I need help finding a sports bra!

Options
Hey everyone, this is embarrassing but I am really struggling finding a sports bra.

I really want to start running again, something I have never been able to do without pain.

I've tried ordering the really expensive ones from nordstrom and amazon and am not having any luck with fit.... even the largest sizes are too small.

This is seriously mortifying to ask, but I need help. I want to eventually get a reduction, but I want to get to a healthy weight before that happens. I have a hormone thing going on too (working on that), so eliminating at least one roadblock would help tremendously.

My band size right now is 39 inches, above and below bust, but I wear a 38 In Chantelle. (I was fitted in a 38H in that band about six months ago. The smallest I ever was at a healthy weight was 36E, but I managed to run at that size decently).

My bust measurement is 51 inches. A 12' difference.

I can't find a sports bra that fits right with the support I need to run. I've tried ordering in what should be my size and none of them fit. It's very discouraging, especially as there's a long wait for shipping and returning each time.

Can anyone offer some insight? There has to be someone else who has gone through this?

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• LiftAndBalance
    LiftAndBalance Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    First some general stuff on bra fitting: When you buy a bra, you should only be able to close it on the widest hook and be able to fit two fingers between your spine and the band when you pull it away but not more. Try it with the cups on your back first to find out the right band size and then see which cup size you need. I wear a bigger band in my sports bra than in regular bras since the band is much tighter but that depends on the brand. Also keep in mind that sports bras are supposed to be really snug so you might also need a smaller cup size. I have the Shock Absorber 4490 and love it. It really presses the breasts into the chest so keeps everything tight but is still really comfortable.
  • Andalucian
    Options
    I feel your pain - I'm a 32H in most brands, and I ride horses competitively, so finding something that fits well and supports enough to stop the bounce has been a huge struggle.

The only success I've had has been with Enell. They aren't pretty, and they aren't cheap, but they get the job done. I can't fit in a standard Enell size (when I find one that fits my bust measurement, it's too big in the rib area), but there's a seller on eBay that sells irregulars, so I've been able to buy them in my bust size with smaller rib measurements than the standard. Added bonus - they're about half the retail price. I'm noticing they do have one up now in Enell's size 5 with a smaller rib band (1" under normal). That puts the bust measurement at 47-51" and the rib measurement at 38-41", which may work for you. I find I have an easier time with Enell than with other sports bras because of the styling - since there's so much coverage on the front and back and the bra isn't designed with cups, exactly, I don't have the problem of "spillovers" and it doesn't shift around. I will say, they are hotter than other sports bras, but I work outside in Texas summers and have survived. ;)

Best of luck! I know it isn't easy. I'm hoping a reduction is in my future, too!
  • glreim21
    glreim21 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I second the Shock Absorber recommendation. They go up to H cup. They do have a specific one for running, but I don't wear that one because it is way to awkward to get into. I like the maximum support one.
  • kinkyslinky16
    kinkyslinky16 Posts: 1,470 Member
    Options
    The Enell sports bra is AWESOME!! It comes in a wide variety of sizes and compresses those suckers down. There is no jiggly-ness going on when I run.
  • kwb87
    kwb87 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Another fan of shock absorber here! I'm a 34E (so admittedly not as much of an issue as a H cup but still need good support) and have tried a few different ones of theres. I'm not sure I can fit 2 fingers under mine, it's pretty tight. Maybe I should even be going for a 36 but to be honest I feel confident in it because there is really minimal movement while I run. Hope that helps.
  • LessHeavyVeggie
    LessHeavyVeggie Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I'm a 38G so I feel your pain. I found all the ones in sports shops/brands weren't cut out for bigger boobs so I would recommend going to a lingerie shop instead (I got mine from M&S - UK). Not only will lingerie brands/shops carry the correct size, but they will be made primarily for support by people who know boobs, rather than the more sporty ones which seem to be mainly made for appearance by clothing designers. I found I was a slightly different size in sports bras than normal ones so try a few on and see what works for you (jumping up and down in the changing room like I did: optional!)

