Trying to be a Vegetarian and loving it.

Options
HI there, my name is Mayangirl....Mayan because I come from Guatemala the known birth place of on the most amazing ancient civilizations The Mayans. I came to the USA almonst 13 years ago and I was pregnant at the time, after having my beautiful boy and managed to lose my pregnancy weight quickly going back to my normal weight of 120 pounds. When my baby was 1 year old I quit my job to move to another city and could not find another as fast as I wanted that's when I started to eat out a lot and to cook a lot of fatty meals, I was at home being bored, depressed and getting fat, I think that getting the depo shot (anti pregnancy shot), had a lot to do with my weight gain. I went from 120 to 160 very quickly. That was when my battle with weight began. I started to look for quick ways to lose weight doing silly things like the cabagge soup diet, the egg diet also known as the Atkins diet and other stuff. I had manage to lose up to 30 pounds with exercise and diets. I tried the Jillian Michaels DVD's that are amazing for toning, also did the Turbo Jam workout, I sign up for the JIllian Michaels website for the meals plan and honestly it was so boring, they keep giving me the same exact menus every other week and was hard to follow so I canceled my membership. One day listening to my Podcasts and I came across Dr. Fuhrman's podcast and inmediatly grab my attention, he was talking about "eating to live" and I heard the term before and it made so much sense, I knew I needed to get back in touch with natures food and stop eating processed junk and fast food that was making me so sick and that had risen my cholesterol very high. Well, I began eating fruits and oatmeal for breakfast, salads with beans or tofu for lunch and cooked vegetables and soups for dinner. The change has been so nice, I have never seen so much fruit, vegetables and healthy food in my house. I have switched from drinking cow's milk to Almond or soy milk. My older kid had stomach problems and making the same changes for him have healed him without any medication. The eat to live book and diet is a primary vegan diet, but I get out of track and eat some animal products once in a while because I liked them still. I'm slowly changing my behaviour and I'm looking at food as a way to nurture my body. God has giving us so many beautiful, colorful, food that we really don't need to do all the silly things we do to it. Eating food in a natural way and organic as much as possible is the best way for my to stay in shape.

Replies

• Alleghany
    Alleghany Posts: 200
    Options
    YAY, Mayangirl! I've been eating this way for several years now and I'll never go back because I feel G-R-E-A-T! Glad you're finding a lot of success! :flowerforyou:
  • Mayangirl
    Mayangirl Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    :tongue:
  • mizfit
    mizfit Posts: 118
    Options
    Hi Mayan Girl

I hear you with the healthy eating. I just recently became a vegetarian a few months ago and I feel so much healthier and vibrant. I love almond and rice milk and I am enjoying vegetables again when I hardly ate them before. I don't miss meat at all. I still have eggs and some dairy because I won't be giving up chocolate although I have switched to dark chocolate. :tongue:
    I still have snacks but healthier ones. I'm lucky to have an abundance of health food stores around so I can get many great organic products.
  • 3Gr8kids
    3Gr8kids Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hi Mayangirl! I just purchased and read Dr. Furhman's latest book 'Eat for Health' and I'm so excited to incorporate the changes into my diet. Are you still following his food suggestions? If so, I'm looking to build a network of friends that are eating similar.
  • BlueSkye
    Options
    I am a vegetarian, have been for 5 years and i couldnt go back now. Welcome and good luck.