Throwing away my crutch....

Options
Recently it hit me, I used food as my crutch. "Let's have a piece of chocolate" when I was mad, or sad. "Let's have a piece of pie" when I was angry or upset. "Let's eat a candy bar" when felt stressed.

My relationship with food became unhealthy a few years ago. I gained weight and I let it happen; it seemed that I loved food more than I loved myself! It's like food had magical powers, it could cure anything!

I am not on a diet...I am on a lifestyle change.

A friend of mine made me read the book "Women, Food and GOD" and even though I didn't want to read it (not really my thing) I started it. Some things hit home. I started to question my relationship with food and it made me think about myself. I never concentrated on my food or eating and I hardly thought about what I needed. I was often distracted during my meals, by TV and even by the Computer when I was alone. I ate too fast and without thinking. I ate when I wasn't hungry, I opened the fridge without thinking!

A lot has changed over the last 40 days. Now, even on a normal weekday I set the table nice and light some candles...soft music in the back (no TV) and the good China is getting used more often. Even my hubby loves it, first he looked at me funny like "Oh heck what anniversary did I forget" and I explained to him why I am doing it. He smiled and liked it.

Now we focused on Dinner, on each other and we eat slower. We enjoy the meal and every bite and we both eat less. I stop when I feel full and don't continue eating because the TV distracted me!
I am going to love this! I am going to find my healthy relationship with food....because I love me more!
I quit smoking! I can do anything...I have superpowers :-)
Yeah 12 pounds are history! I threw my crutch away!

Although, I have the best friends here on MFP, my friends here make a lot of difference. An amazing group of people they are :-)

Replies

• Jelaan
    Jelaan Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Congratulations. Sounds like you are now feeding your soul as well as your body :)
  • tangoterry
    tangoterry Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I can SO relate as I'm sure many can who are kicking their crutches to the curb and revamping their eating habits and lifestyles. Instead of fuel for my body, like you, food became fuel for my stress level way too often. You have made sharing a meal what it should be, a time for nourishment with no distractions while making it a special time with your family. Love it! :smile: