Losing 60 or more lbs?

Options
Is anyone trying to lose 60+lbs. I have already made some wonderful friends, but a lot of them are already so far in their journey.

I'm already finding myself losing motivation and "bored" eating. 60 is such a large number!! Not succeeding is not an option this time!

Any advice is greatly appreciated. I try not to look at 60 as a whole, but trying to give my self "small" goals. That only works for so long....

Feel free to add me or let me know how you kept yourself motivation.

Replies

• HappilySingle
    HappilySingle Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I would like to loose about 70-75 pounds. Last year I lost almost 50 but have gained about 35 back.

My favorite advice here was "break it down to small goals". Instead of 60 pounds set your goal to 10-15 pounds. Once you reach that goal set a new goal.

I also find that having healthy snacks ready to eat, such as cottage cheese and cut fruit,make it easier than searching for something to eat

Good luck!!
  • courtney123180
    courtney123180 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    i am aiming to lose about 75 give or take. ill reevaluate when i get to 125 if i am happy there. add me if y'all like :)
  • minnesoootan
    Options
    I second the suggestion of setting mini-goals along the way - losing 100 pounds always tripped me up because of how daunting that number is, but losing 15 pounds over and over? That's much easier to feel like you're actually progressing. :) You might find it useful to see it as six-pound chunks. This way, every time you lose six pounds you can see that you're 10% of the way there!

I also like to take things one day at a time - I used to binge a lot, so when I feel the urge to do so, I just tell myself to wait until tomorrow. Usually by then the feeling has passed.

Best of luck!
  • JenR_
    JenR_ Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I've lost 20lbs so far, but have about 50lbs more to go. Some days it definitely seems like a too huge number! But I'm trying to focus on losing the next 20lbs vs concentrating on the 50lbs I have left. Feel free to add me :) Doing this with friends, definitely a lot better!
  • Lekha_101
    Lekha_101 Posts: 2
    Options
    Hi there! I'm new here at MFP. I have to lose about 66 lbs myself...of which I've only lost around 4.
    I'm pretty much in the same boat as you are...I try not to think of the whole scenario here...and I'm trying to break the entire goal up into smaller goals, coz otherwise I'll be so overwhelmed I'll probably end up feeling extremely depressed.
    I've started the Jillian Michaels workout videos...I think they're AWESOME!!! Also I'm having somewhat healthier snacks these days...like a slice of cheese, a few almonds (not too much of these, though)...and I'be completely stopped having soda.
    Have faith in yourself....you'll make it!
  • hyg99
    hyg99 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    63 to lose in total, lost 46 so far (since 1/1/14)

Agree, better broken mentally to milestones, obvious 1/2 and stones, going below a stone, %(5, 10, 15 etc) and zeros 10 lb, 20 lb etc,

Also have plenty of targets to hit, I wanted 2 stone by holiday in April (managed 2 stone 4), current goal 4 stone by nieces wedding in August.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    It's one day at a time. I've never really set myself goals. You will never be motivated all of the time that is just impossible. Motivation is just short term. The thing is to put in place things that turn into habits so that you don't think about. For example no matter how bad the day gets occurs to me not to weigh or log my food because that's just what I do. Be honest with yourself and remember you don't have to suffer or starve to lose weight. Consistency is the key and if you have one bad day don't beat yourself up just move on

Good luck
  • missjones513
    missjones513 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    My goal is to lose 70 pounds. I try to set smaller goals. I want to get to 17 pounds lost by the end of June and at least be at 35 pounds lost by my birthday in November.

I also set a couple weekly goals: so many workouts a week and only eat out like 2 times a week. I also focus on trying to hit my calorie goal each day
  • Kelli110293
    Kelli110293 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Right now my longterm goal is to lose around 100 lbs., but I've broken that up into short term goals of around 10-20 lbs. each. :)
    I stay motivated by thinking of how much better I will feel when the weight is off and how much more self confidence I will have.
    I also don't deprive myself of any food. If I'm craving pizza, I will have a slice of pizza if it's within my calorie limit. Personally, when I take away foods from myself is when I start to teeter from my diet.

Feel free to add me if you would like. :)
  • joansjourney
    joansjourney Posts: 110
    Options
    You know I started this journey only thinking of short term goals and after reading this made me calculate the total amount I need to lose *sigh* 64 lbs. Add me if you like, I log everyday!
  • Haili73
    Haili73 Posts: 8
    Options
    I'm working on losing 80 pounds. That's a huge number and makes me depressed and discouraged just thinking about it. Instead of thinking about how many pounds I have to lose, I think about the number of pounds I have lost so far. 10 pounds seems like just a tiny dent in my overall goal, but I'm still 10 pounds lighter than before and 10 pounds closer to my ultimate goal.
    I've also set up a little rewards system for myself. For every ten pounds lost, I'm buying myself something fun, like a book or a shirt or hair bows or something (non-food related). It makes me look forward to each little milestone.
    Take it one day at a time, and try to log every day. I make it a game to see how long I can get a streak of days logged to be.
  • runningagainstmyself
    runningagainstmyself Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    I just hit 60, but I have 30-ish more to go. Am I still eligible? :)
  • GaiaGirl1992
    GaiaGirl1992 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Yep I know where you're coming from. 80+ ot lose here
  • roxywho42
    roxywho42 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I want to lose about 65 more pounds.
  • 3ActingOut
    Options
    60+ to lose! I like to see people around the stage I am at too! It helps to compare myself to their progress and keep me motivated!