early bird workout freaks.....

Options
2»

Replies

• edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    We workout every morning at 5am. We drink a pre-workout mix called Fuzion AKG by Nutrishop. This morning i was feeling hungry, which wasn't normal. I usually don't eat before the workout. I simply grabbed a banana and ate half of it before the workout and the rest afterwards.
  • musclebuilder
    musclebuilder Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    ok, gonna start working out in the early am before my kiddies wake up.....for those who do the same.....what do you eat!?!?! food usually has to sit for 45min before intense workouts....but man that seems like a lot of time to kill....i mean i would be sleeping if i had it my way, lol.....what do you eat? what time you get up? isnt working out on empty tummies bad for you? .....and something i've always wondered....if you do everything first thing in the morning, is it best since you have the rest of the day to eat eat eat?? lol....does it matter what time you work out?

I get up at 4:30am, make a bowl of oatmeal with a serving of BCAA, eat it down. Reset my alarm and go back to sleep for an hour. Get up, down my pre WO drink and go workout. I don't think fasted state training is the way to go especially if building muscle is your goal/maintaining muscle mass or performing at high intensity for a prolonged period..The liver cannot store sufficient glycogen to maintain blood glucose levels until morning when the nutrients become available from breakfast..So early in the morning as the potential for glycogenolysis falls, the liver increases the rate of gluconeogenesis/which is proteins being broken down to amino acids which are taken up by the liver for the biosynthesis of glucose..You combine that with the catabolic hormones like cortisol accelerating the catabolism of muscle proteins. So I just don't understand WO in a fasted state. It is very catabolic and counter productive.
  • luvz2bfitMOM
    Options

I get up at 4:30am, make a bowl of oatmeal with a serving of BCAA, eat it down. Reset my alarm and go back to sleep for an hour. Get up, down my pre WO drink and go workout. I don't think fasted state training is the way to go especially if building muscle is your goal/maintaining muscle mass or performing at high intensity for a prolonged period..The liver cannot store sufficient glycogen to maintain blood glucose levels until morning when the nutrients become available from breakfast..So early in the morning as the potential for glycogenolysis falls, the liver increases the rate of gluconeogenesis/which is proteins being broken down to amino acids which are taken up by the liver for the biosynthesis of glucose..You combine that with the catabolic hormones like cortisol accelerating the catabolism of muscle proteins. So I just don't understand WO in a fasted state. It is very catabolic and counter productive.

wow that is very deep. looks like you know your stuff....but thats for body buliding right? what about just trying to tone up and loose weight?
  • sbilyeu75
    sbilyeu75 Posts: 567 Member
    Options

wow that is very deep. looks like you know your stuff....but thats for body buliding right? what about just trying to tone up and loose weight?

One of the best things you can do for yourself is to lift heavy (like a man). You don't want to end up as skinny fat. Pick up a book call New Rules of Lifting for Women.
  • luvz2bfitMOM
    Options
    [/quote]

One of the best things you can do for yourself is to lift heavy (like a man). You don't want to end up as skinny fat. Pick up a book call New Rules of Lifting for Women.
    [/quote]

oh i know! i am doing p90x currently right now mixed in with insanity. and my firmness and muscles are all due to my p90x. i love weight lifting....its atually proven to loose weight faster....40% of weight loss is weight training, only 10% is cardio and 50% nutrition. at least thats what ive heart...and personal trainers all say the same thihg "if you want to loose weight i highly suggest you had some resistance/weight training in your routine"....i always heard that when they would give tours of the gym to new comers....lol.
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    I get up at: 4:45 AM
    I eat: nothing
    I drink: 4-8 oz of water
    Current routine: P90X, sometimes Insanity swapped in for cardio
  • musclebuilder
    musclebuilder Posts: 324 Member
    Options

No, that is for anybody who trains with intensity. If you are training with intensity and the power output is increased your body relies on carbohydrates mainly as the fuel source. As the power out put increases blood free fatty acid levels decline, limiting their availability as a fuel source.Thus depending on carbohydrate for energy supplies..Since you are in a fasted state you have exhausted your glycogen supply. So to provide the fuel required for your WO and to maintain blood glucose levels the body will rely on alternative means to accomplish this. And that alternative means is going to be via gluconeogenesis.. Not to mention it requires significant energy input for your body to use protein as energy. So if you are training hard it would be counter productive to not consume some healthy carbohydrates pre WO. Regardless if your goals are fat loss/muscle growth ect..
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Can a car run with an empty tank of gas? No. and Neither will you. It's best to eat BEFORE you workout. Your body needs fuel to function as well as perform intense workouts. Another girl just asked this and a guy that works out or at a gym was saying he seen some lady workout before she ate and she ended up fainting and breaking her jaw as well as a few teeth. Not trying to be rude .. Just tell it how it is. Use common sense everyone .. we don't need any injuries :-)

How do you know this happened to her because lack of food? she could have a pre-existing condition...how do you know? I've seen people, including myself get better results from not eating before a morning workout. It's not a bad thing to do. And FYI, my body isn't a car, you can't compare the two, we have fat reserves our body can draw from, when a tank is empty it's got nothing to draw from. If you want to debate the topic, have some actual data to back you up, and not "welll..a friend of a friend, saw someone who knocked her teeth out cause ..well...I think she didn't eat before she worked out. For some people it works, for others it doesn't your body will let you know.

Aerobically, the body can only work out at a maximum of about 60% of VO2 max if it is relying solely on fat as a fuel substrate. That's just a fact of beta oxidation. So, someone who is able to perform a hard workout, even in a "fasted" state, is still using the usual amount of carbs/glycogen. Just because you are "fasted" does not mean that your glycogen stores are depleted. Despite the cliches thrown about the subject, the vast majority of exercisers will not come close to using up their stored glycogen.

The body doesn't really care what you "want" to do or not. It is going to choose a fuel substrate mix based on the intensity demands of the exercise. High intensity = higher percentage of fuel from glucose/glycogen.

And the acute event of substrate utilization during a workout has little if any long-term effect on weight loss. A number of studies have shown that, in the 24 hour period following a workout, fat oxidation occurs inversely compared to the rate of fat oxidation during the workout--e.g. if you burn more fat during the workout, you will burn less during the post-workout period and if you burn less fat during a high-intensity workout, you will burn more during he post-exercise period--so it all evens out over time.

Pre and post-workout feedings should be designed to optimize workout performance and enhance recovery. No other reason. Research supports the preference of pre-workout feeding in general, however, there is enough variability among individuals that I would never criticize anyone's individual choice.
  • krystallynne
    Options
    i normally get up at 4am and eat egg whites with broccoli and spinach with 2 full glasses of water. Then Ill go walk for 45 mins. I dont do my insanity until 9 or 11 in the morning.
  • rolandhulme
    rolandhulme Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    i workout everyday at 5 am on an empty stomach.. get up roll out of bed a cup of black coffee with splenda speeds things up as well your body starts burning straight fat...... :) after eat some egg whites on a fiber tortilla with cheese n salsa u will be burning all DAY!

I'm the same way. I roll out of bed at 5am and drink a quart of water with Jack3D in it, then hit the gym. That gets the metabolism working and the first thing that gets burned is going to be fat, because there's no 'fuel in the tank.' Then I'll drink a shake when I get back from the gym.
  • Amy_B
    Amy_B Posts: 2,323 Member
    Options
    I have been known to get up at 4am to exercise. I don't eat beforehand either. I don't have time honestly.
  • superwmn
    superwmn Posts: 936
    Options
    I eat after a morning workout.

GOOD LUCK!

Charmagne
  • telcochik
    telcochik Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    I get up at 4:30am every day to do Turbo Fire and then get ready for the work day. I don't eat beforehand but I do drink 1.5L of water before and during my workout.

