Anyone here with fibromyalgia? Or other illnesses?

Options
I have fibro, arthritis (in remission) and an underactive thyroid. It was suggested to me to try Pilates for the fibro as its meant to help lots. Which is basically whats kicked off the fitness/weightloss regime! A lot of fibro sufferers arent able to walk or move much but I'm not going to let it beat me! Any other warriors out there?

Replies

• flow2512
    flow2512 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Hi, I have osteo arthritis mainly in both hips, but also in both hands, arm and it's spreading to my shoulders.

My physio told me to walk, cycle and swim - they are the best low impact exercises, but I cannot swim, and to be honest I don't have the time, due to working at home, to go out cycling - but I bought a treadmill a few years ago and love it, I walk 3-5 miles every day, jeany thing from 10 mins at a time, to an hour or more - just start off slow and build it up, I put my iPad over the screen and read a book or play games while I am walking.

I started at 215 two years ago, and have lost weight in batches, but I am on the last leg now, I am 142 and will finish at 135, which is what my physio said I should be.

Add me, if you like as a freind
  • aledba
    aledba Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Hi! I just saw a post by babylinguist in the introductions area. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1211163-trying-to-get-fit-with-fibromyalgia
  • Janette3x4
    Janette3x4 Posts: 135
    Options
    Hi! I have graves disease (auto immune disorder) and recently had my hyper thyroid ablated and am going hypo. Also, osteo in one knee. Finding it hard to maintain my weight right now and I can't even hope for weight loss! Gaining steadily unless I eat minimal calories. About 1300 per day. I walk 2-3 miles a day at 3.5 mph. It might be helping my heart but does nothing for my weight! I am on HBP meds which I hear can help you gain weight. So frustrating!
    Best of luck and any tips are welcome!
  • SteampunkSongbird
    SteampunkSongbird Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    I feel you! I have osteopenia as a result of long-term undiagnosed coeliac disease and I found out recently I have hypothyroidism too. All the women in my family get arthritis or rheumatoid arthritis, of which I have the beginnings in my feet, so being on my feet for too long makes them ache. After going gluten-free I gained some weight, which is common with coeliac, and my hypothyroidism often means I'm too lethergic to work out for long; I'm also an insomniac which affects my energy level! So, there's a few things in my way, lol. Battling through it all though, as I've become truly tired of being overweight, and I know I can do it now, whereas before I was never confident that I could. You can do it too! :-)
  • Janette3x4
    Janette3x4 Posts: 135
    Options
    RA runs in my family as well. Hugs to everyone who suffers from any crippling disease! Be it physically or even mental! I have made a conscious decision to eat a plant based, low sugar diet, and it still hasn't helped me lose weight! But I do feel good and I try to concentrate on that for today.
  • Ginni2transform
    Options
    Hi :-) I am new here and just saw your post. I have FMS as well. It has been quite a journey in the past 6 years since diagnosis. Yet, I want to encourage you and anyone, including myself :-) that it is possible to overcome many of the physical boundaries and be victorious in our battle for health , fitness and weight loss. 4 years ago I weighed 273 lbs..last summer I was down to 180 lbs. I let myself go a bit over the past year again so I am finding myself again and yoyo-d in between 190 and 214 which is where I am at now, so the game is on again!
    I find that exercise helps even on days when I am in a lot of pain. Perhaps its serotonin effect...but I always feel better after some physical workout. I have the best energy level where I am not excluding carbs (I tried the Atkins or very low carb approach, which led me to worsening joint and muscle pains almost immediately). I consume lots of vegetable and fruit juices, and follow a primarily plant based diet with added eggs and lean meat. Juicing boosts my mood too which is crucial to push through during worsening of the physical symptoms. Meditation and relaxation is part of my daily life as well and I make sure I sleep at least 8 hours as possible..anything less than that and I am practically useless due to pains and severe physical exhaustion.
    Wishing everyone much luck and success. We are all heroes and heroines and should celebrate every bit of success as such. <3
  • potluck965
    potluck965 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Plenty of folks here with fibro. Please join our group if you would like http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/17616-chronic-pain-fibromyalgia
  • ljcrawford85
    Options
    I'm a 29 year old female with fibro and would love some support her - I'm new,. I'd love messages and a few friends/accountability buddies on here!
  • zahid222
    zahid222 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Hi, I have osteo arthritis mainly in both hips, but also in both hands, arm and it's spreading to my shoulders.

My physio told me to walk, cycle and swim - they are the best low impact exercises, but I cannot swim, and to be honest I don't have the time, due to working at home, to go out cycling - but I bought a treadmill a few years ago and love it, I walk 3-5 miles every day, jeany thing from 10 mins at a time, to an hour or more - just start off slow and build it up, I put my iPad over the screen and read a book or play games while I am walking.

I started at 215 two years ago, and have lost weight in batches, but I am on the last leg now, I am 142 and will finish at 135, which is what my physio said I should be.

Add me, if you like as a freind

Are you saying 10 minutes at a time that would combine to make 3-5 miles or are you saying you started of doing 10 mins at a time? My other question would be can you get your hear rate high enough if you are reading while walking?
  • swilkinson0705
    swilkinson0705 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Hi, I was born with a congenital heart defect. I have had had 2 open heart surgeries and an ICD implanted 2.5 years ago. Pacemaker/defibrillator. I went into heart failure almost 3 years ago and have clawed my way back to healthy and am now working on losing weight. I had been unsuccessful prior to MFP. It is slow and difficult as I can't run or do intense weight lifting which I believe would help. But, I am making progress and being on this site helps to encourage and inspire me.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    I have a brain condition called Chiari Malformation. :)
  • CindyMarcuzAdams
    CindyMarcuzAdams Posts: 4,006 Member
    Options
    I have fibro and osteoarthritis. My new knee is a year old and my old knee is going soon. I take cymbalta for pain and depression and it seems to be working. I have been able to walk so far 40 minutes at a good pace. It feels good to have a reason for pain rather than to hurt for no reason...

Anyone add me. I am a very active user if you need support.

Cindy
  • milmomto2
    milmomto2 Posts: 84
    Options
    I also have fibro and osteoarthritis. I take effexor for both, and have been able to get of all my other meds! My only exercise currently is walking. So far so good!
  • CindyMarcuzAdams
    CindyMarcuzAdams Posts: 4,006 Member
    Options
    I recall taking effexor years ago and it didnt nelp me. Its strange how different drugs affect different people.
  • fit_gal
    fit_gal Posts: 167
    Options
    Thank you all for the responses! I appreciate it. I am a lot more active now than I was a few months ago. I feel that the Amitriptyline I take near bedtime really helps as it gets me to sleep. I don't feel like I have constant flu anymore! I havent used a cane in ages and I hardly ever take painkillers. I used to have loads everyday. I am sure the med, my positive attitude and movement are really helping. Getting support helps too :)

My arthritis is psoriatic which means I have the skin condition psoriasis which I didnt realise I had! Only a small patch on scalps have broken out in it twice a few years apart but didnt know what it was. I am the only one in my family with arthritis and my daughter is the only coeliac! So we are starting a new trend!