Am I losing too quickly?

Options
I started using MFP on May 17 of this year. The first week, I just focused on counting calories to get the feel for it. The second week, I started exercising everyday for about an hour (mostly stretching, dance workout videos on Youtube, and a little bit of strength training).
I've been eating at (sometimes above) the calorie target MFP gave me, which is 1670. I'm eating cleaner than I used to, but still eat a bunch of carbs and sugar (oh the sugar).
When I weighed myself this morning, however, found that I lost 8 pounds??
Is that possible/healthy? How much of it is actual fat vs. water vs. possible muscle?

ETA: Aside from the exercise, I am pretty sedentary, and set my activity level as such.

Replies

• Nikoruo
    Nikoruo Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    yeah that's pretty healthy I'd say. That's about 2.6lbs a week.
    You are Exercising, eating a nice amount of around 1670 of mostly healthy foods. Then yeah doing good. Sounds like your burning fat down :)
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,067 Member
    Options
    first off, congrats on the loss and deciding to change your eating habits for the better.

i wouldnt worry about this rapid loss unless it continues. for the first couple of weeks of changing your eating habits a bit of water weight is gonna come off. my first couple of weeks resulted in about 15 lbs, its not uncommon
  • brisingr86
    brisingr86 Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    First, not an expert; I've just read a fair number of these kinds of posts. I'd guess a lot of it's water. Part of eating cleaner may have dropped your sodium intake and let go of a lot of water. How tall are you? Your weight loss tends to be faster when you start and may slow as you get closer to a healthy weight. Your calories seem reasonable and doesn't sound like you're overdoing the workouts. Do you find yourself hungry a lot? If not, then you're probably ok. Are you eating back exercise calories (or at least a portion of them)? If you feel ok (you're not feeling like you're weak from eating too little, or irritable because you're always hungry, etc.), then I'd stick with it and see where it goes. Keep it up a few more weeks and see if the slope starts to shallow out to 1-2 lbs a week. You may also lose a lot right away, then kind of stay the same for a few weeks, then drop like 4 lbs in a week (fits and spurts). Good luck and congrats on your great start!

Edit: I don't worry too much about sugar, but look at the sources. If a lot of it's from fruits, probably ok. If it's from a lot of soft drinks, candy, etc., then you probably want to pay more attention to getting those numbers down.
  • conqueringsquidlette
    conqueringsquidlette Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I'm down about that much since the 23rd of May. The first four pounds of that was in the first couple days..... it was just a big water weight drop for me. Probably similar for you.
  • segovm
    segovm Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    The only real trap is that as others have mentioned part of the loss is gonna be water weight as your body adjusts to new diet and exercise so that may come back or may drop even lower and then come back. The key is to think big picture and appreciate that eating at a deficit and exercising will drop the fat but the scale IS NOT an effective way of measuring fat.

Most people would suggest adding a tape measure to the progress chart so if the scale stalls you can still see progress as your body reshapes itself.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    I started using MFP on May 17 of this year. The first week, I just focused on counting calories to get the feel for it. The second week, I started exercising everyday for about an hour (mostly stretching, dance workout videos on Youtube, and a little bit of strength training).
    I've been eating at (sometimes above) the calorie target MFP gave me, which is 1670. I'm eating cleaner than I used to, but still eat a bunch of carbs and sugar (oh the sugar).
    Is that possible/healthy? How much of it is actual fat vs. water vs. possible muscle?

ETA: Aside from the exercise, I am pretty sedentary, and set my activity level as such.

Congrats! As long as you're consuming sufficient calories so that your deficit isn't dangerous, then no need to worry.

One thing you might think about, however, is the part in bold. There's absolutely nothing wrong with carbs or sugar as long as they're eaten in reasonable portions, just like protein and fat. Demonizing a food group is just going to set you up to have an unhealthy relationship with food.

Your goal should be to change your eating habits for life, and part of that is to develop the ability, even 5 or 10 years from now, to casually, without struggling, be able to have a single portion of dessert and it not set you off on some sort of binge.

Part of that is learning what a portion looks and feels like, and part is making peace with the fact that you can have one square of chocolate and put the rest back for tomorrow, and it will be there, and you get to enjoy it all over again.
  • caitconquersweight
    caitconquersweight Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Weight tends to come off very quickly in the beginning. It *should* slow down to a more consistent rate as you continue. If it doesn't, and you continue losing so quickly, see a doctor. But give it a couple months to see how your body does.
  • mactaffy84
    mactaffy84 Posts: 398 Member
    Options

Congrats! As long as you're consuming sufficient calories so that your deficit isn't dangerous, then no need to worry.