Sharon
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
  • Randy63
    Options
    I get up at 4:15 to go to Bootcamp workouts. I wait until right after I finish then I consume a protein drink and a banana to restore protein and carbs. I have determined I will not get up any earlier to allow for food to digest.
  • dchin25
    dchin25 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I usually up by 5:30 am for a long run. All I have is a glass of water and off I go. Exercising on an empty stomach does not hurt.
  • Sweedie77
    Sweedie77 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I drink a glass of water and eat a couple of spoonfuls of the yogurt I plan on eating for breakfast. Just a little something to get my metabolism started. Good Luck :smile:
  • runningneo122
    runningneo122 Posts: 6,962 Member
    Options
    Can a car run with an empty tank of gas? No. and Neither will you. It's best to eat BEFORE you workout. Your body needs fuel to function as well as perform intense workouts. Another girl just asked this and a guy that works out or at a gym was saying he seen some lady workout before she ate and she ended up fainting and breaking her jaw as well as a few teeth. Not trying to be rude .. Just tell it how it is. Use common sense everyone .. we don't need any injuries :-)

How do you know this happened to her because lack of food? she could have a pre-existing condition...how do you know? I've seen people, including myself get better results from not eating before a morning workout. It's not a bad thing to do. And FYI, my body isn't a car, you can't compare the two, we have fat reserves our body can draw from, when a tank is empty it's got nothing to draw from. If you want to debate the topic, have some actual data to back you up, and not "welll..a friend of a friend, saw someone who knocked her teeth out cause ..well...I think she didn't eat before she worked out. For some people it works, for others it doesn't your body will let you know.

Aerobically, the body can only work out at a maximum of about 60% of VO2 max if it is relying solely on fat as a fuel substrate. That's just a fact of beta oxidation. So, someone who is able to perform a hard workout, even in a "fasted" state, is still using the usual amount of carbs/glycogen. Just because you are "fasted" does not mean that your glycogen stores are depleted. Despite the cliches thrown about the subject, the vast majority of exercisers will not come close to using up their stored glycogen.

The body doesn't really care what you "want" to do or not. It is going to choose a fuel substrate mix based on the intensity demands of the exercise. High intensity = higher percentage of fuel from glucose/glycogen.

And the acute event of substrate utilization during a workout has little if any long-term effect on weight loss. A number of studies have shown that, in the 24 hour period following a workout, fat oxidation occurs inversely compared to the rate of fat oxidation during the workout--e.g. if you burn more fat during the workout, you will burn less during the post-workout period and if you burn less fat during a high-intensity workout, you will burn more during he post-exercise period--so it all evens out over time.

Pre and post-workout feedings should be designed to optimize workout performance and enhance recovery. No other reason. Research supports the preference of pre-workout feeding in general, however, there is enough variability among individuals that I would never criticize anyone's individual choice.

Ditto to the personal choice. I get up at 5AM, drink a 12 oz. cup of hot tea, wait 20 - 30 minutes for absorption and run my miles. When I run for 40 minutes+ every day and eat ALL my exercise cals I lose from 2 -3 pounds per week. Last year when I started running and worked up to every day, I hadn't even read a book about weightloss. I started running this early just to avoid the traffic in my neighborhood and I lost 16 pounds in 6 weeks. Not knowing any better I overdid my mileage build up and the resulting injury sidelined me for a while. I learned what I did wrong and got back to it and maintained only. Difference? I was running any time of the day that I could spare b/c I had bought a T/M. When I read about "fasted cardio" in Tom Venuto's book: Burn The Fat, Feed The Muscle, I switched to running in the morning. I joined MFP on 1/3/11 and you can see my weight loss already in my siggy down below. Check my diary to see what my calorie numbers are.
  • corderoinkuna
    Options
    Wow lots of amazing ideas... I am going to do it.... wake up at 4:45 to work out by 5, who else is on board with me? I will commit to doing it all this week!
  • BoresEasily
    Options

Dammit Az you beat me to it. That's what I was going to say word for word! Alright in all honesty, great and informative post. I highly enjoy watching you own people through the use of scientific research.