What does Tofu taste like?

Options

Replies

• elsie0o0
    elsie0o0 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    IBy itself it's bland and it's texture is depending on what type of tofu-firm or soft. If you remove some of the liquid it's pretty stable.
  • oddreys
    oddreys Posts: 6
    Options
    Being an Asian it is often I get to eat tofus so they taste like nothing but cupboard. Well it is really bland in taste but if you cook it well it can turn out tasty. Depending on the tofu you get at your local grocery store, the taste differs.
  • rivka_m
    rivka_m Posts: 1,007 Member
    Options
    You absolutely have to flavor it, don't try eating it plain. It's too bland.

My favorite is tofu scramble. Nice and easy, use whatever veggies you have. You can leave out nutritional yeast if you don't have any, but it really makes the dish so much better.

http://www.theppk.com/2008/10/scrambled-tofu/
  • IzzyBooNZ1
    IzzyBooNZ1 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    I am wanting to try tofu and have never purchased it . How do I choose what one to buy? How do I know what makes one brand of tofu bettter than the other, or are they pretty much the same - aside from what I have read here about some being firmer than others?
  • JoeyFrappuccino
    JoeyFrappuccino Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I would disagree with tofu being flavorless, the taste is very subtle but it is there, kind of like white rice. Of course it's better cooked but I used to eat it straight and it's not bad if you don't mind the texture. I often freeze it before cooking with it though, it gives it a rougher sort of texture that's hard to describe but feels more natural. It's not as moist and dense as it is otherwise and it absorbs flavor much better, although it might not be as versatile as it would be fresh. As for taste, though, I never marinate it or season it or anything, I just pan fry it (tofu is fatty enough to not need oil) and add it to whatever dish I'm making. The taste goes well with many foods without the need for additional seasonings, so you don't need to be a great cook to use it.
  • whovian67
    whovian67 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Whatever you cook it with....mine tastes like garlic, ginger, & liquid aminos (soy flavor) & chilies....Thai food rocks !
  • CMB1979
    CMB1979 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    You can also blend it with chocolate or fruit to make a protein shake or do the same and freeze it in a pie crust.
  • liznotyet
    liznotyet Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    best vegan chocolate pie: google Alton Brown's recipe - basically a container of soft tofu drained, blended with melted chocolate chips and poured into a graham cracker crust. great on ramp to tofu cooking. Cubed firm tofu goes great into curries, stews and soups. It is made with soy and some bodies get gas and bloat from it, so go slow.
  • SomethingorWhat
    Options
    I'm wondering if I Tofu can be used as a substitute for hard cheese. Would it melt over my sauteed veggies and taste like cheese?
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    No, tofu will not melt over your veggies or taste like cheese.
    There are dairy-free soy-based cheeses available but I haven't really tried them. I believe Daiya is a brand people like.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    What does it taste like? Take an old bike tire, place it under a chicken coop for 3 days in the hot, humid summer. Pull tire out, cut it up, and add it to anything. . . .it really is like a penniless friend it will just sponge off what is available from the other foods.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Like sadness
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    I've never had it and I'm nervous to try it since I'm trying to phase out meat because it makes my stomach angry at me.
    What does it taste like?
    And what is the texture like? If it mushy like an egg or more firm like chicken? Also are some brands better then others?

Tell me all about tofu!

It's about the prep. First few times you make it, probably won't be good.
  • shmerek
    shmerek Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    I freaking love tofu! I have it with roast veggies, or in a stir fry or sometimes I just fry it up and eat it on its own. The flavour is totally dependent on the seasoning and you can season it with whatever floats your boat. I think it is delicious fried in a bit of oil with pepper and salt but that is just me.
  • WolnaDusza
    WolnaDusza Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Tofu tastes....like a sock puppet feels.
  • aedreana
    aedreana Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Deep-fried tofu is one of my favorite foods. I have not had it in years because I no longer live near a vegan Chinese restaurant. I don't know how to cook it and don't think it would be worth the trouble to prepare but if you are ever in Montgomery County, Maryland try the Vegetable Garden on Rockville Pike in Kensington. Deep-fried tofu is the very best substitute for meat. Careful though-- Szechuan tofu contains pork! If you know how to cook, which I don't, you can fix everything from vegan fake-egg-salad to vegan chocolate mousse with tofu. Many store-bought vegan products are made from tofu, such as Nayonaise and Tofutti-fake-ice-cream. Tofutti also manufactures vegan-fake-cheese.
  • condoleezachiapet
    Options
    It has the consistency of custard and has a subtle nutty taste. Being Asian, it goes without saying that tofu is one of my household staples. It's super filling, incredibly versatile, and can be used for both savory and sweet profiles. Since other people have already given you savory tips, I highly recommend a traditional Asian dessert called Dou Hua (literal translation: tofu flower). But you can call it tofu pudding.

tumblr_inline_n0x8dq652J1qa46p0.jpg

Dou Hua is essentially silken tofu floating in a chilled, sweet soup that's almond or ginger-based. Just like frozen yogurt, you can flourish it with infinite toppings — nuts, fruits, spices. Back in Taiwan, I would eat it topped with red beans, tapioca, peanuts, and jellies. In Indonesia, they put coconut milk. Experiment! Tofu is amazing.
  • shmerek
    shmerek Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    ^^ that looks yummy as hell
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    It has the consistency of custard and has a subtle nutty taste. Being Asian, it goes without saying that tofu is one of my household staples. It's super filling, incredibly versatile, and can be used for both savory and sweet profiles. Since other people have already given you savory tips, I highly recommend a traditional Asian dessert called Dou Hua (literal translation: tofu flower). But you can call it tofu pudding.

tumblr_inline_n0x8dq652J1qa46p0.jpg

Dou Hua is essentially silken tofu floating in a chilled, sweet soup that's almond or ginger-based. Just like frozen yogurt, you can flourish it with infinite toppings — nuts, fruits, spices. Back in Taiwan, I would eat it topped with red beans, tapioca, peanuts, and jellies. In Indonesia, they put coconut milk. Experiment! Tofu is amazing.

^ This looks delicious. The complete lack of good tofu in most of the U.S. and it's association with hippies has given it a bad reputation here. It's a shame that I can't find good tofu here, but I'm seriously missing the delicious varieties I regularly found in Japan and HK.
  • Ronvee
    Ronvee Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Since I usually have a calorie deficit and am trying to maintain my weight, I mix 1 serving of tofu and 2 tbs. of peanut butter and it tastes pretty good.