Does IIFYM work?

Options
I have only been following IIFYM for 1 and a half weeks but an curious as to if it actually works. Or how long it would take to see any results? I lift 4 times a week and attend bazillion jiu jitsu 1 or 2 times a week. I am doing a pretty good job at hitting my macros but feeling like should I stick with it??

Replies

• mhasita
    mhasita Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I started seeing results 4 months into it, but everybody is different.

1 and a half weeks is just too soon to see results, I think a month to see results is more realistic.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Yes it does. Results are based on the person, not a timeframe.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

this!
  • budd91
    budd91 Posts: 16
    Options
    I wasn't expecting to see results yet it's just the doubts of starting something new making me question whether I should stick to it... I know it takes time and for once I will have to be patient
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    it will take about four to six weeks for your body to adjust and for you to start really seeing results…

keep eating in deficit, working out, and hitting macro targets….
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    It totally works, but the results and timing depend on a number of factors. What kind of deficit are you running? What's your weight loss goal? Are you eating back exercise cals?

If you are maintaining a healthy deficit (or even breaking even), you will see results eventually.

The good thing is, because it's not a fad, and rather a shifting of your eating priorities, even if it takes a bit longer, it will likely be something that you can sustain in the long haul a little easier.

Personally... I'd give it a few months.

And don't just go by the scale... Take measurements.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    I have only been following IIFYM for 1 and a half weeks but an curious as to if it actually works. Or how long it would take to see any results? I lift 4 times a week and attend bazillion jiu jitsu 1 or 2 times a week. I am doing a pretty good job at hitting my macros but feeling like should I stick with it??
    IIFYM and weight loss are not mutually exclusive. The former just describes a way of eating and the latter has to do with creating a deficit. If you've created a deficit then just be patient.
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options

It works, as long as you have a calorie deficit.
  • budd91
    budd91 Posts: 16
    Options
    In not sure as to what my deficit is. But I do have a calorie deficit I calculated my calories and macros using an online calculator. And am consuming 1717 calories a day. I do not eat back calories burnt during exercise. I don't input my exercise into MFP so that I am not tempted to eat more..

Great advise for taking measurements first thing on my to do lift when I get in from work :)

Thanks
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    IIFYM and weight loss are not mutually exclusive. The former just describes a way of eating and the latter has to do with creating a deficit. If you've created a deficit then just be patient.

Pretty much this.

A calorie deficit is what triggers weight / fat loss.

IIFYM is simply a method for choosing what you want to eat within that calorie deficit rather than picking items from a list of approved foods.
  • beccy2372
    Options
    Dumb question alert - what is IIFYM?
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    Dumb question alert - what is IIFYM?

If it fits your macros

The goal is to target your food consumption so that your calories fit in the recommended macro buckets. (ie protein, carbs, fats, etc) what you consume to meet those goals is not AS important, treats are OK.

But, remembering that healthier food choices will likely satisfy hunger better than a whole bag of cotton candy. :P

That said... If you have room and alway a few bites... Cotton candy is allowed.

Sorry to all the iifym folk if I over simplified.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    It will work if you are at deficit (if your goal is to lose weight).....

I do a form of IIFYM with my Intermittent Fasting.....

So working here.
  • lucas110783
    Options
    Ofcourse it works. I lost 66lbs(30kg) in 7 months. Regular training and counting calories that't the key.