Gaining Weight with Calorie Deficit and Exercise

Options
Hello all!

I'm currently recovering from anorexia and am trying to create a meal and workout plan that'll get me to my goals. For the last month or so I've been focusing on getting my appetite back and eating very clean foods. I'm still not back to a normal eating level and I usually average at about 1000 calories/day. I also do about 20-60 minutes of exercise each day that includes both cardio and strength training (I finished the 30 day shred and am now doing a series of workouts from fitnessblender). My nutritionist says that my BMR is1250 calories and that with exercise I should be eating 1500 to maintain and at least 1900 to gain.

However, I have gained 5 pounds in the last month despite the calorie deficit. So my question is this: how is it possible that I'm gaining? and, if I'm gaining weight at 1000 calories, should I keep woring to increase my intake?

Replies

• nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    Continue working professionals.
    Considering nobody here knows your complete history, you will not receive appropriate responses.
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    Continue working professionals.
    Considering nobody here knows your complete history, you will not receive appropriate responses.

Sorry, but this.

You should be asking your nutritionist and doctor about this, not mfp.
  • lasombrs
    lasombrs Posts: 30
    Options
    are you drinking 8 or more glasses of water a day? I go up abruptly if i don't and right back down after a day or two of doing so. I agree you should ask your doctor but at least in my mind if you used to eat way less because of your past your body isn't used to the new intake levels and may need to balance out before you start to loose the correct way. what the hell do i know though. :)
  • shewillbemodelskinny
    Options
    Hello all!

I'm currently recovering from anorexia and am trying to create a meal and workout plan that'll get me to my goals. For the last month or so I've been focusing on getting my appetite back and eating very clean foods. I'm still not back to a normal eating level and I usually average at about 1000 calories/day. I also do about 20-60 minutes of exercise each day that includes both cardio and strength training (I finished the 30 day shred and am now doing a series of workouts from fitnessblender). My nutritionist says that my BMR is1250 calories and that with exercise I should be eating 1500 to maintain and at least 1900 to gain.

However, I have gained 5 pounds in the last month despite the calorie deficit. So my question is this: how is it possible that I'm gaining? and, if I'm gaining weight at 1000 calories, should I keep woring to increase my intake?

It is most likely that from eating so little your metabolism has slowed and your stomach has shrinked somewhat and it's not used to the amount of food you are consuming now (hence the weight gain) over time your metabolism will get faster (but will never be the way it was before) and you will be able to eat more without gaining any weight. My BMR is 1450 but MFP says for my goal to eat 1290. So increasing your calories to a little less than your BMR to start off with or to your BMR would help reboot your metabolism and you will see minimal weight change (it will be mostly food weight and water weight), and then work with your nutritionist to make a good and healthy weight loss plan that you feel comfortable with even if the calories are a little high, you need your body to repair itself <3
    053069 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    i guess you are not eating enough and your body is in the starving mode, however the responses above are more appropriate, seek professional help.