Still fat or loose skin?

Options
After the past few months I've been steadily losing weight and "toning" up, and it's actually noticeable! On my stomach and thighs at least. They're smaller but my upper arms... are not. My arms completely look like they are too big for my body. When I outstretch them there is a very noticeable "batwing" look going on and I hate it. The thing is, I don't know how to tell the difference between loose skin or whether there's more fat to lose in there than there is other parts of my body. If it's loose skin then... Unfortunately I'll either have to live with it or seek options for surgery but if there's still fat there then... That's a bit of hope, right?
I'd just like advice on how to tell the difference.

Also, if anyone can give me arm focused exercise suggestions to help reduce the wing look (in case it is fat) then I'd very much appreciate it. (I don't have access to a gym until I move for the second time in August so anything I can do at home inexpensively, for now at least, will be very helpful). Thanks~

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    You can't spot reduce....if it is fat it will decide to come off when it chooses to.

As for exercises there are isolation exercises that you can do to work on your arms...

Triceps can be worked by doing close hand pushups, dips on a chair etc. Google tricep images and you will see them.

Biceps can be worked by doing curls etc...google again.

But to be frank isolation exercises aren't great unless combined with compound movements as well...as a woman a good compound movement lifting program would do you a world of good...esp now. You have lost a bit of weight already and quite possibly some muscle with that...if you start now...you could retain what you have left and have that "look" you want when you are done.

I personally started where you started at 205...when I join MFP I was 178...I have lost 50lbs...but in the middle of it I got smart and started lifting and have managed to at least maintain the muscle mass I had left at that point. There is a noticeable difference now too...in my strength...I am at my goal weight of 155 (well less actually now, I am 5 ft 7) and feel great, my arms, shoulders, back, legs, butt and even my stomache is getting that "look" ..not bulk but define muscle when I move...
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I have them too, even though I have pretty muscular arms at this point. Quite sure some of it is loose skin and there's nothing I can do about it. It's not TOO bad but I definitely see it (more on my right than my left too... annoying).
  • Rachifloon
    Rachifloon Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    @Stef, I do know you unfortunately can't spot reduce, and I do still have a ways to go to reach my goal so I'm hoping my arms, along with my calves, are one of those "stubborn areas" that weight loss will come off last.

As for what you mentioned about weights... I definitely plan on doing a programme but as I said I don't, and won't, have access to a gym until around September. I'm moving to a new location in 2 weeks which the gym there has either a minimum 3 month contract or 1 month but with an absurd "joining fee", and then to ANOTHER location end of August which will be permanent and I can stick with those gym contracts for a decent price. (I'm not trying to make excuses, just trying to be practical here.) I've been doing Blogilates which is a mixture of pilates, cardio, and stretches but the videos on the calendar rarely target the arms. Will definitely look into the exercises you suggested to add onto.

Huh, that is quite the similar starting stats. If I carry on doing my pilates/those added arm exercises, will that be enough or at least help until I can start lifting in September? Thank you so much for your input though, always appreciated. c:

@Francl27, I have the same problem as you, 13 inch circumference on my right arm, nearly 12 inches on my left. And yet my right arm I tend to favour and work most. Can't win 'em all, I guess.
  • LynneW1983
    LynneW1983 Posts: 1,161 Member
    Options
    If it's loose skin it will be paper thin. If there is still fat in it it would be thicker. I heard skin shrinks slower than you lose weight. Up to a year after you stop losing weight your skin could still shrink in a bit. I would defo take the weight lifting advice and just try to stay positive.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    there is a lot of stuff you can do without a gym...exercise videos such as 30 day shred or find something you like on fitnessblender.com where most don't require any equipment.

there are bodyweight routines out there as well such as convict conditioning etc.

I am not saying you are making excuses...just work with whaty you have atm...
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    Congrats on loosing weight and your healthy lifestyle. You're young...the loose skin (it that's what it is) should tighten up on it's own.

If it's fat, since you have no access to a gym for a while look at a bodyweight exercise program like Insanity. Surely you must have a friend or relative that bought it and would let you borrow it. If not...I'm sure you could find a bodyweight program online.

Good Luck
  • Anniebotnen
    Anniebotnen Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Push-ups is an excellent compound exercise which works arms, chest and shoulders and is easy to do at home. They also work your core because you have to keep your body in the correct position while doing them. I would google for proper form. If you're not strong enough yet for regular push-ups, you can start on the wall or with your hands on an elevated surface (kitchen counter!) and gradually lower as you get stronger. There are also a number of ways to make them more difficult when push-ups on the floor get too easy. They will firm up your arms quickly - both biceps and triceps!

Good luck!
  • fit_gal
    fit_gal Posts: 167
    Options
    In my Pilates DVD there is something to help with the arms. Put your hands behind your back and wave them up and down really fast. Aim for a hundred of those. Another thing to try, hands behind back again, but crisps cross your hands/arms a hundred times again. This is what I've started doing as I dont like my upper arms either!
  • Rachifloon
    Rachifloon Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Ah, thanks everyone! Will definitely look up those sites and try out some of the exercises mentioned. To the someone who mention loose skin is paper thin, my arms are not, the "dangle" is still fairly thick. Phew~ I'm also using a stretch mark cream so hopefully that'll help with elasticity too.
    I am not saying you are making excuses...just work with whaty you have atm...

Oh, no, I didn't mean to imply I thought you thought I was making excuses, your advice has been invaluable, just want to clarify my situation and intent for others that may be reading and thinking I may be making excuses. If that makes sense. |D