Eggplant

Options
So, I have had a few people tell me that I need to try eggplant and that I would be surprised at how good it is. Is this true? I don't even know what to do with it if I bought it...any ideas? Any suggestions? What does it exactly taste like?

Replies

• runningneo122
    runningneo122 Posts: 6,962 Member
    Options
    When I was a kid, I was a REALLY fussy eater. My mom made eggplant parmesan and didn't tell me until after I ate it that it wasn't VEAL parmesan. Certainly lots of recipes out there. allrecipes.com or Bing search: recipes or diet recipes.
  • TedTorres
    TedTorres Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I've only had eggplant on a couple of occasions. I made eggplant parmesan the other day and it was fantastic. Don't think I'd eat it raw though.
  • sara_m83
    sara_m83 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    grilled eggplant - amazing. Eggplant parmigiana - to die for. Put it in pasta sauces, layer in it your low-cal lasagnas. But honestly, I absolutely love just slicing up an eggplant, throwing it in the oven for 20-30 minutes and eating it like chips.
  • MrsFoster18
    MrsFoster18 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the good idea's so far!
  • ifixyospeech
    ifixyospeech Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Epicurious.com has a lot of tasty and healthy eggplant recipes. I just made the "Herb Roasted Eggplant with Tomatoes and Feta" and it was delicious! Serve it over quinoa and it's got plenty of protein and nutrients without a huge amount of calories. I think it ends up being like, 310 calories/serving. Enjoy!
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    Aubergine Hummus

This is an awesome combination of Baba Ganoush and Regular Hummus. It is fantastic as a dip, or spread on some brown bread or a wholemeal pitta with spinach and sundried tomatoes.

Aubergine Hummus
    Serves: 8

1 aubergine
    1 garlic clove
    1/4 tsp salt
    2 tbsp lemon juice
    2g cumin
    200g chickpeas, dried
    1 tbsp olive oil
    1 chicken/veggie stock cube

Soak the chickpeas in water overnight
    Then cook them in the same water with the stock cube added in for 20 mins.
    Roast the aubergine until the skin is blackened. When it is cooled you can just peel off the skin and the flesh will be mostly mashable.
    Mash the aubergine with the crushed garlic, salt, cumin, lemon juice and olive oil.
    Drain the chick peas but reserve the water.
    Add the chickpeas to the aubergine mixture with a little of the reserved water and blitz with a hand blender. Add a little more water if it is too thick, but not too much.

It makes 8 large (100g) portions, but you could stretch it out further.

123 calories per serving, 3.4g F, 0.4g SF, 19.1 C, 4.1g S, 6.4g Fb, 5.6g P

http://heavling.blogspot.com/search/label/Hummus
  • OnionCookie
    OnionCookie Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Eggplant burgers are amazing!

http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/eggplant-burgers/Detail.aspx There's the recipe. XD