One thing you might think about, however, is the part in bold. There's absolutely nothing wrong with carbs or sugar as long as they're eaten in reasonable portions, just like protein and fat. Demonizing a food group is just going to set you up to have an unhealthy relationship with food.

Your goal should be to change your eating habits for life, and part of that is to develop the ability, even 5 or 10 years from now, to casually, without struggling, be able to have a single portion of dessert and it not set you off on some sort of binge.

Part of that is learning what a portion looks and feels like, and part is making peace with the fact that you can have one square of chocolate and put the rest back for tomorrow, and it will be there, and you get to enjoy it all over again.

Why is this always brought up? The OP didn't say he had any problem eating "clean". Heck, with the way that term is thrown about, we don't know what the OP really meant. But if they had no problem with wanting to eat whatever they believe "clean" to be, why is this an issue? Maybe they want to eat healthfully and, sorry, but no one can convince me that eating processed foods and tons of sugar is healthy. Do they have to be avoided at all costs? No, not in my opinion. But if someone doesn't want to eat them, why encourage them to do so? I just don't get it!

OP, I don't think you are losing weight too fast. also don't think it will keep at this level. You're doing fine!
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    When people eat "clean" it typically means that they have switched from eating a lot of processed foods (which are high in sodium) to whole foods such as chicken breast and broccoli (which are not high in sodium). What that means is that they go from a high sodium intake to a low sodium intake. Considering that you can retain something like 2 pounds of water for every 400mg of sodium it is pretty easy to sluff of 5 pounds of water weight by simply lowering your regular sodium intake. If you take that into account plus the fact that you have been dieting now for 3 weeks yeah it is possible that you lost 8 pounds.

Now if you continue to lose something like 2.5 pounds a week then that would be rather concerning. Depends how overweight you are as well of course. If you have 100 pounds to lose then even that might be okay, but if you have 25 pounds to lose then yeah that would be to fast.

If you are getting 1670 calories and above though I'm guessing you aren't starving yourself though so probably fine. Hard to say without knowing your stats though.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    I love this, and it's been so true for me.

A doctor once old me I needed to lose weight and I said something like, "I know. I need to stop eating those good burritos."

He reply" "It's not about not having the burrito, but eating half and putting the rest away for another day."
  • ruthejp13
    ruthejp13 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Congrats! It sounds like you are doing great. It does depend on how much you have to lose. Also, don't expect it to stay this easy. Your body is rewarding you for eating better. Keep up the good work and make sure you get enough protein so that you don't lose muscle.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options

Why is this always brought up? The OP didn't say he had any problem eating "clean". Heck, with the way that term is thrown about, we don't know what the OP really meant. But if they had no problem with wanting to eat whatever they believe "clean" to be, why is this an issue? Maybe they want to eat healthfully and, sorry, but no one can convince me that eating processed foods and tons of sugar is healthy. Do they have to be avoided at all costs? No, not in my opinion. But if someone doesn't want to eat them, why encourage them to do so? I just don't get it!

OP, I don't think you are losing weight too fast. also don't think it will keep at this level. You're doing fine!

I'm not sure why you're addressing something about eating "clean" when what I posted about was vilifying carbs and sugar? Perhaps you misunderstood?
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options

You sound a bit sensitive with the term "clean eating", while Snuggle was not talking about that at all. People tend to think carbs and sugar are the problem to weight gain and cut them out or down, when the real problem is too much overall food.

OP, weigh usually drops quickly at first and then tapers off to a slower pace. Just keep up the hard work, don't cut out any foods you love, and eat in moderation and within your calorie goal and you will do just fine.
  • Natalie1825
    Natalie1825 Posts: 23 Member
    Options

Thanks for the advice, but I wasn't trying to demonize carbs or sugar or any food group. Sorry if it came across that way. What I meant to say is that while trying to practice moderation of those groups, I still find myself going over my allotted amount for the day, especially for sugar. I know that it's possible to eat those things and still lose weight (as long as it's at a deficit), but I also know that portioning is extremely important for health in general.
    Besides, I could never completely cut out carbs OR sugar. I love them both too much. =p
    And by "eating cleaner", I simply mean that I've been eating more healthful foods like fruits, vegetables and lean meats. I'm far from being a "completely" clean eater though.

Thank you so much for the great advice everyone! I know that quick weight loss can be dangerous, so that's why I was bit a worried about these 8 pounds. But all of your advice has been very helpful and comforting. :bigsmile: