Best all around shoe?

Hi everyone,

I'm sure this topic has been covered more than once, but what is the best all-around running / trail running shoe for under a hundred bucks?

Replies

• brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Hi everyone,

I'm sure this topic has been covered more than once, but what is the best all-around running / trail running shoe for under a hundred bucks?

Which ever shoe fits your foot, stride, etc. For some it's a New Balance. For others Brooks or Nike or Mizuno or Asics or Merrell or Hoka or Adidas or .................
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member

For a road running shoe the best one is the one that's right for you gait, feels right to you and fits your budget.

Trail shoes don't have the same range of options; motion control, cushioned etc as road shoes, but equally they tend to be a bit less comfortable on road.

Personally I'll use my road shoes on some trails, or where there is a mix of tarmac and trail, but use my trail shoes where the surface is softer. I'd suggest thinking about where your focus is.
  • Rebamae
    Rebamae Posts: 741 Member
    I have just discovered "Gravity Defyer" and love, love them!
  • SapiensPisces
    SapiensPisces Posts: 992 Member
    Do you have a DSW shoe store near you? They have a lot of sneakers that you can try and several under $100.

My favorite pair of trail running shoes were New Balance ones that I picked up at DSW for $60 a few years ago.

ETA: You'll want to try on a few pairs before buying so I'd recommend not ordering online unless you already know the brand and model shoe you want.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    For me, and trust me, this is all about personal preference--->Asics GT-2000; best place to purchase Sierra Trading 30% off at $89, local retail $109. This is for road running, trails. . . .no idea. Best of luck.
  • H118
    H118 Posts: 9 Member
    A lot of sports-based shoe stores (or outdoor stores like REI) will have people there trained to look at your foot shape and stride and give you personalized suggestions based on your needs (ex: more arch support for a flatter foot).

They might try to point you in the direction of a more expensive shoe, but they also usually give lower cost alternatives for whatever kind of shoe you need.
  • drumbum77DW
    drumbum77DW Posts: 28 Member
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone. :bigsmile:

I ended up purchasing some ASICS Gel Cumulus 15's for $69.00. I believe they retailed for $115.00 so I think I got a pretty good deal. I ran them about 3 miles yesterday. The toe box seems a bit small, but overall I really like them.