yet i'm not hungry
  • darla1123
    darla1123 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I log everything as well.
  • kethry70
    kethry70 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I log everything except for spices, mustard, and water/tea. Veggies have calories and I try to eat several servings a day so that adds up
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    i log it all. even though the veggies are low in calories, for me i like being able to look back and see what i've eaten on those good days when i come in under my calories, yet i'm not hungry

This. I use the diary as a record of what I ate, so I can see what's changed when I do better vs. when I struggle.

I also like to track how well I do at meeting my micros and macros and, especially, getting a wide variety of vegetables, so logging them allows me to see that and also makes me more likely to get in more vegetables--it makes me happy to log them and I think I eat more when I do (I guess the WW theory is different, but I don't get the purpose of points vs. calories anyway).

Plus I often cook them in a little olive oil (I log spray as .1 or .2 of a TBSP, depending on how long the spray was), and want the diary to make sense.

Finally, I'd prefer not to leave out things that end up contributing calories (even if a relatively small number, although they do add up if you eat a lot) and sugar and fiber and so on. And I find I learn things by seeing what comes up when I log vegetables--I wouldn't have known how the calories in Brussels vs. asparagus vs. broccoli or carrots vs. butternut squash vs. parsnips compared without logging everything (parsnips are pretty high in calories vs. what I would have thought, actually, if only because they are pretty dense, although certainly worth eating).

The one thing I do different with vegetables is that I often eyeball amounts and log them as cups for greens, especially salad greens, since it makes little difference. I weigh everything else, including greens I cook usually, just because it always seems easier to me to weigh than try to estimate volume when the scale is being used for other things anyway. But I don't worry overmuch if water from rinsing them is inflating the weight--it's not going to make much difference.