Good luck in your quest!
  • conqueringsquidlette
    conqueringsquidlette Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I just bought a Panache underwire sports bra and I think they run into the Hs..... I haven't tested it out yet myself, but it's a very well reviewed bra.
  • NatalieSkywalker
    NatalieSkywalker Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I used to wear department store sports bras and they were okay for walking on the treadmill and strength training but when I started playing badminton and running I changed to the Nike Pro sports bras. A bit pricey but worth every cent. I wear a size Medium in medium support and I am 170lbs and 38C regular bra so maybe a L or XL in firm support would work for you?
  • PeanutButterLover1984
    PeanutButterLover1984 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I am not sure whether you are in the UK or not but there is a shop called debenhams (just been on their website and they sell to US too as I think you might be from US) which do a sports bra called "Sports"

http://int.debenhams.com/us/product/black-non-wired-sports-bra/150010207260/?categoryId=839079

I have 34E's (I should add they go up much higher and I have reccommended these to lots of ladies) and I love these so much that I have circa 10. I wore them every day whilst deployed and they hold up really well. They also don't give you the madonna boob that Shock Absorbers do. They provide good support without crushing them!

Hope that helps.

Nikki
  • MancLass
    MancLass Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I would echo the comments about Enell. I'm 34F and have tried every brand going and Enell is by the far the best. They are a US brand so may be more affordable if you live there; I'm in the UK so they are pricey, but definitely, definitely worth it. I won't consider running in anything else, I'd rather not bother. They are a bit hot to wear, but any slight discomfort is worth it.
  • conqueringsquidlette
    conqueringsquidlette Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    good i wish i ahd half this problem :(
    xs on top
    s on bottom

:(
    :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :brokenheart: :ohwell:

I would be SO happy to trade you anytime you like. ;)
  • bokchoybaby
    bokchoybaby Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    A lot of full bust bloggers swear by the Panache sports bra but because of its molded cups, when it's a bust it's a bust. I'm sort of an unusual full bust fit. I'm high set so there was too much bra there. I had actually sized up for the sports bra because I was between the GG/H in Panache bras at the time. The bra fit me beautifully up until the point where the average bra would normally stop at the gore but above that point there was still quite a lot of fabric. The optional racerback clip took care of that a bit as well as cut down on some of the bounce. However, it brought the bra square into my armpits for extra chafing (thanks to long distance running and bad bras my armpits essentially look like lampreys have been having a go at me). It's also worth noting that even runners who felt like they had a perfect fit still felt there was too much bounce. But with maybe three sports bras out there manufactured for people in the G+ range there may not be a perfect solution for you. Sadly Shock Absorber run bra doesn't go up as high as their other sports bras, which seems to be common. Enell uses special sizing so if you're going to order one of those online make sure to check that out first. I've read good things about Freya's sports bra but it's not cheap, either. For now I've been making due with the cheapest underwire bra I can find underneath a compression bra. It's not a perfect solution but it's the best I've got for me right now.
  • bokchoybaby
    bokchoybaby Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    good i wish i ahd half this problem :(
    xs on top
    s on bottom

:(
    :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :brokenheart: :ohwell:
    You really don't. Runs filled with pain, leering, gawking and nasty comments from people who don't understand that body parts that contain fat are likely to jiggle no matter what you do are nowhere near as fun as they may seem. Not to mention that these bras we're talking about are often $70 a piece, not because they're super cute or extra awesome but because that's all there is. :sad:
  • willdob3
    willdob3 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Check out Title Nine online. They have a large selection of styles & sizes and have the level of support listed also.
  • mathandcats
    mathandcats Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I would definitely recommend the Shock Absorber Ultimate Run bra. It's the first bra that lets me run or do jumping jacks with no bounce whatsoever.

edit: Amazon.com has a listing of it in white 38G for $24.
  • LiftAndBalance
    LiftAndBalance Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    The two finger rule mainly applies to regular bras - I guess if a sports bra is tighter than that, it doesn't hurt as long as it actually doesn't hurt ;)

And I absolutely second the suggestion to jump up and down and just generally move (bend over, shake your upper body). I always do that when I buy even regular bras.

I just realised that the Shock Absorber I meant apparently is labelled differently by different retailers... This (http://www.lessbounce.com/sports-bras-racer-back/shock-absorber-active-multi-sports-support-4490-sports-bra_ct483pd354.htm) is the one I mean. If you're in the UK, that's also a good site to look around for sports bras (they do ship world wide but don't know if it's worth it to the US).
  • joansjourney
    joansjourney Posts: 110
    Options
    I'm a 38H also and I'm going to look into these.. thanks ladies.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    First I'd suggest getting measured profressionally. Then let them know you are looking for a sports bra.
  • shoeloveramber
    shoeloveramber Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Lane Bryant has awesome sports bras! A friend has tried a ton of various bras for her large chest and swears by and loves the ones that Lane Bryant sells. I tried one on and loved it but was not sold because of the price tag, now I am going to go buy one because what I have is not cutting it.